Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Talk about "Cars that Killed the EVO here..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, but a Viper and an EVO w/ $50k of mods are the same price.

The Enzo kind of throws things off.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by pumpdog720
Or a Enzo with $50k mods, if you can even find $50k worth of mods for it.
Enzo with $50K in mods = $6000 brake pads, $30K rotors (true quote from Car and Driver ) and maybe a set of magnesium wheels.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**** boys, it dosn't take much to waste a stock Evo... My wife smoked mine in her 4 dr SC'd Integra I built her. She took me three for three from a stand still. I'd slip a 5-6k launch and get a few cars on her only to be reeled in within 50 yards or so... she's at 250ish whp and 2600+lbs...
Old Jun 10, 2003, 09:11 AM
choad

Thats SCARY...

Looks like you really need to tweak the EVO to have anything that can be considered a monster..

Lately, I tell ya, my EVO feels like its getting SLOWER!!??

Butt Dyno?
Loose fricken intake hose or ??

Hell if I know, but it feels slower..and felt HELLA slow when sucking up the dust from that VIPER!!
Old Jun 10, 2003, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

No matter what you drive there will always be someone faster.

No matter how much money you spend on your car someone else will always spend more.

Enjoy the car for what it is and relish in the fact that stock out of the box you'll beat most cars...just not ALL cars.

If you expected to beat a Viper in anything but perhaps slalom or a tight road course you're a little confused. If you expect to out drag a Viper or a loaded GNX on an on-ramp you're really dreaming.

If it's that important to you open your wallet and dump a ton of cash into it. Of course someone will come along even then and beat you but if it makes you feel better, spend the money and mod up your car.

Personally I think it's a great car and it will surprise and beat most cars (assuming that's important). It's fun to drive and even if I can't beat everything on wheels it's still a fun car.

Mechnically mine stays stock. I don't need to beat everyone and I DO want to have a warranty. I've done the modded-up car thing and it's more hassle than fun, especially if it's your everyday driver.

Does ANYONE truly believe no one will ever be faster??????
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Dude, you guys are wrong. Go see 2 Fast 2 Furious----our EVO (VII actually) beat a Viper, Yenko, ///M3 and Challenger. An Eclipse beat them also, Mitsubishi is about equal to McLaren F1
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:43 AM

I got walked by a Dodge Omni turbo yesterday. The higher the gear, the more he pulled cause my boost tapered off while his was the same. In first I pulled him hard, second pulled him a bit, third was almost even with him inching away, and fourth he was gone. He was cool and wanted to pull over to check out my car, as I wanted to check his out too . He had a lebaron turbo on his Omni that originally turbo equiped. He used to have a t3 until about a thousand miles ago. He has some sort of engine management (they grey keypad looking one). He said he was running 16 or 16.5 psi. , full exhaust, big intercooler piping, and the bumper was cut out to fit the black intercooler. It was cool as ****. HIs BOV was the loudest thing ever. The best was when he asked me how fast we got up to cause his speedo stops at 85 , I said I wasn't looking at my speedo. The damn thing is too small to look at when you are going fast.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

A stock evo 8 suffers from boost dump and an extremely restrictive turbo back exhaust. Approx. $1500 worth of mods ... which consists of a boost controller and a new 2.5-3" turbo back with high flo cat or test pipe will take care of this problem. Heck ... I've been saying all day long that a good turbo back w/ a test pipe could probably = 20-30 additional hp!
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by pumpdog720
Get some mods!
A Viper vs. a stock evo Bwaaaha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha! LOOK man I own and love my evo but how is 13 and half second car going to keep up with a Viper Hey I'm not one to be embarrased or scared of any kind of sh*t like that but you were just lookin' to get kicked in the face dude! If you're the type of guy that is goin' to be chasing Vipers, Saleens, Ferrari's, and Porsches all day long .... please do yourself and the rest of us a favor and take pumpdog720's statement seriously. You can start with a 3" turbo back, boost controller, HKS 272 cams, and possibly an engine mgmt upgrade. Racing company like that it also wouldn't hurt to invest in a 50 shot. Get all of the above and you should be in the 11's Until then, lay off the pipe dude .... with a boost dumping/restrictive exhaust stock evo .... it just ain't happinin.'
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Just yesterday i met this dude with a 430hp BMW M5

We went to do the twisties and he couldnt get away from me.

my bumper was on his *** the whole time
We even took them on the highway all the way to 135 and he still counlt lose me

We both had 4 people in each car

My evo did a lot better then i thought it would
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:17 PM
choad

A stock evo 8 suffers from boost dump and an extremely restrictive turbo back exhaust. Approx. $1500 worth of mods ... which consists of a boost controller and a new 2.5-3" turbo back with high flo cat or test pipe will take care of this problem. Heck ... I've been saying all day long that a good turbo back w/ a test pipe could probably = 20-30 additional hp!
Information that helps!! Thanks! It's always nice to see some user friendly mods that will allow some good performance gains..
I agree, that keeping the EVO stock for warranty etc. is in your best interest overall.

That is why I haven't done anything to mine..

A Viper vs. a stock evo Bwaaaha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha! LOOK man I own and love my evo but how is 13 and half second car going to keep up with a Viper Hey I'm not one to be embarrased or scared of any kind of sh*t like that but you were just lookin' to get kicked in the face dude!
Hey, easy "Mr. Above it all.."..
I wanted to share a humerous "reverse kill"story (while somewhat massochistic), It's being shared among FRIENDS on this board ...No need for you to get all uppity and crass..

I can deal with the Viper, cuz it was just a learning experience and done to see how the EVO could hang...but your post is more like getting"kicked in the face" then my actual race experience if you ask me..

Thanks for your input, though.

Besides, When your faced with an opportunity to run with a big dog, or a little dog wanting to BE a big dog, no harm in trying it out..right? No pain no gain?

My question to you EVO1 would be, would you have hit the on ramp too?? Would ya?

Yeah, that's what I thought. You aint no wimp, you have just as much passion for driving your EVO too, and specs are one thing, drivers are another..

What if the guy behind the wheel of the VIPER was a mediocre driver and the EVO did hang..(Would make for an interesting discussion, even though not reality...)

BTW...The road to the on ramp WAS curving, which is why I thought, yeah, maybe, but once that son of a ***** got going, it was IMPOSSIBLE to hang yet catch up for sure..
Old Jun 10, 2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by hornet

Can we take a Vette with $50K in mods?
man , you can take any car with 50K mod an evo can be in the 500 hp range with half that !!!

one of our freinds from the MLR - Simon Norris -has a tunning bussiness in the UK and has a 700 hp evo VII and over 600 Ib ft and it has cost him over 70,000 GBP to do it ( more than 100,000 USD including the car cost) the cars performance is stagering

0-60 2's
0-100 6.8 secs

and 1/4 in the 10's

go to http://www.norrisdesigns.com/ and look under demo cars !

Last edited by hashash; Jun 10, 2003 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by hashash

man , you can take any car with 50K mod an evo can be in the 500 hp range with half that !!!

one of our freinds from the MLR - Simon Norris -has a tunning bussiness in the UK and has a 700 hp evo VII and over 600 Ib ft and it has cost him over 70,000 GBP to do it ( more than 100,000 USD including the car cost) the cars performance is stagering

0-60 2's
0-100 6.8 secs

and 1/4 in the 10's

go to http://www.norrisdesigns.com/ and look under demo cars !
I think I just jizzed on myself
Old Jun 10, 2003, 01:53 PM

I'm just wondering why everyone here is comparing a 30,000 EVO with a 80,000 viper??? Compare the EVO with cars in it's own price range, it dominates.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 02:06 PM

hey....

Also note the car was geared for top speed, not quarter i believe.

215mph. That sir...is still stupid fast.

Quick Reply: Talk about "Cars that Killed the EVO here..