Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

my Evo's VIN # is not in the database

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2003, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question my Evo's VIN # is not in the database

When I got my Evo about 1 month ago, my insurance company(State Farm) could not find it's VIN # in it's database. I thought it was because the car was new and hadn't been enter into the database yet. But I just call State Farm again recently and they still couldn't find my VIN in their database.

So I used CarFax to look up my Evo's VIN #, they didn't have it in their database either. I also tried looking up several eBay Evo's VIN #, I was able to find some of them in CarFax, but some were not in CarFax either.

I'm wondering anyone else here has the same problem? Any idea on who I should talk to to get my Evo's VIN # straighten out?
Old May 1, 2003, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Weird.
Old May 1, 2003, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

I tried ordering some touch up paint less than a month ago for my OZ that I bought in January and the Mitsubishi dealership that I bought it from couldn't look up the VIN for the correct paint code. It wasn't in their database yet... so he dialed up to the national Mitsubishi database and searched there - still no luck. I had to wait a day for him to call around and find the paint I needed (which took like a week).

Anyway, perhaps this is a Mitsubishi problem...
-N
Old May 1, 2003, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

This is probably due to the small number of Evo's that are out there currently, and the small number that will be produced.

The Type R's were not in the insurance databases for a few years either.

It's likely not a high priority for State Farm and other insurance co's to enter the trim level and Vin's for the Evo when there are other cars, that are produced i nthe hundreds of thousands, that need to be entered first.

SC~
Old May 1, 2003, 09:15 AM
SRD
Evolving Member

aslong as that means I get the rate of a regular lancer!
haha
Old May 1, 2003, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SRD
aslong as that means I get the rate of a regular lancer!
haha
you laugh, but I went from a Ford Contour SVT to my new Evo, and my insurance rates went DOWN.
Old May 1, 2003, 09:25 AM

I have state farm insurance also, and I just got the insurance on my evo this past saturday. They didn't have the evo trim level in the computer, so they've insured me as a 2003 oz rally. however, not my fault if something happens, because I gave them the VIN. i won't be suffering because their dbase sucks.

I'm paying $150 a month at age 22 to insure an evo
Old May 1, 2003, 09:27 AM
kam

When I went to switch my insurance over to my new Evo, Progressive Insurance said there was a mistake in my VIN. I guess they could not find it. The funny thing was that I went from a cheaper, older, slower car to the Evo and yet my insurance rate went down slightly.
Old May 1, 2003, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

My rate went down A LOT going from a Type R to the Evo....down like $400 a year, even after decreasing my deductibles from $500/$1000 to $250/$250.

SC~
Old May 1, 2003, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by neilscully
I tried ordering some touch up paint less than a month ago for my OZ that I bought in January and the Mitsubishi dealership that I bought it from couldn't look up the VIN for the correct paint code. It wasn't in their database yet... so he dialed up to the national Mitsubishi database and searched there - still no luck. I had to wait a day for him to call around and find the paint I needed (which took like a week).

Anyway, perhaps this is a Mitsubishi problem...
-N
They don't need to look up the paint code from the VIN, they can do it from the paint code on the car. That's what my dealership did because they didn't have a sheet with the Evo codes on it. He found the code under the hood, up by the center connection for the strut brace. IIRC it was like 93W or something like that.

As far as insurance, I had the same experience. Progressive couldn't find the VIN, so they insured me as a regular Lancer. I told the lady it was high performance so she added that tag to it, too. My rates went up from my old Subaru 2.5RS.

Then I get a renewal notice in the mail the other day and the rater have gone down $500 and it says I'm insured as a Lancer OZ. But they claimed my rates went down due to no accidents, claims, or violations. They have the correct VIN on the policy, so it's their fault if they're not charging enough for the car.
Old May 1, 2003, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
My rate went down A LOT going from a Type R to the Evo....down like $400 a year, even after decreasing my deductibles from $500/$1000 to $250/$250.

SC~
I guess the Evo's aren't as big of thief magnets as those Type R's, but still got to keep a close eye. Thank God I got a garage to put my Evo in
Old May 1, 2003, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

party now while you can. all of us with the new evo are lucky we got it now. Progressive lowered my insurance quote. they have no info in the car. it is so new to america they have no data on the car. and besides there are so few evos available right now it would no make sense to steal it. IMO. so for now I am grateful for ignorant insurance companies
Old May 1, 2003, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp

SC~
That's because ITR's are stolen left and right. There's no data for the Evo yet. With any luck Evo rates will remain on the low side.
Old May 1, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Good to hear that many people have the same problem, so I'm not the only one. But my State Farm found a VIN# in their database that's 1 digit different from my VIN (namely the 11th digit U(production plant), changed it to 4), they said it's a lancer turbo, and they put that VIN on my policy instead of the real VIN. Sould I tell them to change it now or wait till they enter the real VIN into their database?
Old May 1, 2003, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, same thing happened to me, since the insurance db doesn't have any data for the car, my AAA insurance agent just use other info he has (hp, body style, cost of car) to do the quote.

Quick Reply: my Evo's VIN # is not in the database