Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

danger to overfilled transmission and t-case?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
pics prease
Old Feb 3, 2007, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump for pics
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:05 PM
Former Sponsor

pics of?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

I know this is an old thread but I think I overfilled my T-case and if I did would it be coming out of the drivesahaft where the T-case and the shaft meet. Please someone help?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WhItEVIII
I know this is an old thread but I think I overfilled my T-case and if I did would it be coming out of the drivesahaft where the T-case and the shaft meet. Please someone help?

Yes this is the area of least resistance and fluid will typically seep out from there first.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Should I worry about draining it or just let it come out on its own. Also specs say the Tcase needs .58 quarts and I was wondering how much is that actually should I be good with half a quart?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

.58 would be a dry fill. You should be good with half a quart.

I will put the car on 4 jack stands, level, and pull the fill plug on the tcase and fill until it runs out.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 I fill mine just as MitsuJoe said.

I would not drain and refill if its alittle over.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so just to clarify I should be good then right, theres no need for me to drain it again and refill it cause its seeping out of the driveshaft. A buddy of mine told me its the seal that goes in between the Tcase and the driveshaft but it didnt start doing it until I put more fluid in it today. I was driving the vehicle for a week and decided to put more fluid in the Tcase cause the vehicle was making a loud whinnin noise and my buddy told me it could be cause of low fluid.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Hope you don't have the death wine! Keep us posted.
Old May 16, 2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by trinydex
as eddie at roadrace explained it to me there's just about no way you're gonna rupture a seal in the tranny, even if you fill up yer tranny at an angle to overfill it. what will happen is it'll ooze out of the axle on the driver side as that's what happened to me. but it's not biggie.

it'll also ooze for quite some time as a tiny bit of overfill translates into many days of drip drip on your parking floor
Super old bump but can anyone confirm this? I changed my driveline fluids yesterday only to find an accumulation of trans oil on the undertray 😐

I will get under the car and just release the fill bolt to see if any excess comes out. I was at a slight positive angle when filling and used pretty damn close to 2.9qts. Just not sure if this is supposed to happen or if I blew a seal.

Any insight, comments, suggestions?
Old May 17, 2015, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo9RS1789
Super old bump but can anyone confirm this? I changed my driveline fluids yesterday only to find an accumulation of trans oil on the undertray ��

I will get under the car and just release the fill bolt to see if any excess comes out. I was at a slight positive angle when filling and used pretty damn close to 2.9qts. Just not sure if this is supposed to happen or if I blew a seal.

Any insight, comments, suggestions?
This entire thread needs to go in the trash, It is filled with misinformation.

Both the transmission and the transfer case have vents. The vents release air, not gear oil, as the gear boxes heat up in use.

The maker put the fill holes at a particular level for a reason, up to the fill hole is full. The only possible exception to this is perhaps the transfer case where the oil being added needs to seep through roller bearings. So add until it comes back out of the fill hole, let sit, then add more if possible.

Because of the vents there is no pressure in either the transmission or the transfer case. If there is oil leaking from a seal it is a bad seal.

The capacity of the transfer case is 0.6 quarts. How you accidentally get 2.9 quarts in there is beyond me. However, supposing the entire volume of the transfer case is 2.9 quarts and there is no air inside, oil expands with heat too, and in this case that is what will be coming out of the vent.

Last edited by barneyb; May 17, 2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old May 18, 2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
This entire thread needs to go in the trash, It is filled with misinformation.

Both the transmission and the transfer case have vents. The vents release air, not gear oil, as the gear boxes heat up in use.

The maker put the fill holes at a particular level for a reason, up to the fill hole is full. The only possible exception to this is perhaps the transfer case where the oil being added needs to seep through roller bearings. So add until it comes back out of the fill hole, let sit, then add more if possible.

Because of the vents there is no pressure in either the transmission or the transfer case. If there is oil leaking from a seal it is a bad seal.

The capacity of the transfer case is 0.6 quarts. How you accidentally get 2.9 quarts in there is beyond me. However, supposing the entire volume of the transfer case is 2.9 quarts and there is no air inside, oil expands with heat too, and in this case that is what will be coming out of the vent.
Thanks for the response! I apologize for my ignorance. I was "searching for answers vs starting a new thread." Thus, fell upon this...

Haha, trans as in transmission. Per the service book, receives 2.9 quarts. That'd be a lot in the transfercase! Thank you again for the response though!