Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The dreadful Evo Interior!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dreadful Evo Interior!

Do all the people that dog the lancer interior not realize that the dash and interior parts are made of identical parts as the imprezza(well not identical...same material). It's a thing called plastic....plastic is plastic....it all looks cheap in my opinion....but I must admit the layout of the lancer in my mind is much nicer. The imprezza lacks imagination....inside and out, for that matter. Don't get me wrong I like both cars very much...and I do own an EVO, but I am glad these cars are here like all he 20 million other people have said. But just remember the imprezzas interior is not far of the lancer in terms of elements used to make it, it's pretty much a matter of texture and layout of the interior peices people are seeing as cheap. Other than that these cars could not be any more similar as far as interior goes. I just don't understand the why the imprezza interior is all that much better???!!!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Personally I prefer the Lancer and Evo interiors. I don't see the problem personally. I've seen far worse in cars that cost far more.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:40 AM
SRD
Evolving Member

plastic is not plastic...
there are hundreds of different types of plastic!
different textures, properties...

dunno what subadu uses or what mitsu uses.
but look at like a luxury vehicle plastic...its much better!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I don't get the Impreza/WRX/STi people ******* the Lancer/Evo interior. Both the Evo & WRX's interiors are plain, cheap, and business-like - nothing to brag about. But, they are also clean & easy to reach. Both are a step down compared to a Civic imo, but both are far better cars.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Subadu is the bomb....
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

I've noticed writers really haven't been ******* the Sti and Evo about "dreadful" or "cheap" interiors....very negative words.

They have been writing that the interiors are "spartan" or "work-a-day"....These words are only subjectively negative in tone.

I really don't think the interiors are bad. They are basic, but substantial and sturdy in structure. This goes along perfectly with the overall design theories of these cars. So I see no problem with it.

SC~
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

I don't see a problem with it...but it seems more to me that the suby guys use that as a point of justification to why they should get the subaru and a reason to dog the evo....which to me is a poor argument. I am sorry but to SRD plastic is plastic.....it is all in thickness and texture...sure there are different varaints of plastics but in the end it is still plastic. I just think this is a poor argument that was started by a group of subaru extremists or subaru biased writers.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

do STI back seats come suede like the evo's?

i happen to like my interior...

only thing i HATE Is the single din radio
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly like the evo interior better over wrx, dunno about the sti though, haven't seen it yet up close and personal .
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:22 AM
SRD
Evolving Member

Different plastics have different textures and feel, some feel or appear cheaper. Some plastics break easier... some discolor cause of UV faster. Its not just the texture or thickness.

Basically if you use better plastic, its feels and appears better.
Look at a MB vs a civic, which has better plastic?
Not all plastic are alike...
its like saying metal is metal.

I'm not saying EVO plastic is better than Subadu or vise versa.
In these cars its about the same level of plastics.

Hey just wanted to share my knowledge.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:24 AM
pk!

Originally posted by favre95
I don't see a problem with it...but it seems more to me that the suby guys use that as a point of justification to why they should get the subaru and a reason to dog the evo....which to me is a poor argument. I am sorry but to SRD plastic is plastic.....it is all in thickness and texture...sure there are different varaints of plastics but in the end it is still plastic. I just think this is a poor argument that was started by a group of subaru extremists or subaru biased writers.
nope!
check out the Audi plastic or the BMW plastic even the VW plastic is nicer then the EVO or STi. Plastic is not plastic just like leather is not leather. Buy a leather jacket @ Wilson's (the mall) that's not the same leather Andrew Marc etc uses (same cows)

pk!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

I am not trying to compare plastic in a very technical sense but more in a simple "automobile" type of sense. Sure you can have a plastic that is resistent to the force of a bullet...or one that feels very sleek. But, in the automotive world plastics are not going to very much from manufacturer to manufacturer. Sure there are the differences...but all plastic contains very much of one thing and that is "poly(you fill in the ending)"...whether it be poly this or poly that....it all makes a similar product. I'm sorry but to say that the evo interior is cheap comapred to a very similar car like the imprezza is stupid and ignorant. Because the plastic is not going to be much different between the two.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

It may be a fast car, but the evo's interior ranks up there with Hyundai for look and feel. Nice seats though.
BMW and Audi know how to make a proper interior, and trying to convince me that all plastics are the same is not going to happen.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on don't comapre the EVO with BMW or Audi. If you want a fancy interior get a luxury car. I think everyone decided they wanted sport more than luxury when you bought the EVO. I don't mind leaving the nice wood and plastic and leather for great brakes, handling and 13 sec quarter miles!!!!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

When did I ever say BMW or Mercades or any of these manufactures have the same quality interior as the evo...I NEVER DID ONCE! I am trying to state the differences between the evo and STI interiors!!!! I never said the plastic in a luxury car is not better than ours...but plastic in the end is....plastic....trying to convince me that plastic is not plastic is dumb! I even said there are variances in plastic...but plastic in the end is plastic....plastic is not leather...or a quality interior product....it's cheap no matter how you cut it thats why these manufacturers use it. So they can make their money. But to say that plastic is indeed not plastic...is stupid...I never once said all plastics were created equal! But in terms of these 2 cars they are probably equal in quality thats all I was comapring.