Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how to make a free flowing quite 3" exhaust lots of pics!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2007, 03:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good work. I was also planning to make my own exhaust...i'm still debatin between something like this and the greddy sp2. BTW how quiet is it? how would you compare it to the stock exhaust...I was thinking to put just the muffler, without the resonators...will see how it sounds.

Last edited by RickU; Feb 24, 2007 at 03:55 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
as long as we got dyno # its oke...
but i dont see any reason to not work.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a quiet exhaust is not a free flowing exhaust...it has been proven time and time again
Old Feb 24, 2007, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcconn9
a quiet exhaust is not a free flowing exhaust...it has been proven time and time again
tell this one for Tanabe or fujitsubo...
Old Feb 24, 2007, 05:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Exhausts are always a compromise between noise and flow, unless your car doesn't make enough power to need the flow.

For example, my Camaro used to have a 3" y-pipe feeding a 4" exhaust. That exhaust was very heavy and loud. Car trapped 113 mph in the 1/4. I replaced the y-pipe with a 2-1/2" y-pipe and a 3" cat back, including a resonator and an oval Borla muffler. Took the car back to the track -- 113 mph traps. No difference, but the car was a lot quieter and the exhaust was easily 20 lbs. lighter due to the smaller tubing. I've since dynoed the car both ways and the car did not lose power with the smaller exhaust. Obviously, the car didn't need the huge exhaust.

This exhaust here looks quiet, but very heavy and most likely will not flow as well as most aftermarkets, mostly due to the muffler. It's not a "straight through" design since the inlet is offset:

Name:  CIMG0225.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  73.2 KB

This will make it quieter for sure by directing the exhaust flow right into the side of the pipe, but it will hurt flow. But it might not hurt it by much on a 300ish whp car. Not a design that I'd want for a heavily modded car though.

The main thing I wouldn't like about this exhaust on my car is all the added weight. Magnaflow stuff is heavy. I know that my Buschur Magnaflow muffler weighs 8+ lbs, so this one has to weigh at least 11 lbs. The Dynomax 3" x 18" resonator I have on my Camaro also weighs a ton and looks very similar to the RRE resonator here. Finally, there's yet another Magnaflow SS muffler in the cat location, which may not weigh more than the stock cat, but it's still pretty heavy compared to either a test pipe or a bullet style aftermarket cat.

So, this exhaust does look quiet, but it also looks like it will cost power and weight in exchange for the reduced noise. There's no free lunch...
Old Feb 24, 2007, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i would have said that's a nice DIY but since you got it done at a shop, it looks ok. i'm sure it's quiet and flow much better than stock but probably not as good as other more straight though design with no resonator. you should definitely throw a coat of high temp pain on it especially where the welds are. you could probably use 500F engine block paint from the cat back. you could have gotten the ebay exhaust and weld a different exhaust and a resonator on it. at least it would have been stainless steel. the exhaust does look decent from the back of the car though, very stock looking if you paint it black.

get some sound clip and post it on here or YouTube.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Looks good.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
tell this one for Tanabe or fujitsubo...
so you are saying that a quiet exhaust with resonators and a restrictive muffler will make more power and flow better than a straight thru 3" exhaust with no resonators and a straight thru muffler?

It has already been shown that a non restrictive exhaust will make more power..

Just look at Al's round 2 dyno testing of the HKS carbon Ti versus the BR Bullet...the dyno results speak for themelves
Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

I think its an ok idea. I live in CA so im considering something like that. But how come you didnt use same length 18" muffler but with straight thru design? Might be better as an edition to an existing system though.
http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=14249
I think it will position easier in there too and help maybe with the flow.
And how much heavier it is to a reg canister muffler? Anyone knows?
Or how about this one,a lil smaller ,less weight , im sure still almost as quite
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by tboboy; Feb 24, 2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: add some info
Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

if you want it to be quiet you need the 5x8 oval with the 18 inch body. bushure and many other companies that use the magnaflow muffler use the 5x8 oval with the 14 inch body and it is still loud. that muffler is not big enough to keep the car quite.

to keep the car quite you want to run the magnaflow 5x8 oval with the 18 inch body with the ofset inlet and center outlet. this is also the biggerst muffler that fits on the evo.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Man.. you have been making some.... "interesting" decisions on moding your car. Ive seen a few of your recent threads... Ebay FMIC? and now this exhaust?
All seems that you want to get back at "the man". But in reality, just seems like you are cheaping out on parts. You keep saying how its full 2.5" to the flanges.. Well hate to break it to you, but alot of other exhaust are as well (as in they do not bottle neck at the flange.. not sure why you went 2.5" for a F/I car anyway... APS, JIC, Buschur.. ect.
Oh and I constantly see your post stating how alot of Evo owners are idiots because we spend lots of $$ on quality parts, vs the honda world basically finding the cheapest parts they can get. (I basically reworded what you have been saying to its true form.)
Theres a reason why so many Hondas break down, or stuff happens to their cars.. Its because they cheap out and get these items.
If your point was to get a super quiet exhaust, then thats fine. But dont sit there and try to bash other evo owners who are actually getting quality parts, not junk like yours. And dont sit there and claim your FMIC flows better, or your exhaust flows better. All I see is your biased opinion. I dont see any track/dyno numbers backing anything up.
In the end.. you are just ricing out your evo with cheap parts.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Whats the diff between offset and straight thru? Quieter? How about the flow?
Old Feb 24, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

are you using a cat?
Old Feb 24, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

this exhaust has to flow more than my old espelir. the espelir necks down to 2.5 or less for several inches at the flange where it meets the cat and the resonator is really really small inside
Name:  CIMG0243.jpg
Size:  91.0 KB
Name:  CIMG0250.jpg
Size:  69.3 KB

hks exhaust are no different. they get was smaller inside the mufflers.

so i dont know how anybody can say my exhaust does not flow as well as all these name brand exhaust that are not even full 3" and they neck down to way smaller than 3" in so many points
and most importantly my exhaust is quiet. as far as i know the only name brand exhaust that is quiet is the tanabi touring and that again is because they use a large oval muffler

Last edited by riceball777; Feb 24, 2007 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: how to make a free flowing quite 3" exhaust lots of pics!!!!