Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone use Purolator Oil filter instead of factory?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone use Purolator Oil filter instead of factory?

I'm doing an oil change and about to use the Purolator Pure one PL14610. At first I didn't think it mattered but after removing the factory one I see a difference in size. The purolator is skinnier and alittle bit taller. It seems to fit fine I just want your thoughts.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every aftermaket filter I've used is bigger than the mitsubishi factory one. I have not had any issues with the purolator pure one or the regular one so you should be fine.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I used the mobile one filter which is exactly like the purolator one was far as size goes. It fit just fine and I have not had a problem since...SO i think you should be fine with the purolator one...
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

I use the mobil1 filter and it's skinnier and longer than the stock filter just like the purolator described above. It's confirmed to be the correct filter for our cars so I'm guessing the purolator is fine as well. My brother is a master mechanic and recommends the pureOne filters and says they are about the best after market type filters you can buy and to stay away from Fram mainly. I've been using the purolator pureOne filters for years now but decided to go with the mobil1 filters on the evo for some reason.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:18 AM

Thanks guys I apprciate the help. Load off my shoulders. Stinger I don't use Fram ever since a oil filter backed off my silvia and I spun a bearing. Never again will I buy that crap. Thanks again guys
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

I would highly reccommend the factory filter.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

I did some research into the subject before I did the first oil change on the car. Although it isn't the PL14610 that's used in this comparison, it's a good comparison of quality out there.

http://mymiata.paladinmicro.com/MiataOFilters.htm

From what I remember
Mobil1 == K&N
Purolator == Advance Auto TotalGrip

That doesn't mean the Purolator is a cheap filter, but rather that the AA Total Grip is a good filter for very cheap. The only difference is the material of the anti-drain back valve.

+1 for Purolator.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
I would highly reccommend the factory filter.
I highly agree. I've used a mitsu filter on my car ever since I owned my 95 gst. Aftermarket filters tend to develope a tick in the motor after awhile so I just stick with the best.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
I highly agree. I've used a mitsu filter on my car ever since I owned my 95 gst. Aftermarket filters tend to develope a tick in the motor after awhile so I just stick with the best.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=224115
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
People laugh at me when I say it but every DSM guy that I know and has tried it has the same results.

Using the factory filter always decreases that deaded lifter tick....
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MiamiEvo8
I'm doing an oil change and about to use the Purolator Pure one PL14610. At first I didn't think it mattered but after removing the factory one I see a difference in size. The purolator is skinnier and alittle bit taller. It seems to fit fine I just want your thoughts.

PL14459 is a better match.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:12 PM

well i changed the filter already because i had no choice to but I will do a swap tomorrow when I go to the dealer. I don't want any problems so better safe then sorry.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

in my 03 8 i used the wix filter which i read great things about, in my IX i,m going to stick with the factory filters. just my opinion.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:57 PM
Pocket Mo

Anyone try the Amsoil filters? I used to run the Amsoil TSO series oil with an Amsoil eao filter in my rsx.

Nevermind, Amsoil doesn't make filters for the evo. Anyone use their oil though?

Last edited by andyktlee; Sep 18, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

I work At a Shop Called Precision Automotive, and we tried to do an oil change on my Evo and like The other guy said, The after market filter was different shape, but the company we use Group 7 has a filter that looks similar to the factory filter. Basicly i went and got Factory, i don't want to Blow a new motor. Careful with what filter you use they a pressure regulator in them.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Purolator Oil filter instead of factory?