Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Never leave your car at a dealership..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I HATE Mitsubishi Dealers!!! I feel your pain, man.

We should do something against Mitsubishi Company!

I'm tired of dealers problems, I think that Mitsubishi company does not need clients anymore...
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To those of you saying the dealership did it...why don't you grow up. Do you have proof of this?

As for the dealer's responsibility...why should they be responsible? There is a reason why you have insurance. Most dealers have signs on their lot or printed on their Work-Up sheet stating that they are not responsible for any loss or damage that wasn't a direct result of their negligence.

Sorry to tell ya, but you're pretty much screwed unless you have the proper insurance coverage.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
The dealer should be responsible since the car was in their care the whole time. Also why wouldn't a cop show up? This is obviously a theft.
They don't show up anymore, they send out a form and you fill it in and send it back.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:49 AM

Like everyone else said, the dealership is 100% respoonsible for the damages.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
The dealer should be responsible since the car was in their care the whole time. Also why wouldn't a cop show up? This is obviously a theft.
i guess because it was private property, i don't know
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 02BLUR
They don't show up anymore, they send out a form and you fill it in and send it back.
When did this go into effect? Back when my radio was stolen last year I actually went down to the station and they told me to go home and call 911 because they needed to make the report where the car was. I called 911 and a cruiser came by, made the report and gave me the info.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soundave
Like everyone else said, the dealership is 100% respoonsible for the damages.
You sure about that? Most shops have signs stating to secure your valuables and that they are not responsible for theft of items in/on your vehicle. Have a look the next time you visit your local dealer.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
To those of you saying the dealership did it...why don't you grow up. Do you have proof of this?

As for the dealer's responsibility...why should they be responsible? There is a reason why you have insurance. Most dealers have signs on their lot or printed on their Work-Up sheet stating that they are not responsible for any loss or damage that wasn't a direct result of their negligence.

Sorry to tell ya, but you're pretty much screwed unless you have the proper insurance coverage.
I'm surprised noone else menioned the sign part. It's unfortunate, but every dealership I've been to has the "we're not responsible if you're sh*t get's f*cked up" sign somewhere.

I hate this fact because when I had my SRT in the shop (which was VERY frequent) they left it unlocked and outside on the lot overnight ALL the time. I checked on it a few times after closing to find it unlocked. I asked them not to do this, but they still did it.

So, pretty much, it's "technically" not the dealerships fault and it's pretty doubtful that you'll be able to sue them. Although it may be their negligence and apathy that caused it, those signs probably protect them pretty well.

Good luck though!!! I would atleast try to file a complaint with Mitsu America and the BBB.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
They took your car, they are responsible for it, sign or not, for all damages.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:19 PM

Wow the same thing happen to my evo at max madsen here in Il. The got my headunit, took out a window. and left my passenger door frame dented up pretty bad. And the dealer wont cover a damn thing. I hope they pay for yours. I think im going to sue the damn dealer folks.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

i ALWAYS take my faceplate + ipod out whenever I take my car to a dealership, leave it in a lot overnight (even at my apt), or somewhere else for an extended period of time. . .don't be a douche and think someone WON'T break into your car for a simple thing like a HU, sunglasses, CD's, ipod, GPS. . .people suck, and OUR CARS are VERY flashy. . .use your common sense. . .I'm not sure dealership has responsibility since they usually have liability clauses about storage in their lot, which they wouldn't have done had you gotten your clutch in time. . .sorry for the loss though
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

i think the dealership is responsible. youve entrusted your car to them and imho i think you can tell them "THEY DIDN'T PUT IT IN A SAFE PLACE." and thats their responsibility. of course theyll try to play you first to see if they can get away with it...see them in court. i hope you can find some time for it.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

not to sound irresponsible or just plain stupid, but dont they have any cameras at this place? If they dont, and continue to refuse to help re-commit the same thing to each of thier mitsu's until they get the point just kidding that will get ya some jail time. As for careless dealers, my parents had an audi and the dealer managed to beat the **** out of the paint on the back and drivers side of the car. After many times of denying it was them, they finally broke down and agreed to have it fixed (buffed out/paint repair)

Your best bet is to not let it go too long, the fresher the better. All dealerships have insurance, find out who they carry, and contact them directly. speak with a representive, and attempt to get an out of court fix. If they refuse to do so, then just explain to them that your lawyer will be contacting them very soon! good luck man, hate when this crap happens.

you didnt do it yourself did you? had to ask since everyone has been saying it was prolly the dealer.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

You'll be surprised what they'll be willing to do if you just have a lawyer buddy write them a letter. The sign probably gives them a small amount of protection and provides a deterent to people pursuing the issue.

How could a reputable dealership actually expect a customer to be responsible for their car while it's on their property because some type of service/repair takes more than one day and is not driveable between then and the next day.

A decent lawyer would have a field day with this.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude, I had a friend go through a very similar experience with a local dealership. He dropped the car off to have the 5th gear synchro warrantied and clutch installed while they had everything apart. He just left his brand new twin disc in the trunk. When the dealership was ready to put everything back together he recieved a call asking where this clutch he wanted them to install was. Sure enough it was an inside job. He called the police, they filed a report and Gillman refused any responsibility. Very sorry you had to go through all of this.

Quick Reply: Never leave your car at a dealership..