Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Who is the worst review champ?
Cnet's review
9.38%
Cobiz's review
87.50%
Other (post link below)
3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Most aggravating evo review ever!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 03:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Most aggravating evo review ever!

http://www.cobizmag.com/wheels.asp?wheel_ID=287

This guy has NO clue. And as such, people tore him apart in the comments below the article (imo better than the actual review). I could describe it here, but it wouldn't do the article justice. Just go see it already!

Fav. quote: Cheaply made, overpriced and over-reved. If you buy this one (evo), you flunked the basic IQ test.

If the site goes down (I pray) here's the article on just the evo. On the page though, he reviews an 07 Jeep Compass, 06 Volvo C70, 06 Nissan Quest as well as the evo. And people are quick to point out his lack of research and attention to detail.

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR

And now for the disaster.

When they told me they were bringing me a Mitsubishi Lancer, I looked it up online and figured was the modest sedan in the Mitsubishi line that sells for $14,599-$18,999. Mid-range. I didn’t have many expectations. After all, as an economy priced car, how good did it have to be?

Well, come to find out that the Evolution model is one of those cars intended for the Fast & Furious and 2Fast & 2Furious set, those younger people who race around. If you just looked at the price sheet, you be very impressed with this car, but all impressions on the good side end the moment you actually drive the car.

I guess what they did was take the standard Lancer and put a turbocharged, 2.0-liter I4 engine in it with 286 hp. Yeah, it’s fast, but man is it cheap. And they want $36,894. What? Going back to my grandmother’s admonition, the least said the better.

This is really a $14,000 car -- and one of the worst on the market in that class -- with a tricked out engine. It is uncomfortable, it rattles like a bag of bolts, it is cheaply made, it is noisy. I think this is an IQ test: if you buy this car, and pay the price they ask on the sticker, or anywhere near that price, you fail the IQ test.

RATING: NO WHEELS (OUT OF FOUR).
Old Jan 4, 2007, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

thats funny ahaha that guy is an idiot
Old Jan 4, 2007, 03:24 AM
Evolved Member

I can't believe it's blocked at work. I ****ing hate military filters. Thank the LORD i'm leavin this place today.

Can someone post some of the comments tearing him apart?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 03:41 AM
Yme
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
thats funny ahaha that guy is an idiot
+1
Old Jan 4, 2007, 03:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Assassin
I can't believe it's blocked at work. I ****ing hate military filters. Thank the LORD i'm leavin this place today.

Can someone post some of the comments tearing him apart?
A lot of the more heated responses came from azawd forum members lol

READER RESPONSE
AZAWD
Clearly you are not the type of person who would be interested in a car like the Mitsubishi Evolution nor should you be employed to actually critique ANY kind of vehicle. The Evolution is ten times the car a lancer is. It’s like driving a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano and being upset that it isn’t very gas efficient. Try comparing the Evolution to its opponent the Subaru STI. The people who drive these cars are not looking to drive around people like you or their grandparents. Bottom line: they are looking for performance. If you had done any kind of research (as any decent professional journalist would) you would have known that the Mitsubishi Evolution has been developed for many years and is at the top of its class. It outperforms the Subaru STI every year. Again, try to do some research and realize what the car is made for before judging it. It seems to me like you’re the one lacking in IQ… I feel bad for anyone who actually takes your advice when purchasing a car. Your job is to give a non-bias review of the car according to its class. Not to insult people who have purchased the car or those who enjoy its qualities as I am sure your editors have already told you.
12/6/2006 9:28:28 PM

READER RESPONSE
Ahem
Here are a few things you might take into consideration.

"Not so with the new Compass. It looks like a small Cherokee,"
Are you sure you didn’t drive a Patriot? The Compass looks nothing like a Cherokee.

"My only complaint was this: the pillars supporting the roof, the pillars that come down in the front between the windshield and the side windows, are very thick and I often had trouble seeing when I was making a left turn. Just a tad on the dangerous side".
Those are called A pillars.

"But this C70 -- the "C" is for convertible".
No it’s not. The C70 model before had a coupe version as well.

"This engine puts out 218 hp in the European tradition of feeling like more than that".
That feeling would be torque.

Several people have already mentioned your lack of journalism talent over the section about the Mitsubishi. I am not an Evolution owner but I’m in complete agreeance with them. Just because you can’t comprehend the allure of an Evolution doesn’t give you the right to insult the owners by saying they fail an IQ test. You obviously didn’t bother to research your subject and I don’t believe you even cared too. Sounds to me you decided to not like the car before even kicked the tires. Biased much? By writing such you have only angered a group of real car enthusiasts. Not that it really matters to new car buyers because anyone that is considering the purchase of an Evolution would not be reading your column in the first place. To say things like "I guess", "I think", "I beleive", "those dohickey things" is not good journalism. I’m not sure who you believe your reader base to be but I hope they do not take your ramblings seriously.
12/4/2006 4:59:55 PM

READER RESPONSE
Evo owner
Hey ONLINE EDITOR, the least thing you should be worried is the "f-bombs" that people are throwing. Your concern should be to flush this sorry excuse for a journalist down the toilet and get a real one. You should be embarrased to read all these comments the readers have submitted due to the poorly written articles by an ignorant named Jeff Rundles .
12/4/2006 12:35:27 PM

READER RESPONSE
MrJohnDoe
Jeff,

Unfortunately all the people who are criticizing you are correct. Your article on the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is completely incorrect.

Quote: "If you just looked at the price sheet, you be very impressed with this car, but all impressions on the good side end the moment you actually drive the car."

Actually most people who are not impressed with the price ($35k is not exactly cheap when compared to cars like the Civic, Accord etc), become impressed with the car AFTER they drive it.

I think you should have a disclaimer in all your reviews that you are only looking for ergonomics and creature comforts in your reviews.

Also, in your review about the "handsome" Volvo C70, you mentioned "The handling in this car is also nice. It’s not a race car with race-track reflexes, but it holds its own, and smoothly."
I don’t think you even know what a race car handles like. Your article about the Mitsubishi Evolution exposed your ignorance with cars built for performance.

In short, to the decision makers at Colorado Biz:
If Jeff Rundles is a freelance writer or contractor, please refrain from using his articles anymore. As the above articles show, there is a serious lack of research and depth, coupled with an overflow of bias, in his articles.

If Jeff Rundles is a full-time employee, he should be assigned a different job other than reviewing automobiles (that, or fired).

Thanks.
12/4/2006 3:36:35 AM

READER RESPONSE
Yuck
Your article belongs in the toilet. That is probably where you wrote it considering the abundance of crap in it.

"When they told me they were bringing me a Mitsubishi Lancer, I looked it up online and figured was the modest sedan in the Mitsubishi line "

For starers how about you do better research and figure out the difference between a Lancer and an Evolution.

"Well, come to find out that the Evolution model is one of those cars intended for the Fast & Furious and 2Fast & 2Furious set, those younger people who race around."

Great you watch crappy movies for automotive research? By the way, it was in the 2nd and 3rd installments of the Fast and the Furious series. You couldn’t even get that right either. Guess it was bound to happen since your online research skills suck as much as your writing.

"If you just looked at the price sheet, you be very impressed with this car, but all impressions on the good side end the moment you actually drive the car"

Did you actually drive the car? Or better yet...can you actually read what is on the dealership stickers? Because anybody that has shopped or is shopping for an Evo will tell you that driving it is nothing short of spectacular, and that the only thing they care about on the sticker is the price...which is a steal at that price.

"I guess what they did was take the standard Lancer and put a turbocharged, 2.0-liter I4 engine in it with 286 hp."

You guess? The best you can do is guess. Well guess what, you guessed wrong. I "guess" you suck at that too. Guess what...I am right! They are worlds apart in differences...do some REAL research.

"Yeah, it’s fast"

About the only thing you go right in this article.

"but man is it cheap. And they want $36,894. What?"

Cheap as is in what? The interior? Is that what you would say about a Ferrari too. If you mean cheap as in price...then as mentioned...heck ya! It is a great deal. Find me another car under 50k that can do what this car can.

"Going back to my grandmother’s admonition, the least said the better."

Looks like you should take lessons from Grandma.

This is really a $14,000 car -- and one of the worst on the market in that class -- with a tricked out engine."

Wrong again. Big surprise there.

"It is uncomfortable, it rattles like a bag of bolts, it is cheaply made, it is noisy."

That is pretty subjective. And you want to pass that off as fact? Well I guess it is no different than me passing you off as an idiot. Although...one is more believeable than the other.

"I think this is an IQ test: if you buy this car, and pay the price they ask on the sticker, or anywhere near that price, you fail the IQ test."

I think this is an IQ where if you write an article this badly you fail the IQ test. Either that or this is your attempt to prove to the world that you are the biggest idiot automotive industry.

Is the "Idiots guide on how not write a good review of a car" your auto-biography?
12/4/2006 1:58:22 AM

READER RESPONSE
Einstein
You my friend should NOT be allowed to review autos, just as Rush Limbaugh should not be allowed to review politics. You both have an agenda to push full of hot gas, false claims, opinionated rhetoric, and you too are apparently on some form of narcotics.
12/3/2006 11:24:45 PM

READER RESPONSE
Online editor <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<REAL EDITOR
At CoBizMag.com, we welcome and enjoy reader’s responses. It’s a great part of the online experience. But we’re not going to allow vulgarity, f-bombs and the like, so we’ve cut those from here. BTW, you come across more convincing if you have an argument to go along with your criticisms of our authors.
12/3/2006 10:19:24 PM

READER RESPONSE
CT9AEvolution8
Holy geez. What kind of an automotive journalist are you? Apparently you do not know jack about cars - your entire article is just humiliating to all the other reviewers out there. Shame... shame on you.
12/3/2006 10:05:32 PM

John Smoltz
You sir are an idiot and know nothing about cars. I’ve beat countless Porsches, Lamborgihinis and other high-end cars in my otherwise stock Evo MR on the race tracks. You’ve probably never set foot in a race track in your life. You are a disgrace to the automotive review boards.
12/3/2006 6:39:40 PM

READER RESPONSE
Evo Owner
Jeff,

First off, how did you get a job reviewing cars? Do you know what a car is? If you knew anything about an Evo you would know its no regular "lancer". The only thing that the two cars share even remotely in common is some interior bits (who buys an Evo for the interior anyways) and the name (what’s in a name?). Aside from that, I could go on forever and a day about the differences...but I doubt you have the mental capacity to understand.

Any chance I can get the wasted moments of my life back that I spent reading your idiotic, brainless, clueless attempt at automotive journalism?
12/3/2006 6:26:25 PM

READER RESPONSE
Jim
The reviews in this article and other articles I have read by the author seem to be biased towards luxury cars. Reviews typically compare the cost the amenities available to the car. Little research appears to be done before driving the vehicle, and little attention is paid to anyone outside of his demographic and specific taste in cars.
12/3/2006 2:38:09 PM

READER RESPONSE
Eric S
From the 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR review: "I guess what they did..."

You "guess"? How does that work in journalism, guessing instead of doing research to find the correct facts? Even opinion pieces should be based on facts to a certain degree, shouldn’t they? You’ve guessed wrong. Shameful.

By the way, Mr. Rundles, you guess WRONG. While the Evolution MR starts with some pieces of the base Lancer, there isn’t much left from the base model when they’re done. Seam welding, aluminum roof, AWD; there’s far too much done to be able to educated you here. I guess you failed the automotive IQ test. And if your readers are relying on your reviews for vehicle research, well then, they’ve fail their own IQ test as well.
12/3/2006 2:33:06 PM

READER RESPONSE
DC
I knew there was a reason I never read this magazine. If ignorance is bliss, you must be the happiest man on earth.
12/3/2006 10:37:51 AM

READER RESPONSE
Master Tech
How did someone so obliviously ignorant about cars attain a job such as yours? You need to be tarred, feathered, then fired. You are obviously not qualified for your job. Please spare the motoring public your unentertaining mutterings.
12/3/2006 9:00:15 AM

READER RESPONSE
d’shark
I hope that one day you get a ’SPIRITED’ drive by someone that owns an EVO, then you would see that YOU are the one who failed the IQ test........MISERABLY.
12/3/2006 8:28:40 AM

READER RESPONSE
Stewiw
Wow, where should I begin. You think the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX is a "standard" Lancer with a turbocharged I4 in it? You ever hear of something called the WRC? The Evolution (or EVO ) is far more advanced then the standard Lancer with a computerized all wheel drive system, advanced turbocharged state of the art engine and a considerably more refined and stiffened chassis and suspension. Many "high end" parts like Billstein shocks and BBS wheels come on these vehicles. I, sir am not some pimply faced 18 year old kid, but a 41 year old college educated professional. This car is a pure performance machine that can compete with cars priced considerably higher and can be purchased
new with a ten year warranty. You could not buy a used Porsche for the price of this car and are not likely to be as entertained as by this car. Yes it does lack some of the creature comforts that other cars have, but that is not why you would purchase this car. Also keep in mind, this car can carry four people and be used in any weather. As for your comment on IQ, I will put up my automotive IQ against yours anyday. You sir are an ignorant, arrogant snob.
12/3/2006 8:21:44 AM

READER RESPONSE
kris
Jeff, your fundamental mistake is to analyze these cars (if what you do could be called analysis) from the same perspective. Take off your ’dumb old codger’ hat and consider that not all people are in the market for cars with tremendous ride quality and cost economy.

Since I found this link on EvoM. I’m obliged to make another personal insult. You’re a big stupid-head.
12/3/2006 3:07:51 AM

READER RESPONSE
wiggitywam
Oh yeah this article is not biased or ignorant at all. Funny.
12/3/2006 12:34:50 AM

READER RESPONSE
340awhp
I agree with the first poster, as you sir, obviously know nothing about journalism or automobiles, hence should sell your vehicle, your house, and move out to the middle of the Sahara. Besides the fact that its called a "Lancer Evolution" the vehicle itself has nothing to do with a regular Lancer. The Evolution has its roots in WRC which you seem to know nothing about as expected from someone with your cultural ignorance. Evo is one of the best rally vehicles made on the planet. Its not a luxury car, its not a show car, but it sure can leave you and any other luxury V6, I6, V8 (German or American) in its dust with some simple bolt-ons or a larger turbo kit. You show me another 2 liter, 4 cylinder stock block that can handle 600+ crank horsepower and maybe you’ll see our point in buying the vehicle. BTW - I’m the guy that terrorizes you on public roads while carving corners at 100+ mph, going from 0-60 in 3.8 seconds when you are sitting next to me at a light, while you smell the un-cattalized fuel flowing through my 3" exhaust, polluting the environment... I have never even heard of you or your articles and now I know why...you my fellow homosapian are an idiot
12/2/2006 11:16:25 PM

READER RESPONSE
Ryan
This is probably the most uneducated review I’ve ever read.

The Evolution is more then just a turbo charged Lancer. Did you breif online research the night before not show the suffisicated AWD system? Do you actually research before you open that hole in your face? You didnt know what the Evolution was until it was at your doorstep?

This is insane, please stop reviewing cars. I don’t even like the Evolution vs its Subaru competitor but yet I still feel insulted reading the article.

I cant really stress it enough. Dont review anymore vehicles you are doing your readers (hahah) a HUGE injustice.

Come on you were driving a 30-35k car that competes with 50k+ vehicles in performance yet you feel that its a rip off?

I feel my IQ has actually dropped after reading this.
12/2/2006 11:05:44 PM

READER RESPONSE
Evolevo
I agree with the first poster, as you sir, obviously know nothing about journalism or automobiles, hence should sell your vehicle, your house, and move out to the middle of the Sahara. Besides the fact that its called a "Lancer Evolution" the vehicle itself has nothing to do with a regular Lancer. The Evolution has its roots in WRC which you seem to know nothing about as expected from someone with your cultural ignorance. Evo is one of the best rally vehicles made on the planet. Its not a luxury car, its not a show car, but it sure can leave you and any other luxury V6, I6, V8 (German or American) in its dust with some simple bolt-ons or a larger turbo kit. You show me another 2 liter, 4 cylinder stock block that can handle 600+ crank horsepower and maybe you’ll see our point in buying the vehicle. BTW - I’m the guy that terrorizes you on public roads while carving corners at 100+ mph, going from 0-60 in 3.8 seconds when you are sitting next to me at a light, while you smell the un-cattalized fuel flowing through my 3" exhaust, polluting the environment... I have never even heard of you or your articles and now I know why...

READER RESPONSE
Chris
Perhaps the worst piece of automotive journalism i have ever read in my life. I believe the author should be reviewing books or coffee but definitely not cars.
12/2/2006 10:50:24 PM

READER RESPONSE
Ed
Looks like you failed your IQ test.

this review: 0 out of 4 brains
12/2/2006 10:23:13 PM

READER RESPONSE
Tim J.
Jeff,
The Dodge Nitro was the first car to share a Jeep platform. It uses the Jeep Liberty platform. That was the day we knew Jeep was in trouble. The Compass is being marketed strictly to females. Did you notice any female cues in the car? ie. 3rd row seat, telescoping pedals, no tachometer?

The Mitsubishi Evo MR is a pure race car. The drivers who buy this car are not looking for comfort, but light weight and bare bones inside. It’s all engine and no comforts.
9/5/2006 8:52:40 PM

READER RESPONSE
Jeff
Yeah, but as Woody Allen said, at least it’s sex with someone I love.
9/5/2006 4:18:58 PM

READER RESPONSE
dave
reading an article about a car w/o a picture of it is like sex w/o a partner.
9/1/2006 5:16:19 PM
Old Jan 4, 2007, 03:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this is a repost, but some of those comments bashing him are hilarious LOL
Old Jan 4, 2007, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

wow, talk about online raping.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 04:31 AM

this guy said the same thing about the WRX and they got so much hate mail (all of which was correct) that they made him re-review it.

I wouldn't bother reading anything that guy writes.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

i read another review of his i found on google where he mentioned something about not wanting to write on nitch cars, as he gets a lot of hate mail from the fan bois or something like that. if it wasn't bedtime, i'd find the source on that.

night!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

I left him a Reader response.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

The car truly is a 15k car with a 15k powertrain w/ a few additional accessories........why is everyone freaking out? I think its funny
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:40 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mr. Rundles' journalistic experience doesn't seem to include any automotive functions:

http://modernuniformsmag.com/contact/

Jeff Rundles
Editorial Director, Prism Business Media Apparel Group
Wearables Business, Modern Uniforms and Stitches Magazine
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

to each his own
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

lets walk around laughing at all the car's we're faster than with our 15k car's.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

wow...a few of you guys gave it to him raw

Quick Reply: Most aggravating evo review ever!