Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Body rust!!! How much is too much???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body rust!!! How much is too much??? pics!

When I change the oil, etc. the underbody has a lot of rust. The pics are various areas, but it is around the welds of the suspension mainframe. Is this normal?? I never paid any attention on other cars I've owned but this seems excessive.
Am I the only one with this problem or is it even an issue at all. I read of the post about the rear bumper mounts rusting out, but this is like cancer all over the underbody!!!
Attached Thumbnails Body rust!!! How much is too much???-p8310234_edited.jpg   Body rust!!! How much is too much???-p8310237_edited.jpg  
Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks to me like it is on the sub frame, who care's it can be replaced... right. Its that cheap jap metal
Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

wow that's alot of rust,what year is you car how many miles u have? do you drive you car on the winter?, what i would do is sand the rusty spots with sand paper and then put a coat of ill forgot the name of that product.

i get back to u on that.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

subframe undercoating you can find it at you local part's store.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I have to drive it year round in good old Chicago winters. Its a 03 BTW. Thanks for the tips. Do all you "warm winter" states not have subframe rust at all??
Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BUCKNAKED
Yeah I have to drive it year round in good old Chicago winters. Its a 03 BTW. Thanks for the tips. Do all you "warm winter" states not have subframe rust at all??
It's mostly the salt that causes it. Places that don't salt will have very minimal rust.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

chicago represent
Old Aug 31, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

What happen to the under coating? I guess that's how mine will be. I will be driving in winter....
Old Aug 31, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

rust never sleep's just remember that guy's,if you drive you car on the winter spray the undercarriage of you car with water to get some of the salt out.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

WTF...damn that's a lot of rust. Makes me wonder if I should really get the evo. Why do they rust so easy. for crying out loud the car is 30k what is mitsu thinking, or is this a rare situation with the evo. please excuse my ignorance because I want to buy one but I want to make it's going to last me a while.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Dude any car will rust ... if you get salt and **** on it. You have to spray your car down with water especially the bottom after you drive. atleast do it once a week
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanInPA
What happen to the under coating? I guess that's how mine will be. I will be driving in winter....
I read somewhere that Evos aren't normally undercoated, and that only the US destined ones are. And since it isn't done as part of the normal factory build, the quality of the undercoating coverage can be "spotty".
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turtlelancer
Dude any car will rust ... if you get salt and **** on it. You have to spray your car down with water especially the bottom after you drive. atleast do it once a week
I'm **** about taking care of the car and do the best to rince off the salt.....but its funny you dont hear of any other car company or even the standard Lancer for that matter having so many rust issues. Its so disgusting to work underneath such a hot awsome car and look at rust instead of black. Especially when Mitsubishi goes through so much to put a nice undertray to protect and keep engine relatively clean but then forget the rest of the car. My cars undercarrage looks like an episode of Overhaul'n!!! And the sad part is I am not the only one it seems.

Last edited by BUCKNAKED; Aug 31, 2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Do you think I would have to worry about any rust issues....;I live in florida?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:22 PM

It's not uncomon to see that much rust. If you wnat I would recomend using POR 15 to cover it up. the stuff works great.
The following users liked this post:
Lightsaber (May 5, 2023)

Quick Reply: Body rust!!! How much is too much???