Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Passenger axle seal leak. Is this tcase fluid or transmission fluid??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger axle seal leak. Is this tcase fluid or transmission fluid??

I'm having a difficult time finding a definitive answer on this. I had a leaking passenger axle seal (Which goes into the tcase) that I replaced today. It leaked quite a bit. I pulled off my transmission fluid filler bolt and gear oil started pouring out as if it were full which surprised me.
Common sense says to check the tcase fluid level while the car is jacked up, but at the time I thought nothing of it. Now I'm sitting here second guessing myself lol.

I've searched through threads for nearly an hour and can't seem to find a clear answer as to if this is tcase fluid that leaks from this seal, or if it is transmission fluild.

I have read one thread where someone mentioned an oil passage that goes through the tcase to the transmission, and have seen in other threads stating it would be tcase fluid.
To me it looked to be gear oil and distinctly smelled like gear oil when it was leaking but I wanted to make sure and was hoping someone could give me that definitive answer.

Last edited by EvilDSM97; Jul 16, 2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 06:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That seal has trans fluid behind it.