Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Body rust!!! How much is too much???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't quote me, but I heard if you live close to the ocean the air can carry the salt. Besides having to live so close to the ocean, it would have to be non garage kept for a real long time for anything to start to really rust. Keep your eye on it, i am curious.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ih8emos
It's not uncomon to see that much rust. If you wnat I would recomend using POR 15 to cover it up. the stuff works great.
When you say cover it up, do you mean removing it first and then applying? Or can I just put it on over the rusted spots?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BUCKNAKED
When you say cover it up, do you mean removing it first and then applying? Or can I just put it on over the rusted spots?
Nevermind. I just went to their websight, answered all my questions. Looks like a great product im gonna try it. THANKS!!!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Two words: Naval Jelly

And I don't think you have much to worry about living in FL, evo_skillz. (nick?) Sure there's a little salt in the air, but it's nothing like the slush that coats the bottoms of cars up north.

Now why doesn't someone make a hose attachment that you can drive over and rinse the underside of your car? I bought a couple of flat lawn sprinklers for my winter playtime driving, and they work pretty well, but seems like there's a market, especially up north, for a better solution.

Last edited by Killboy; Aug 31, 2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Scrap off the loose rust, make sure there is no grease or oil on it. Paint the POR 15 over it, you dont need to paint it unless the area is exposed to UV rays.
http://www.por15.com/
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

When I change the oil, etc. the underbody has a lot of rust. The pics are various areas, but it is around the welds of the suspension mainframe. Is this normal?? I never paid any attention on other cars I've owned but this seems excessive.
Am I the only one with this problem or is it even an issue at all. I read of the post about the rear bumper mounts rusting out, but this is like cancer all over the underbody!!!
...Most of that stuff is just surface rust. The metal there is thick. Mine has rust under the hood...radiator support where the ACD pump is...the metal looks like its separating and in between the metal is rust...also my sun roof, where the roof seem is folded, the edges are lifting with like a rust bubble....This is an 05.
My 03 came with "Rust Defender" There were two little black boxes that had a red flashing led, and was double sided taped to the frame. Not a lick of rust on that car.

If it get's bad Im going to the dealer!.....I have a 100,00 mile bumper to bumper warrenty, so we shall what mitsu does.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

You guys have all that snow....and the salt...havic on the evo I bet.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i'd imagine thats exessive from road salt...i always wash my car after snow falls and any time i go to the coast....even if i'm not directly on the beach the salt air can cause rust over time...
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

In Florida we just have to deal with the sand! It gets everywhere.
Whats crazy is alot of guys running around without the air filter for that extra 2 HP!
Motor loses compression in like a month.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it is just surface rust and that you are overeacting. But it is going to get worse.

The road salt eats up all northern cars. Thats why when I try and sell a car to someone down here and the CARFAX shows it came from a northern state, most people here don't want it.

Buy yourself a $500 beater and leave the Evo in the garage all winter like plenty of people do that live where you are.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Makes me glad I live in New Mexico. we hardly ever see any snow at all. Maybe 5-6 days at the most each year. good luck to you.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

I Assumed all that black gunk that gets all over my arms when I mess under the car protected the underbody from rust. Doesn't yours have any? The black gunk that in some thread I read way back that some dude scraped off and saved like 20 lbs lol...
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I think it is just surface rust and that you are overeacting. But it is going to get worse.

The road salt eats up all northern cars. Thats why when I try and sell a car to someone down here and the CARFAX shows it came from a northern state, most people here don't want it.

Buy yourself a $500 beater and leave the Evo in the garage all winter like plenty of people do that live where you are.
but then you cant' play in the snow :-P
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
...Most of that stuff is just surface rust. The metal there is thick. Mine has rust under the hood...radiator support where the ACD pump is...the metal looks like its separating and in between the metal is rust...also my sun roof, where the roof seem is folded, the edges are lifting with like a rust bubble....This is an 05.
My 03 came with "Rust Defender" There were two little black boxes that had a red flashing led, and was double sided taped to the frame. Not a lick of rust on that car.

If it get's bad Im going to the dealer!.....I have a 100,00 mile bumper to bumper warrenty, so we shall what mitsu does.
You have all that rust and you live in the Sunshine State! I thought my case was bad!!! I have zero rust on the body, just the underbody esp. the weld areas. What is the "Rust Defender" It sounds like a possible solution, never heard of it.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

I checked out my build sheet for my 2003 evo, that thing was $679.00!

It was like two black boxes, basically grounded the chasis. People would ask whats that light blinking in the engine bay. It was the little red LED that said it was working.
Seemed to work, cause my Wicked White 05 evo is showing signs of something funky going on with the metal.
Makes me wonder where the car has been before my dealer recieved it...
I snap some shots of what Im talking about tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Body rust!!! How much is too much???