Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Warranty claim problems/ No claim problems.
Submitted claim, wasn't honored or had problems
58.90%
Submitted claim, no problems getting it fixed.
42.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Warranty Issues <Mega Merge>

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they deny my warrany I'll just drag them right into court...and that will be that. I will spend more than the car is worth on proving my point...it WILL NOT be cost effective to deny me warranty work...
Old Jun 4, 2004, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ttiscio
Frome everything I have read inthe last year I never expect that Mitsu will ever honor the warrenty in any way. They already denied my clutch at 10k (really didn't expect them to cover). Just glad I did not purchase the extended plan.

We are all missing a really important point here. This guy bought his son a car to race. How cool is that! I need a new dad, would you like another kid!
oh you have no idea how cool msm is. the s2000 was his sons but they decided to pull the motor, send to cali and have a 10k rebuild that'll push it to 280 or so hps. well during the down time they decided to buy the evo but it was also an early graduation gift. hey mike, you're a cool dad!
Old Jun 4, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MSM_S2K
Yes and they pointed out to me that any "timed" events are explicitly listed in the warranty and referenced as racing. Racing is considered customer abuse and voids the warranty.

The motor on the Evo has not been torn down yet. Motor is making an odd sound. My calling it "blown" is premature, but service rep believes the motor will need signficant repairs.

My intent is to make sure everyone is aware of what Mitsubishi is up to. If you participate in SCCA or other time trial or full race events, you may want to use a screen name and not enter vehicle info.
"Racing" is in the warranty, "timed events" is NOT. Even if it were within Mitsubishi's legal ability to disclaim a warranty like this (it isn't), you are not contradicting the spirit of the warranty contract.

What you really have here is a bunch of a-holes at the low levels of trying to screw you. A couple of well placed phone calls is all it takes to fix this..
Old Jun 4, 2004, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
If they deny my warrany I'll just drag them right into court...and that will be that. I will spend more than the car is worth on proving my point...it WILL NOT be cost effective to deny me warranty work...
I think you raise a good point which is that all this warranty voiding is really a concerted bluff on the part of MMNA designed to scare modifiers and enthusiasts, etc. into submission.

In the end it would still be upon Mitsubishi to prove that the particular modification, timed event, HPDE, etc. was the proximal cause of any failure.

In the case of our clutches, transfer cases, gear synchros, etc. - there have been enough demonstrated warranty repairs that it shouldn't be hard to show that these parts fail just as often under "normal" operating circumstances.

I mean ****, the fact alone that the car is advertised as having a 0-60 speed that cannot be achieved without warranty-voiding action should be cause enough for suit.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

First, let me say that I am not condoning ANY of Mitsubishi's actions.

Second, I seriously doubt Mitsubishi has hired a team of web surfers. I'm sure everyone has heard Google. Typiucally a search engine is harnassed to a database and it rips through keywords and specific websites. It's not very hard to amass a huge amount of relevant data.

Third, everyone does realize how really, really bad off Mitsubishi is, right? Desperate times require desparate measures. This recession we're in is hitting all car manufacturers. The ones that screwed up and lent massive amounts of money to deadbeat idiots like Mitsubishi did are going down hard. If I were a stockholder I'd be pissed and I'd be looking for the head of their credit and risk dude on a platter.

Fourth, not that I'm the lawsuit type but does anyone else think we've got a class action lawsuit in the making? I'm certainly no lawyer and I rarely play one on the Internet but I'm thinking that some sort of implied "warranty of fitness" has been breeched. A warranty of fitness for a particular purpose applies when you buy a vehicle based on the dealer’s advice that it is suitable for a particular use. For example, a dealer who suggests you buy a specific vehicle for hauling a trailer in effect is promising that the vehicle will be suitable for that purpose. Another example might be a huge tabloid size four color brochure that proclaims the race-bred heritage and racecar-like performance of the vehicle. Does anyone remember the Evo brochure handed out by the dealer that said in bold type "Go forth and modify" with lots of photos of toothy grinning engineers in their factory issued jump suits?!?

The problem with a lawsuit is that it would probably "kill the patient". I'd be happy to see Mitsubishi settle for $1 and then subject all refused warranty claims to a special arbitration review process.

At least my expectations regarding the powertrain warranty on my Evo were low. I expected nothing from Mitsubishi. They aren't letting me down.

Just my two rubles...
Old Jun 4, 2004, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
What you really have here is a bunch of a-holes at the low levels of trying to screw you. A couple of well placed phone calls is all it takes to fix this..
Are you kidding? This goes to the very very top of the food chain. is in such dire straights their management is more desparate than Tyrone Biggums for crack. They're practically on their knees begging to give ********.

Last edited by propellerhead; Jun 4, 2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

From the conversation I had with the district manager in my region, ANY timed event or high speed event held on a race course would render my Evo's waranty null and void. That was after he had already informed me that they were placing a "waranty flag" on my car, and any waranty related repairs would require his personal approval.

If you don't want to street-race and expect Mitsubishi to stand behind their car, you may need lawyer. As I've said before, I guess Mitsubishi would prefer it's customers killing people on the streets.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erioshi
From the conversation I had with the district manager in my region, ANY timed event or high speed event held on a race course would render my Evo's waranty null and void. That was after he had already informed me that they were placing a "waranty flag" on my car, and any waranty related repairs would require his personal approval.

If you don't want to street-race and expect Mitsubishi to stand behind their car, you may need lawyer. As I've said before, I guess Mitsubishi would prefer it's customers killing people on the streets.
These are the very jackasses I'm talking about...they are not lawyers and only understand what they can do from a practical standpoint. I'm sure they get brownie points every time they figure out a way to make people "think" that they don't have warrany covererage when they really do...just say,' ok, see you in court' and leave it at that...as soon as they start having to pay lawyers 300 bucks an hour to defend a $2000 lawsuit they will see the light...
Old Jun 4, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Mentioned this to the GM and the service manager, who know I've got a hole burning in my pocket. His stance was if Mitsubishi sticks the cars in movies such as 2Fast 2Furious, and advertises 0 - 60 times that will definitely result in premature wear, they better back it up.

Apparently he's replaced a few transfer cases and clutches on customer cars, one in which abuse was blatantly obvious -- when they removed the transfer case, the gears fell onto the shop floor. In these cases, he fudged the claims to let Mitsubishi cover it, but told the customers that if they come in again with a problem that is undeniably abuse, it'll be out of their own pocket.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

thats-gay.....
Old Jun 4, 2004, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MisterSpoot
Mentioned this to the GM and the service manager, who know I've got a hole burning in my pocket. His stance was if Mitsubishi sticks the cars in movies such as 2Fast 2Furious, and advertises 0 - 60 times that will definitely result in premature wear, they better back it up.

Apparently he's replaced a few transfer cases and clutches on customer cars, one in which abuse was blatantly obvious -- when they removed the transfer case, the gears fell onto the shop floor. In these cases, he fudged the claims to let Mitsubishi cover it, but told the customers that if they come in again with a problem that is undeniably abuse, it'll be out of their own pocket.

That's the way its supposed to be
Old Jun 4, 2004, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Another member whose warranty was voided because of autocrossing ...https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=82691
Old Jun 5, 2004, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

This is very common but also logical. Subaru is doing the same thing.

If you beat the hell out of your clutch, do you really think you should get it repaired free? If you crank the boost and a piston melts, should that be covered under warranty? If I took my "stock" car and went out and did a rally event and blew the motor, should Mitsubishi fix it under warranty?

Racing is racing... If Peter Solberg went and bought an STi off the showroom floor and then entered it into a drag racing event, should Subaru cover the warranty? They absolutely wouldn't if he went to a rally in it. So what's the difference?

Any time you enter a racing event, you already know that you will be "abusing" the car. Could you imagine how great it would be if NASCAR teams could buy their cars with "warranties" so that everytime they blew the motor it would get replaced for free?

If you plan on racing the vehicles you purchase, then you should plan on paying for the things that you break along the way. Yes, it sucks, but it is only fair. If your stereo dies, then it's a different story... This holds true for EVERY manufacturer. Even Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, or BMW will only go so far. Yes, since you paid more they tend to be more lenient. However, when it comes time to replacing your motor a second time... then they start asking questions.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

You are missing the point extremely. Peter Solberg running in a rally is hardly comparable to an autocross event. Nascar cars are not even close to stock vehicles, hell not even a damn piece is "stock." There is a huge difference. An autocross event is not much more abusive than everyday driving. Your concept of paying more and the dealers looking the other way is laughable. When it comes down to it, BMWs warranty is spelled out the same way in black and white just as the Mitsubishi warranty is, its just the difference in service departments. Like I said before though, Mitsu will back down when it comes time to go to court, because they know its becoming rediculous.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WhosEVO
i can't believe this is happening.....Mitsubishi is stupid to do that.
Subaru give out one yr free SCCA membership to every WRX/STI buyer.........what a joke to the Mitsubishi !!!
Much as I'd like to claim this one as a victory of Subaru over , , the fact remains that Subaru of America is every bit as sh!tty as Though I have no direct experience of this (I'm from Singapore), many of the posters from the US on my WRX board have complained about arbitrarily voided drivetrain warranties, even without proof of racing, just a "suspicion" of "abuse". So that SCCA membership is like a "get *into* jail free card".

Quick Reply: Warranty Issues <Mega Merge>