Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

rollcage? harness bar?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rollcage? harness bar?

after a near death experience i would like to add alot of saftey to the evo....so im looking to get a custom rollcage welded into my already stripped down car.....my question is do i also need a separate harness bar from someone like sparco? are there any plan i can give to my welder so he can make a fully race compliant cage?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in aww of your signature...... You seriously charge people?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some cages come with an option of harness mounts. there's this one...https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hreadid=216682
but that one is fully removable...you might want a permanent one.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

A cage in a street car is not a good idea. It can cause injury in an accident since you wouldn't have a helmet on. Not to mention your passangers in the back could also get hurt.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ray3328
A cage in a street car is not a good idea. It can cause injury in an accident since you wouldn't have a helmet on. Not to mention your passangers in the back could also get hurt.
Who said anything about a streetcar and passengers in the back?

I know the Autpower rollbar comes with a harness bar fabbed into it.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

What are your plans for the car? If you are tracking it, you need to build the cage according to the rules and regs of whatever organization you plan to run with. That goes for a rollcage OR a rollbar. Either a rollbar or rollcage usually incorporates a harness bar into the design. I just installed the Autopower bar in my car a couple of weeks ago.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

I have some good advice having had rollcages in all my previous cars.....

Never have people in the back of a car with any roll bar or cage....in a side impact their heads will be toast.

As far as a car that is driven on the street at all....I would get a 4 pt. All the bars should be behind the driver and passenger seat....This way in a accident your head is not bouncing off halo bars or dash bars.

For race get whatever fits your budget while staying safe. Personally I would spend the 3-5K for a custom cage that will be complete with cross bar/dashbars/underdash bar/side impact bars/harness bar

To ensure that u get the most out of it make sure the welded plates at the base are very strong and fit properly and also weld the main hoop and dash bars to the pillars with sheet metal and use a dolly to get rid of excess material...

The last thing you want out of a cage is something that will make your car more dangerous than stock.....this means bars that are not custom fit to be snug at the pillars......all of these cheap u-weld cages seem to have bars that interfere with the driver (ex. dash bars not going through dash but in front)