Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Warranty claim problems/ No claim problems.
Submitted claim, wasn't honored or had problems
58.90%
Submitted claim, no problems getting it fixed.
42.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Warranty Issues <Mega Merge>

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive read through this thread in serious disgust, to be honest with you all.

only in america would you see a thread like this.

SUE SUE SUE SUE SUE GET A LAWYER SUE SUE SUE SUE not my fault someone elses! they lead me to believe that..... SUE SUE SUE

im going to puke.

and what for??

you took the car out to a racing event and beat the living **** out of it and something failed. news flash: machinery does that. it has a finite, limited life span. they warranty the things against MANUFACTURER DEFECTS. not issue you a blank check 'all parts and labors coverage' racing sponsorship.

sounds more to me like needing to take responsibility for your actions instead of blaming someone else for it. they make all those claims about the car and what it does, but every car thats ever raced has failures all the time from stress. you can go out and wind the thing up, but face it: racing is racing, and auto x'ing counts. you spend lots of time on cyclical loading and high boost and high revs all of which are high stress for the power train. drag racers who go and drop their clutch from redline shouldnt have their gears covered imo.

you people know exactly what stresses you are putting on the car when you go out and do these things and trying to blame mitusbishi for the way YOU drove the car is crazy. the only flip side i can see with this is having the thing torn down and making them substantiate that it wasnt a manufacturing defect.

sorry for the rant. i think that manufacturers need to do a better job as to what constitutes a non covered failure, but they are also clearly within their rights to void your warranty for a competitive event as noted in their warranty language. and guess what, every car manufacturer has that. . getting pissed off at them for exercising their rights under the contract is plainly socially irrisponsible....of course, in this country that means you will get paid double.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry, but if a car has a failure during a 60-second span of spirited driving, then either the car already had a manufacturing defect that showed up earlier than anticipated, or the car wasn't built for what was advertised in the first place.

I seriously doubt there are many equipment failures in a stock vehicle during an autocross event. If I managed to blow a strut during an autocross event, the strut was probably going to blow during an emergency lane change maneuver on a highway or any other major thoroughfare. If a brake failure happened at an autocross event, it would likely occur if I locked up the brakes enough to have ABS engage to avoid an accident.

Seriously, I'm fairly certain than a stock Evolution would be at least as durable as a stock Toyota Camry in an autocross event. I wouldn't expect either of the two vehicles to have a serious mechanical failure.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by KurtP
ive read through this thread in serious disgust, to be honest with you all.

only in america would you see a thread like this.

SUE SUE SUE SUE SUE GET A LAWYER SUE SUE SUE SUE not my fault someone elses! they lead me to believe that..... SUE SUE SUE

im going to puke.

and what for??

you took the car out to a racing event and beat the living **** out of it and something failed. news flash: machinery does that. it has a finite, limited life span. they warranty the things against MANUFACTURER DEFECTS. not issue you a blank check 'all parts and labors coverage' racing sponsorship.

sounds more to me like needing to take responsibility for your actions instead of blaming someone else for it. they make all those claims about the car and what it does, but every car thats ever raced has failures all the time from stress. you can go out and wind the thing up, but face it: racing is racing, and auto x'ing counts. you spend lots of time on cyclical loading and high boost and high revs all of which are high stress for the power train. drag racers who go and drop their clutch from redline shouldnt have their gears covered imo.

you people know exactly what stresses you are putting on the car when you go out and do these things and trying to blame mitusbishi for the way YOU drove the car is crazy. the only flip side i can see with this is having the thing torn down and making them substantiate that it wasnt a manufacturing defect.

sorry for the rant. i think that manufacturers need to do a better job as to what constitutes a non covered failure, but they are also clearly within their rights to void your warranty for a competitive event as noted in their warranty language. and guess what, every car manufacturer has that. . getting pissed off at them for exercising their rights under the contract is plainly socially irrisponsible....of course, in this country that means you will get paid double.

Your ignorance is mind boggling. Did you not read where the SCCA rules stated that autocross is no more destructive than regular daily driving? Did you read this post at all?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by propellerhead
Does anyone remember the Evo brochure handed out by the dealer that said in bold type "Go forth and modify" with lots of photos of toothy grinning engineers in their factory issued jump suits?!?
Funny, the first thing that came to my mind was exactly this. Out of curiosity I went digging through my "EVO" papers and found my brochure.

Underneath the portion where it says "Go Forth And Modify" a disclaimer reads:

There are a lot of opinions in here about this topic.

Strolling into the dealership with a broken car and hearing "Sorry you raced your car, your warranty is now voided" from the service manager would definately not be cool. Since I don't want to even have to worry about hearing my service manager tell me this, I do not race my EVO.

It's the cases where people know they are racing or otherwise abusing their cars and expect them to be fixed under warranty that has policing warranties like a damn gestapo.

If YOU broke it racing, YOU pay for it.

Just my 2c.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo8DownUnder
Yeah, but they make crap and getting you to rice up your Scion is all part of Toyota trying to make their demo younger. If they have to fix a few cars, who cares in the big picture?
they only encourage you to mod with THEIR parts
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

From an engineering standpoint, yes some modifications should indeed void the warranty. But those parts should only void the warranty on parts that are directly effected. If someone is on lowering springs and blows a strut, then they pay for it. But if that person blows a motor, that should still be covered. Stuff like catback exhausts should have no effect on warranties, period. After this whole issue with Mitsu, it looks like they really dont want any more of my money, it seems though Nissan and Mazda are more than willing to treat customers correctly...
Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

My transfer case blew for the 4th time now! They ain't ganna do **** about it i bet...i hate mitsu...msm i'm goin to the dealer monday to get the print out
Old Jun 6, 2004, 03:09 AM
Evolving Member

So what about people that own other 03' and up Mitsu's? Are they getting shafted with warranty work as well? How is a Lancer OZ autocrossing any different then an Evo? Aside from the obvious..
Old Jun 6, 2004, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by bashemgud33
Your ignorance is mind boggling. Did you not read where the SCCA rules stated that autocross is no more destructive than regular daily driving? Did you read this post at all?

really? and how did they substantiate that? oh they didnt...oh ok...so, in other words, something where you have a defined start and finish that is timed where the goal is to get from the start to the end as fast as you can at high rpm boost and WOT and thats no more desctructive than reagular driving??

sounds to me like you are the ignorant one. machinery wears. the harder you use it the faster you make it go the more quickly it will wear. thats a fact of engineering life.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

really? and how did they substantiate that? oh they didnt...oh ok...so, in other words, something where you have a defined start and finish that is timed where the goal is to get from the start to the end as fast as you can at high rpm boost and WOT and thats no more desctructive than reagular driving??

sounds to me like you are the ignorant one. machinery wears. the harder you use it the faster you make it go the more quickly it will wear. thats a fact of engineering life.
Are you just trolling or do truly believe that driving around a parking lot around cones at speeds well under 60 mph is racing?

I bought the car for my son.
1. To keep him from getting in trouble street racing, I let him participate in SCCA Solo II
2. When I bought the car from the dealer, I was completely open with them about our plans to participate in SCCA Solo II events. As I mentioned in my first post, I even invited the sales person and manager up for a rid along. Dealer had NO issue whatsoever with this and even commented "... what a cool way to keep your son from getting in trouble on the street."

The definition of what constitutes "racing" is different pre & post purchase!?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by MSM_S2K
Are you just trolling or do truly believe that driving around a parking lot around cones at speeds well under 60 mph is racing?

I bought the car for my son.
1. To keep him from getting in trouble street racing, I let him participate in SCCA Solo II
2. When I bought the car from the dealer, I was completely open with them about our plans to participate in SCCA Solo II events. As I mentioned in my first post, I even invited the sales person and manager up for a rid along. Dealer had NO issue whatsoever with this and even commented "... what a cool way to keep your son from getting in trouble on the street."

The definition of what constitutes "racing" is different pre & post purchase!?
why do i have to be a troll just because i dont agree with you?? i have every right to make my point how i see it just as you do, im sorry that it isnt congruent with yours. in reference to your logic: you bought jr. a car to go to solo II events to keep him from street racing. so if solo II isnt racing how would it be an acceptable substitute FOR racing??

it most definately is racing. i dont care if you never get out of 2nd gear. the load on the engine isnt arguably lower than if you were at a higher speed because it is still at high boost, wot, and high rpm and you are in the field AGAINST COMPETITORS to do it as fast as you possibly can. im not saying the failure you had may not be related to a manufacturing defect that should be covered, my point is that mitsubishi is well within their rights to void your warranty. im not saying it doesnt suck, but would you want to cover a car out of your own pocket you knew was seeing regular high load use in competition?? its a WARRANTY not a RACE BUDGET. racing is defined by our dictionaries as " series of such competitions held at a specified time on a regular course" and "To compete in a contest of speed" the law defines it as "attempting to extract maximum performance of the vehicle" solo II fits both of those catagories clearly imo. and here is SCCA's own definition: "SCCA Solo is low cost, low risk motorsport. No competition license or roll bars are required - just add helmet. With over 1,500 SCCA Solo events each year for all levels of driver skill and car preperation, you'll have the chance to guage yourself against drivers from next door or across the Country." "SCCA Solo events, often set up in parking lots or any place with a large expanse of pavement, are all about a driver's ability to accurately and precisely maneuver around a pylon-marked course in the fastest time possilble.

If you think you have what it takes to beat the clock and your fellow drivers, then show up an SCCA Solo event. Prove that your're as good as your car looks, that you have what it takes to go fast. "

"We envision an inclusive community of enthusiasts that embrace, understand, appreciate, enjoy and preserve motorsport competition and related automotive activities." motor sport competition? thats not racing???

sorry but i disagree. mitsu has no responsibility to cover the damage caused by cars run in that by their language.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 08:18 AM

Not to burst your bubbles guys but if you haven't noticed thats what this world is about. MONEY !!!!!!!!! A company will do whatever it can to save money. A company i work for just added thousands of dollars worth of survaillance cameras and tvs to keep an eye on things but when it comes to give employee raises they low ball us and gives us 25 cents and say they aren't making any money. If you broke something repeatedly id shove you off also. But if its the first time id warrant it. Just my opinion. I got stuck with a markup id advise them to take it out of that lol. Keep fighting and be firm. These car dealers are all ruthless people when it comes to this stuff.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 08:21 AM

and the american victim mentallity sets in....
Old Jun 6, 2004, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

why do i have to be a troll just because i dont agree with you?? i have every right to make my point how i see it just as you do, im sorry that it isnt congruent with yours. in reference to your logic: you bought jr. a car to go to solo II events to keep him from street racing. so if solo II isnt racing how would it be an acceptable substitute FOR racing??

it most definately is racing. i dont care if you never get out of 2nd gear. the load on the engine isnt arguably lower than if you were at a higher speed because it is still at high boost, wot, and high rpm and you are in the field AGAINST COMPETITORS to do it as fast as you possibly can. im not saying the failure you had may not be related to a manufacturing defect that should be covered, my point is that mitsubishi is well within their rights to void your warranty. im not saying it doesnt suck, but would you want to cover a car out of your own pocket you knew was seeing regular high load use in competition?? its a WARRANTY not a RACE BUDGET. racing is defined by our dictionaries as " series of such competitions held at a specified time on a regular course" and "To compete in a contest of speed" the law defines it as "attempting to extract maximum performance of the vehicle" solo II fits both of those catagories clearly imo. and here is SCCA's own definition: "SCCA Solo is low cost, low risk motorsport. No competition license or roll bars are required - just add helmet. With over 1,500 SCCA Solo events each year for all levels of driver skill and car preperation, you'll have the chance to guage yourself against drivers from next door or across the Country." "SCCA Solo events, often set up in parking lots or any place with a large expanse of pavement, are all about a driver's ability to accurately and precisely maneuver around a pylon-marked course in the fastest time possilble.

If you think you have what it takes to beat the clock and your fellow drivers, then show up an SCCA Solo event. Prove that your're as good as your car looks, that you have what it takes to go fast. "

"We envision an inclusive community of enthusiasts that embrace, understand, appreciate, enjoy and preserve motorsport competition and related automotive activities." motor sport competition? thats not racing???

sorry but i disagree. mitsu has no responsibility to cover the damage caused by cars run in that by their language.

You are missing the point entirely. The semantics of the word "racing" is not what is in debate. It is 's reaction to someone using the car in a competitive event in a stupid effort to reduce the liability for a defect. Usually, a manufacturer wants to embrace the enthusiast community in an effort to raise brand awareness, even at the risk of some "questionable" warranty claims. Clearly, wants to have its cake and eat it too, whereby they sell a super focused, super high performance car in an effort to bring the brand name into play in a market that is very highly coveted, but then BLOW it by not taking care of the very people that step up and buy the car and use it as it was marketed.

Lets face it, right now is a **** company with **** management. The marketing guys are saying "we need this car and this image" while the operations guys are saying "screw that we can't afford to support it in the short term".

That, my friends, is a management problem, and exactly why is in the situation they are in financially.

Can you imagine the marketing impact the Evo would have if every customer that bought one walked away singing the praises of how well it is supported, what great service they get, and how well versed in Evo-ness the dealers are? I can hear it now, "I brought my trailered Evo to the dealer, it even had its numbers still on the side, and they COVERED my transfer case because they said it shouldn't have failed!" In the short term it costs money, but in the long term it will pay off huge.

Hell, if they could do all this, every gen y consumer would be clamoring to get one. And, maybe even Ralliarts, and Endeavers for the new baby and wife, and a Montero for mom.

Last edited by OnlineAlias; Jun 6, 2004 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 09:09 AM

well i didnt miss the point at all, really. i said they need to show it wasnt a manufacturing defect. the problem you run into is that you are going to damage cars more quickly racing and they are well within their rights.

secondly, while i completely agree management is a huge issue they need to start building cars people want to buy too....

Quick Reply: Warranty Issues <Mega Merge>