Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

installed my ams copy intercooler and ebay pipes today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I want to see the exhaust that looks like crab - that should be interesting

but u know the one Im taking about, i dont think I have to tell u to search

but then again, thats just opinions. now i want te see the answer from the expert that i replied to up there.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NIevo
Wow, a crab exhaust! Bet thats tasty!
loll my bad CRAP
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

We should on topic with this. For $150 shipped, I wanna know if this e-bay intercooler is better then the stock one. I don't care if it will beat AMS or Buschurs. I want proof that people are making good power with it and is it cooling better then the stock one. I don't plan on running anymore then 400awhp so if it's better then stock then I want to purchase it. Let's stop with comparing it to AMS or Buschurs. Let's find data and compare it to stock. For $150 shipped, if it flows and cools better then stock, then it's a worth while buying. Not everyone is going after the huge turbo's. This is a good topic and I would like to hear more details about the e-bay intercooler and data/flow charts.

For the ones that are not happy with this topic and want to bash it, please stay out of it. I think the moderators thought this would be a very good topic discussion and that's why they re-opened it. I really would like to hear more about this e-bay intercooler and hear more from it's users.

Last edited by GREDDY; Feb 23, 2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Honda-guy, those Ebay outlets point down - they do not point straight out. You also can't see the bracket when it's on the car. Lastly, the AMS writing is only on there if you want it to be.
thanks for pointing that out but i was referring to how the AMS inlet/outlet pipes are curved, not straight like the Ebay, that's probably why it fits a little better. anyone who has install an Ebay IC knows that you have to fight with the hose a little to get it on the IC.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ez76
This eBay intercooler has been approved by Timbaland and Carlos "Ned" Mencía!

Thanks for your support! And please remember, AMS innovation is our remuneration!
Originally Posted by HIGH_PSI
Oh he got so owned by Joe Rogan
Originally Posted by MRevo2006
WTF are you guys talking about?!

Carlos "Ned" Mencia has been know to steal jokes and pass them off as his own. Much like ebay stole the AMS design and passes it off as their own. Joe Rogan called him out at the Comedy Store for it recently.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just looking at pics, I never noticed that. To me, they look identical, and that's what you were trying to refute. YOu only know they're not identical if you have them in front of you in person. I can't tell the end tanks are cast or not, I can't see the brackets welded or not, and I can't see the outlets curved when I see it in an online advertisement or when on a car. That's the problem...

AWDturbo, I was only making that comment, because you said "crab."
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Carlos "Ned" Mencia has been know to steal jokes and pass them off as his own. Much like ebay stole the AMS design and passes it off as their own. Joe Rogan called him out at the Comedy Store for it recently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsq1uTLBHBc
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALEX12
Well All Jokes Aside I Still Would Like To Know Weather Or Not The Performance On The "ebay" Intercooler Is Worth The 150 Dollars Or Is My Piping Gonna Blow Off The Endtank The Minute I Hit 23psi Of Boost Because There Is No Rolled Edge On The Input Or Out Put Side Or Even Better Cause A Boost Leak Because The Welds Are Not Up To Par I Believe In The Experiece And Workmanship Of All Usdm Companies Proof In Point Is My Spending Over 13000 To Have My Car Worked And Tuned At Turbotrix.....but That Bs Aside If It Works Who Cares How Much It Costs Or Were It Comes From

The ebay intercooler uses cast endtanks and the inlets on those intanks has rolled edges. If you look at the posters pics all the piping seems to be bead rolled as well. I have some honda friends never had an issue and make big power on this intercooler. Not the same unit since this one is evo specific, but made by same company using same core. I am not sure why others give this intercooler such a hard time. We all know ROTA copies everyones rims, but I see no one complaining about that and ROTA RIMS do not seem to have any problems. The intercooler deserves a chance until proven otherwise just like anything else. Lots of DSM owners use it(same motor as EVO we all know that) Lots of hondas use it and I am sure the list of cars probably goes on and on. People say support vendors dont buy the intercooler because they copy others and have no integrity yet the same people saying that go out and buy the O2 housing produced by the same manufacturer. When the intercooler does bad and we see crappy results then people can bash all they want, but until then no one can make judgement on it unless you used one first hand and had a negative experience.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
just to add to the fire....

when i get my e-gay intercooler i plan on spraying the ams logo on it lol
I really hope that is just a bad joke...

Eric
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ALEX12
Thank You Mchuang My Point Exactly If It Works Why Bash It If It Doesnt Then I Will Probably Even Bash It Myself
Why are you typing in ALL CAPS? Unless your keyboard is broken, you should know by now that you don't type in all caps on message boards...
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
People say support vendors dont buy the intercooler because they copy others and have no integrity yet the same people saying that go out and buy the O2 housing produced by the same manufacturer. When the intercooler does bad and we see crappy results then people can bash all they want, but until then no one can make judgement on it unless you used one first hand and had a negative experience.
1) Why do you and others keep bringing up the o2 when it's not a direct replica of anything else on the market? There is no AMS o2 that they copied. It's just a simple o2 housing that works, so we use it.

2) It's already been proven that it has very poor performance compared to a real FMIC. I even know someone on here who took it off his car in disgust and made a coffee table out of it.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

AWDturbo, I was only making that comment, because you said "crab."
I know my bad, i had too many crab patties last night for real 7 to be exact
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:47 PM

It's hit or miss with the ebay stuff. SS autochrome has showm their worth on a few pieces that they make for the evo but only time and more testing of these parts will tell. Beware of cheap castings and flaws that may cause insufficiant flow or boost leaks.......just my 2cents
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Quoted from earlier in the thread: what makes u think it doesnt? im not saying it is better, im just asking the expert "you"

Ask and ye shall receive: First, the welds around the core and endtanks look like crap compared to the AMS unit. Second, those endtanks just look cheap and generic. I'm sorry, there's just no comparing the two. If you are okay with putting crappy parts on your 30 grand plus EVO, then go for it. I, however, know that the saying YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR is so true and refuse to put anything from eBay on my car unless it is a genuine, quality name brand peice. While you are at it, go ahead and grab that new eBay standalone engine management for $200. It does everything the AEM EMS does, plus they throw in a free set of xenon taiwanese headlight bulbs for free!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
I really hope that is just a bad joke...

Eric

lol it is...

im saving my dimes and quaters for your 35r kit... need to cut corners somewhere to get it sooner,

unless ya wanna cut me a deal..... then ill get ams everything since you guys are the best.

Quick Reply: installed my ams copy intercooler and ebay pipes today