Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Child seat in Evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2003, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Child seat in Evo?

I know, not the most exciting thread, but I'm wondering if I can cart my boy around in style in the back of the Evo without having to squash my front passenger (usually my wife).

Has anyone put a child seat in their ride? If so, how far does the front seat have to be moved forward for it to fit. I realize all seats are different, just looking for some experiences. Worst case I'll bring my seat when I go to buy, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

TIA
Old May 29, 2003, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

It's got child restraints.
Old May 29, 2003, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

I have one. TONS of room! Really... no squishing at all.
Old May 29, 2003, 05:58 PM

My wife occasionally rides (not drive) my EVO in the passenger seat with twins in the back seat. She's 5'5" and pretty comfortable space at the front and back.
Old May 29, 2003, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget to buy this child seat.
http://www.newdimensions.com/Pictures/recaro/5000SP.jpg
Old May 29, 2003, 06:18 PM

That is a badass baby seat.
Old May 29, 2003, 06:24 PM

Re: Child seat in Evo?

Originally posted by crap_shoot
I know, not the most exciting thread, but I'm wondering if I can cart my boy around in style in the back of the Evo without having to squash my front passenger (usually my wife).

Has anyone put a child seat in their ride? If so, how far does the front seat have to be moved forward for it to fit. I realize all seats are different, just looking for some experiences. Worst case I'll bring my seat when I go to buy, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

TIA
The Lancer has way more room than other cars in it's class and so is a good choice for the "family man" I have a car seat in the back, and for convenience I had behind the drivers side at first. Reasonable amount of room in the rear even though I have the seat way back ( I'm over 6 ft ). But I got fed up of my son kicking my damn seat all the time. Could have put it on the passenger side, but in te end decided on the middle because it is the safest spot and it's much harder for your kid to kick the front seats.
The Lancer has the LATCH system, so fitting any modern child seat is really easy compared to the old system
Old May 29, 2003, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, the Evo has the rear seat childseat restraint hooks up top in the rear deck.

Or rather, mine had them... now it has 3 large body panel plugs flush with the deck itself. Any kids can ride in the trunk...
Old May 29, 2003, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

2 car seats and TONS of room. Way more then the WRX and a Mustang Cobra (my Previous 2 cars).

Mike
Old May 29, 2003, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

I have both front facing and rear facing in my car. The convertible rear facing is a tight squeeze behind driver (I am 6' 2")
Old May 29, 2003, 09:23 PM
bs
Evolving Member

i have found the seat needs to be moved up just slightly when the car seat is in....not bad though. it's good to know there are so many other evo owners with car seats in the back.
Old May 29, 2003, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

I have a child seat in the back of mine, a forward facing seat which holds either my 4-year-old daughter or my 2-year-old son. (If we take both kids, we take the Volvo...)

With respect to access for strapping in the kid, the Evo is much better than the Volvo (S70).

The main complaint I have about carrying a kid around in the Evo is the interior noise level -- I find that when cruising at 70 on the freeway, I have to raise my voice quite a bit to be heard, and have to do that little lean to the right, turn the head a bit, watch the road out of the corner of my eyes thing in order to hear anything that the kid is saying.
Old May 29, 2003, 11:02 PM
choad

I picked up my new EVO with my two year old boy..

The looks on the faces of the salesman when I strapped in the seat...

I think one said something like, "it doesn't look right.."

Yeah, well let me tell you, I wanted my son to enjoy Daddy's new car just as much as I was..Heck, he still calls it "Daddys new car with the big spoiler..!!" He loves it!

My son's noticed some unique things, like the bumpiness in the back. He humms when we are driving down the road because his voice skips to the bumps..

Tough to reach back to help him rescue a lost hotwheel car with the Recaros I tell ya..

Other than that, plenty of room, my son loves it, and my wife even likes the seats!! (but not the harsher ride)
Old May 29, 2003, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have that recaro baby seat in my Evo. I works great. I highly recommend the recaro infant seat too. I bought it 2 years ago because it was the only child seat that and any real cushioning on the seat bottom. The Recaro is sprung loike a real car seat.

The other seats just have that 3/8" piece of open-cell foam on top of a hard seat bottom. No wonder kids get cranky on long trips.

Erik
Old May 29, 2003, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to push the pass seat up far front tokeep my daughter from kicking the back of the seat - but there is STILL lots of room for mom and daughter

Quick Reply: Child seat in Evo?