Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

NRG Seats Review plus install

Old May 1, 2007, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NRG Seats Review plus install

I don't think there is a review or install thread for NRG seats yet and since I am too lazy to run a search this si what you are gonna get . They came in huge box by way of UPS. the packageing was pretty good although i dont really have any other seats packaging to base this comparison off of, I think it did its job nicely.

As far as the conidition of the seats the the carbon fiber overall looks really good. There a few areas where the weave was distorted to go around the curvature of the shell but they are minor. The clear coat on one of the seats is kinda hazy in an area the size of a pair a glasses (yeah, yeah i'm tryin hear). Whats kinda funny is that its right above the quality control sticker, lol. I just happened to catch it when the sun was shining off of the seats. it looks like there is also some light scratching or hazing along the back edge of the seat thats about 2" x 1/4". I am not sure if these are a result of shipping or not. The fabrics your standard microfiber in black and is very good quality. One of the seat back cushions has an impression in it possibly caused by something laying on it?? The high wear areas near the shoulders provide seem grippy but that beads look like they could come off with time.

The NRG seats come with brackets but when bolted to the seat the mounts arent planar. I am not sure if all side mount brackets are like this or not but i think i may be more of an issue with teh hold for the bolts on teh sides of the seats. One of the holes i had a tough time getting on of the included bolts into and i still can't get the bolt seated down far enough to contact the washer so i had to get another washer to make up for the gap.

I hope the mounts not being planar doesn't cause too much stress on the seat once its bolted in. Ont he subject of bolting it in you can't bolt it down directly to the floor. There is too much curvature and the back two mounting locations are not position to make the square base you will need for mounting. I bought some 1/4" x 2" (i bought 1/4x1.5" but they deliverd the wrong stuff)" 6061 aluminum to make my mounts. I didnt buy mounts b/c I wasnt down with paying 200-300 bucks for about 50-60 bucks worth of metal. I dont think going with the 2" wide aluminum will be that bad though, probably will work out better. The estimated weight of the as shown in the pics below is 3.42lbs.

I m 5'10"-5'11" w/o shoes and weigh 220 and i can fit into the type 1's comfortably. I may be using the head rest as a lumbar support when I get the imstalled but we'll see.

Overall i give the seats a 7.5-8 out of 10 and probably a 9 out of 10 overall if you include how much of of a good value they are.

I'll post pics of my seats installed and my mounts when I get them done and powdercoated. (hopefully May 7)
Attached Thumbnails NRG Seats Review plus install-dsc00630.jpg   NRG Seats Review plus install-dsc00631.jpg   NRG Seats Review plus install-dsc00632.jpg   NRG Seats Review plus install-dsc00633.jpg   NRG Seats Review plus install-dsc00634.jpg  

Last edited by oneguy; May 1, 2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old May 1, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

more pics
Attached Thumbnails NRG Seats Review plus install-dsc00635.jpg  
Old May 1, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

They look good.
Old May 1, 2007, 07:45 PM

Keep us posted! More pics as you go along.
Old May 2, 2007, 07:15 AM
Account Disabled

Looking good...........can't wait till its completely installed.

I've been looking at these seat too, but kinda worried bout the quality.
Old May 2, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

take more shots instead shots of fittings.
Old May 2, 2007, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
maybe you can make me a bracket before sublime does
Old May 2, 2007, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

milo,
I dont think the quality is that bad on the seats. They look sweet and they feel nice to sit in. I will admit though I too wanted to see them in person before I shelled out the money for them. I sat in them about 2weeks ago and decided they fit well enough to invest in them. I have sat in them for extended period on the floor with the side mounts attached and that leads me to believe that I may need that lumbar support but I didnt try adjusting the seat angle and also the height of the floor when I did this wont be the same height off the floor when the are mounted in my car so that will help I think. When you sit on them like I was describing with you butt about 3 inces of the ground it feels like you need something to keep good posture while you but is back in the corner between the seat base and back. Thats where using the headrest as a lumbear support helped.

turbochrgdbeast,
I'll take some more pics when the mounts are done so y'all can see how they fit. I think its gonna be really nice having the seats bolted directly to the frames. I didn't want to buy sliders yet b/c I'm the only one who drives my car and I'm on a budget. As for the passenger seat I am just going to mount it in a neutral location so an average person can get in the back seat or front seat. Additionally I wanted my seat as low as possible and I pretty sure this is as low as you can mount a seat without cutting up the floorpan.

trinydex,
I wish I could help ya out but I am not even sure if I will have access to a welding shop after mid May. My job may be moving me to Pensacola ( I find out tomorrow) and I am not sure what kind of facilities I'll have access to for metal working/ working on your car.
Old May 2, 2007, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

but they are not FIA approved.. that means if you plan on take it to certain track events, they won't allow you to use these seats..

looks good tho..
Old May 3, 2007, 12:13 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RuckerPark
but they are not FIA approved.. that means if you plan on take it to certain track events, they won't allow you to use these seats..

looks good tho..
there in the process of being approved.....
Old May 3, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
s'all gravy man... just a lil miffed that my seat bracket is 2 months behind
Old May 3, 2007, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I saw that in their thread, i'm sorry about that. I found out today that I'm moving soon so the rest of my metal better get here or else it will really hard to drive that 1000 miles without any seats. But I will will definately be able to comment on their comfort after putting that many miles in the seats.
Old May 3, 2007, 08:02 PM
qnz
Evolving Member

whats the diff between those and the stock recaros
Old May 3, 2007, 08:21 PM

Very Nice Very Nice
Old May 4, 2007, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

qnz,
non renclinable, lighter (~20lb savings per seat, I'll have final before and after weights when im done), plus the obvious differences associated with racing one piece seats like higher seat bolsters, which the stock seats are kind of lacking.
(Sorry if this is not what you're asking, I guess this reply may be kind of a stupid post. Not trying to insult you)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NRG Seats Review plus install