Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

danger to overfilled transmission and t-case?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
danger to overfilled transmission and t-case?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty much what the title says. Any one ever have issues/ blown seals anything from having a bit too much fluid in the t-case or transmission? The car may have not been perfectly level when I did the fluid changes and I am a bit concerned...Or am I being paranoid . Not as if the car was at a 45* angle . Is the added extra fluid extra insurance? or a problem waiting to happen? ( I can hear it already..."the fill line/bolt hole level is there for a reason..." yes I used diaqueen gl-5 sae 90 for t-case and diaqueen 75-85 (yes it does exist ) in the transmission)

Thanks in advance for the insight

Tom

And thanks again riceball

Mods, if need be please delete thread in drivetrain section
Old Jan 6, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

if its overfilled then take some out?? why wouldn't you? its a certain level for a reason.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

There are overflows on both JUST IN CASE.
From what i've heard its better to slightly underfill than to slightly overfill.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

even the t-case? If I slightly underfill that, It would only have like a thimblefull in it Any one have any horror storys about this?

Thanks again guys.

Tom
Old Jan 6, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i probably over filled mine. i always just jack the fornt up and fill untill it comes out.

i done this on all my cars and never had a problem
Old Jan 6, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think you're safe since there are overflow openings in the transfer case, never noticed them on the 6-speed trans though.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sap12687
There are overflows on both JUST IN CASE.
From what i've heard its better to slightly underfill than to slightly overfill.
Wrong, you are better to overfill as both tranny and t-case will leak some out if there is actually too much. Underfilling the trans can cause gear and shifting issues.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will always be better to overfill, the more fluid to combat against heat and friction. There is no pressure in the tranny like your engine.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

I was jus wondering the same thing. I just my fluids and overfilled it a bit, I think. Now when I shift it's a littbe bit harder to shift and I feel shifting under my hand. It DOES NOT sound that bad. I just feels like the fluid is really thick
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks to all for the replies

To sum up,

1) better to over-fill a bit as they both have the ability to "leak" some out if too overfilled and

2) There is no pressure in the systems (unlike say oil pressure in the engine) therefore fluid being "forced" past seals and ultimately ruining the seals is not a concern.

True to both?

Thank you again, gentlemen.

Tom
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:47 PM
Former Vendor

There is pressure in the "sytems". Over filling them will make them leak or blow a seal. Gear oil, any oil does expand when it gets hot.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i don't know of an overflow on the tranny but there is one on the transfer case.

if you overfill the tranny significantly it might trickle itself out the axles which isn't a big concern.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

thanks trinydex, don't know about the over flow for the tranny either. The one on the t-case I do know about so any change in volume due to oil expansion is a non-issue in the t-case, due to there being a breather, ie. air free to come and go, so not a closed system, (ie a two liter soda bottle with a small opening at the top) so no build up in pressure. Just wondering about the tranny still, if it is the same or not (ie. versus a balloon that will swell to some degree and then pop (a seal) )

Thanks again
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
as eddie at roadrace explained it to me there's just about no way you're gonna rupture a seal in the tranny, even if you fill up yer tranny at an angle to overfill it. what will happen is it'll ooze out of the axle on the driver side as that's what happened to me. but it's not biggie.

it'll also ooze for quite some time as a tiny bit of overfill translates into many days of drip drip on your parking floor
Old Jan 9, 2007, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
i don't know of an overflow on the tranny but there is one on the transfer case.

if you overfill the tranny significantly it might trickle itself out the axles which isn't a big concern.
There is one on the tranny as well.

Quick Reply: danger to overfilled transmission and t-case?