Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

dent removal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dent removal

hey everyone

last night went to target w/ the wife - pager alarm went off - went to check it out and found this:

w/ no one to blame...asked security if they possibly might have gotten the people on camera...filed a police report and awaiting word to see if they possibly seen the culprit...
now onto the q's
1) with winter coming around here (20 degrees consistently so far) would touch up paint hold on in this type of weather?
2) guesstimation of repair?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 04:58 PM
KY
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
touch up paint would work, but it wouldn't look good and the dent would still be there. I say take it to a good paint shop and have your insurance pay for it.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Call a reputable paintless dent removal shop. If paint is missing you will need to repaint. However if it is just scuffed you might be able to take some rubbing compound remove the scratches, and then get the PDR guy to take out the dent.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

i'm probably going to get an estimate tomorrow - it sucks b/c the bottom part is the worst part dented on a point which is pointed (huh?) ... i have a 500 deductible - i by chance it's more, doesn't your rates go up if you report it?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

I would pay out of pocket instead of going to insurance. From the pictures it looks as though their paint went on to your car which is easy to remove. A dent remover will easily fix the dent. Maybe $100-150. Sucks it happened to you though
Old Dec 8, 2006, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

estimate

hey thx for the replies guys

1st estimate total - 492.89

whaddya think?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

dent wizard
$200 max for PDR
if they think they can fix it , urs ding seems close to the edge ...
they wont charge u it did 100% fix it anyway
Old Dec 8, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akemi27

whaddya think?
is that including repainting? or just painting the scratched area?

if not thats obsered.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PDR for now and get it painted. Don't take it to a body shop until the dent has been removed. PDR (by the right person) is far superior to any kind of filler.
That bottom one looks like it may be pretty tricky, cause its on a bend line. However, a good PDR person will tell you straight up if he thinks he can do it or not.

That's why you should always park out in BFE. Remember, alarms don't prevent damage, that's the biggest misconception. Pager systems work better if you disable the actual alarm on the car itself. This way the person that does the damage has no idea that you have been notified. When ppl hear the alarm, they usually double time it to get the hell out of dodge.

Last edited by EVO8emUp; Dec 8, 2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

whaddya think?
Is that a shop quote or a paintless dent removal quote?

I would definitely go with paintless dent removal, it doesn't look like any of your paint is messed up (only transfer of the other car's paint/plastic onto yours - which can be removed by buffing).

Now, if you take it to a shop, they'll repaint your whole door and then it won't match the rest of the car.. AND charge you more than PDR.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:16 AM

Damn shopping carts.....I got hit on rear quarter panel and est. was ~$400 with re-paint. A paintless dent removal ($200) told me it would be 90% non-detectable because when its on a bend you might see a small ripple afterwards.

Last edited by Mattevo; Dec 8, 2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alexander
Is that a shop quote or a paintless dent removal quote?

I would definitely go with paintless dent removal, it doesn't look like any of your paint is messed up (only transfer of the other car's paint/plastic onto yours - which can be removed by buffing).

Now, if you take it to a shop, they'll repaint your whole door and then it won't match the rest of the car.. AND charge you more than PDR.
unless its mitsubishi.. they repaint it like perfect..

my friends mom backed into my front bumper n it had a little dent, n when mitsubishi fixed it they repainted the bumper also, and it looked like new

minus wehre they kinda ****ed up (very hardly noticable)
Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
That's why you should always park out in BFE.
That doesn't work for me A week after I got my car, I parked next to a handicap spot. Old hag doored the hell out of my car. I parked out in BFE where nobody else was, a ricer hit my car and then moved a spot over.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

the quote is a shop quote...i'm afraid that my poor quality pictures don't show the fact that there is some significant paint scrapage which has been mistaken for the other car's paint...would i be better going to a mitsu dealer? esp if i'm going to be paying that much?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

the quote is a shop quote...i'm afraid that my poor quality pictures don't show the fact that there is some significant paint scrapage which has been mistaken for the other car's paint...would i be better going to a mitsu dealer? esp if i'm going to be paying that much?

yea i would and did go that route. they will color match it like perfect, and you wont even be able to tell!

Quick Reply: dent removal