Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

installed my ams copy intercooler and ebay pipes today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am probably going to end up with the ebay exhaust, I mean people run sick times on them, they fit well, and are true 3.0. That's the deal. A FMIC is another story.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so whats the link to the intercooler piping?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Believe me if I had $10,000 of expendable assets to dump in my Evo the 1st thing I'd buy is an AMS BB 50 Trim. A lot of us simply cannot afford $1000 for an exhaust or $700 for a FMIC.
its more like some of us are smart enought not to buya $1000 exhaust and $700 intercooler.
i know if i was ritch and has 10k to spend on my car i still would not speend 1k for an exhaust.

if you talk about supporting the us economy by supporting the local showps then why dont you just not buy import cars all together and buy american cars?
90%+ of all the companies in the usa import there stuff to be made in asia.

Last edited by riceball777; Feb 22, 2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xLaNcErEvOx
so whats the link to the intercooler piping?
I wondering when the OP won that auction, because in late december I was eyeing a set of those same pipes, and I have never seen another auction since that one was buy it nowed before I could get my account number to paypal.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Making an exhaust, IC, or IC pipes is not rocket science. Any Joe Schmo enthusiast with the right tool can do it in there garage. No one here knows exactly how these parts are design and made, so stop playing the blame game.

None of these vendors here make there own IC core, they just put together end tanks and brackets for the IC. All these vendors on here have been around long before the Evo ever hit the US shore. There are countless other manufactures that make parts for the Evo from Japan, Europe and Australia.

You can spend $800 on an exhaust and run 13 second, or you can spend $800 on an exhaust, IC pipes, MBC, intake, fuel pump and flash and run 12 second. If you want to spend your hard earn money to support a vendor, then good for you. If someone else wants to spend their hard earn money to make there car faster for less, then good for them, but stop walking thinking that you’re high and mighty because you spent more money on your car than someone else.

Bolt on parts is one thing but when it comes to internal parts like cams, pistons, rods ect. I would never use no-name parts.

Done ranting.

Last edited by mitsuorder; Feb 23, 2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Nobody is attacking china here.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by riceball777
then you are simply brainwashed by all the big companies that are simply riping you off and making a fortune from unintelegent buyers spending rediculess amounts of money or the simplest of products.

in the honda world theres are countless of 600+hp cars running $150 ebay intercoolers. It just a matter of time before evo owners get smarter and eccept ebay intercoolers.

anyone that spends $500-1000 on a exhaust or more than 100 for a licp is an idiot
when in fact is mearly a U bend with a few welds on it . anyone that can change their oil can make a licp for like $50 or less

the only people that hate ebay are companies and shows because simply ebay sell many quality parts that no one can match for the price and also ebay sell name brand parts that also most shops cannot match in price.
You're a fool if you think AMS is "riping people off and making a fortune". Their cost to make intercoolers is much different than someone doing it in China. I bet the core alone cost more than the full Ebay IC. Stop spreading misinformation when you have no idea what you talking about.

If someone wants to buy the Ebay stuff, that is their choice, but no one on EVOm is getting rich making intercoolers or exhaust.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

The question I have is whether the intercooler really works as it is suppose to? It may look that same but that doesn't mean it does. On the other hand, I can't see anything wrong with buying the cheap IC pipes unless fitment is bad.

A benefit to buying from Buschur, AMS etc.. at least they have tested their products and you know what you are buying works.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 07:39 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

People are reacting to 2 things.

The first is riceball calling everyone who buys a proven solution stupid because he feels they paid too much.

The second issue is that this IC looks identical to the AMS one. They basically mimicked the end tank design and are making sales based on this. This lacks integrity and is not a company that I wish to support.

You are correct that AMS does not make the core but what they rather do is use a Garrett core and spend significant time designing the end tanks and determining size and fit. You cannot buy a quality Garrett core for the price of the EBay intercooler. From another thread I have read recently this IC doesn’t even use a core designed for air but rather for oil .

There is definitely a piece of this argument that says to buy from a reputable vendor and support the community. That being said everyone is under a budget and is price conscious. Does that however mean everyone should go to EBay and buy a no name IC that has nothing backing it up aside from that is looks a lot like one that is proven. I guess if all you are into is looking like you have a big intercooler, quality, functionality and weight be damned, then this one is for you. They should package this with underbody lighting – it would probably sell quite well.

I would be surprised if the EBay IC flows as well as stock or even respectably reduces charge temps. I am willing to bet that during a basic track event it will develop significant heat soak issues.

There will always be an element that will buy this type of cheap crap.
Invariably you get what you pay for.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JTB
The second issue is that this IC looks identical to the AMS one. They basically mimicked the end tank design and are making sales based on this. This lacks integrity and is not a company that I wish to support.
There's nothing unique about the original endtank design. It's not like it was a completely new exercise in design like the DV/DT tanks. You'd have a very hard time trying to come up with any sort of copy/trademark debate over generic endtank design.

Last edited by TheGVR4kid; Feb 23, 2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

ok well, i agree with some of what was said about ebay, BUT not anywhere near even half. theres a reason why Buschur and AMS can sell there intercoolers and other parts for so much. The reason is because, they make all the power it can posibily make, because the products are made and tested to be very efficient. Just because it looks the same dosent mean they are. (I know you never said they did , im just making a point.) Ya, that intercooler may make a lil more power than the stock one and i hope to hell it does, but theres no way it will make what the REAL DEAL will make. There is one part out there that impressed me and i believe the rest of the evo community as well. This was the ebay O2 housing, hell ya i bought one. That thing is the best $50 i spent. We all know buschur's done tests and at least a handfull of these, and the ebay turned out to be the best power wise, fit and O2 location....if your intercooler out performs either the Buschur or the AMS, even without the piping on the real ones ill eat every word I just typed.....thats how confident I am about the products sold to us from Buschur and AMS.

Last edited by BURNALL_4; Feb 23, 2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:14 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

That is correct. There are, however, many different ways to make end tanks. Directly copying AMS lacks integrity
Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:16 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

I too have the O2 housing . It is proven to make power. It is not complicated like an IC core and they did not copy someone else's design.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
I can’t believe the level of ignorance on here. Why does everyone think that just because it’s made in china, it has to be crap? That might be the case 20 years ago but China is becoming the new world power. They manufacture 90% (exaggeration) of the goods that we consume in the US and automobile that will be sold by GM soon. Do you think that the computer you’re using, or the server you’re connecting to get on the internet or the TV in your house is crap, they’re all made in China. Last I heard, Chinese people aren’t the dumbest people in the world. A 12-year old in china probably has a higher intelligence than a high school graduate here. Making an exhaust, IC, or IC pipes is not rocket science. Any Joe Schmo enthusiast with the right tool can do it in there garage. No one here knows exactly how these parts are design and made, so stop playing the blame game. Megan Racing and Buddy Club parts are made in China and they’re not crap, not the greatest but not crap either.

None of these vendors here make there own IC core, they just put together end tanks and brackets for the IC. All these vendors on here have been around long before the Evo ever hit the US shore. There are countless other manufactures that make parts for the Evo from Japan, Europe and Australia.

You can spend $800 on an exhaust and run 13 second, or you can spend $800 on an exhaust, IC pipes, MBC, intake, fuel pump and flash and run 12 second. If you want to spend your hard earn money to support a vendor, then good for you. If someone else wants to spend their hard earn money to make there car faster for less, then good for them, but stop walking thinking that you’re high and mighty because you spent more money on your car than someone else.

Bolt on parts is one thing but when it comes to internal parts like cams, pistons, rods ect. I would never use no-name parts.

Done ranting.

wow i couldnt have said it myself...
Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by honda-guy

Done ranting.

+1

i have cheap **** on my car where its not important, but when it comes to important stuff like my meth kit and fail safe. my tune was done by a jestr. other than that doesn't matter if its generic or not.... its common sense, when i get my turbo kit i plan on getting getting buschurs cast manifold kit since its probably the most reliable on the market, thats one less thing to worry about....

what about all the people with rotas.... and other replicata rims....

i bought some rims that sell for 3000 for 600... how is that dumb? cause theyre just going to get curbed as some point?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by riceball777
the but dyno does feel like its a litter faster. There was no lost in boost and there was no increase lag. i just installed this so it can suport my future 3076r or 35r turbo upgrade. i'm confidant it will suport 500whp with no problems
thanks for the info.....

Quick Reply: installed my ams copy intercooler and ebay pipes today