Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turbosmart dispute.

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2007, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbosmart dispute.

Ok guys i have a situation. I had a Turbosmart E-boost 2 hooked up in my evo for around 8 or 9 months it worked fine every single day. I had had it boost past stock before like 24lbs once or twice but since i never drove my evo hard for the most part i put the controller back to stock boost at around 22lbs.

Now i am selling my Evo IX to make room for a 95 Toyota Supra twin turbo. The evo is in perfect condition and so is every part on it. I have parted out the car and am a mechanic i have my own shop so everything was installed and uninstalled correctly. The guy who purchased my E-boost 2 is a kid in Virginia. He tried to install it himself and now he says he cat get it to work, first he could not get it to boost past 12 lbs which is because he had it hooked up wrong. Now he has it boosting only to 22lbs which is just about stock boost. He is saying that he can not get it to boost past 22lbs and has had many "profesionals" look at it who have never worked with the E-boost and they said his instal is perfect and say I sold him a defective piece.

He is now saying he wants his entire refund back. I told him i cant do that because it is clearly hooked up wrong, if he had it professionaly installed and it was clearly a defective unit i would refund his money and take it in for warranty work, but no it boost what a stock Evo should boost, so its not in the unit it is in the install. I told him to come t my shop in Maryland and have me install it or go to Agile Automotive and have it installed, they are great with the E-boost and thats where i bought mine. He says he will not waste his gas or time to take it to me or Agile to install.

So what should i do. Who is at fault here? I know full well when i sold that thing to him it w as never EVER defective. Now after some kid tried to instal it, and as he told me "if he had down syndrome he could have installed that thing it was so easy" well clearly not. Please give me feed back so i can get this stupid situation sorted out. Thanks in advance.
Old May 18, 2007, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting...To the kid...buyer beware. If you sold him a working part, have him come to your shop to have the work done or meet you in Agile...if he installed it wrong or damaged it...he pays for the time of the mechanic...If its broken you cut him a check-- and pay the mechanic no questions asked. A reputation is something you build--there are always punks trying to test you...and its that reputaion that can be pissed away on pride... This maybe one of those times.. If you insist in being rt, tell him to **** off and that you have done all you are going to do by putting forth the effort to have a 3rd party resolve the issue... Hope it works out..
Old May 18, 2007, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I would say that if it is boosting to 22 psi and the controller is limiting it, then the controller is doing all it’s supposed to and not allowing the system to over boost. If the controller was not working he would probably boost to the moon, but if it’s stopping it at the 22 psi mark, it’s at least functioning. If I was the kid, I would check for a boost leak and quit complaining.

If all else fails, refund him, get your part back and re-sell it, and I wouldn’t deal with him again.
Old May 18, 2007, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info, and i will gladly install it for free but he doesnt want that. So if he wants his money back he is going to have to drive an hour and a half anyway to come to my house for me to refund his money. I even drove all the way to sterling Virginia (where he lives) to give him the part. It was an hour and a half drive. He wanted me to ship it but i said i want to deliever in person so he can look it over and say if he wants it, because i didnt want that controller being thrown around by UPS or something.

I am doing everything i can really but the kid deosnt want to push his weight either.
Old May 18, 2007, 08:21 AM

Sounds like a tough call. You have no proof that it was working fine and he has no proof that he installed it right.
Old May 18, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
tell him to come to you and if he doesnt then screw that kid
Old May 18, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, talk about a biased thread. Your the victim and I'm the bad guy.

Let me set the record straight here.

First of all, the unit was hooked up correctly the first time. It never only boosted 12 psi indicating WG pressure. At first, it would not pass 18 psi. I then added a restrictor pill between the compressor housing and solenoid and it went up to 22 psi max. I tried hooking up the stock DV Vac hose to the unit, also adding in a restrictor pill and it still wouldn't go past 22 psi.

I didn't ask for a refund until I heard from numerous people that the unit was surely defective after examining my install and finding no leaks or incorrect set-up.

I have given you many different options Scott.

I said I WOULD go to your shop.

I said I WOULD go to the shop of your choice.

I said I WOULD like you to send it back for warranty work

I said I want a refund if you don't want to send it in or meet me at a shop which would verify the unit isn't working right.

These "professionals" are a very well respected shop who design their own cams and turbos and have numerous proven race cars.

An EBoost consists of an MBC like solenoid and 4 wires, 2 for boost, one for power, and one for vaccuum for the gauge. I ensure you it was hooked up properly. I am not trying to fleece the seller you guys. I bought a unit which didn;t work from day one, contacted the seller, tried numerous possible troubleshoots, and asked for my money back after exhausting every other possible option. If he is so sure it isn't defective, why not give me a refund and resell it?

I said "'I'm pretty fed up with trying to get this thing to work; if you won't give me a refund, I'd really appreciate it if you could have it sent back and repaired for me."

Then I said "We can take the car to the shop of your choice and have them install it; if it works, so be it. If not, you need to refund my money."

Scott never addressed these two requests and basically gave me this option only. "If you want to come to my shop i will install it, if there is something wrong than i will get it taken in for warranty work." After I made multiple plea's. I'm not pulling my weight? I'll post all the PM's on here and show I am doing more than you to get this fixed.

I've done a boost leak test and checked all lines.
Old May 18, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst
Sounds like a tough call. You have no proof that it was working fine and he has no proof that he installed it right.
I do have a picture of it hooked up, but that's more than he has. You are absolutely correct here, it is a tough call. I believe I should get my money back, and he doesn't want to refund it either because he honestly thinks I broke it or knows it is defective and knows he will have trouble getting rid of it again.
Old May 18, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

If the "professionals" I talked to know NOTHING about this unit as you claim, how would having them install it have made you believe I didn't break it, but having them SAY I didn't break it isn't good enough? This kid is very good at taking facts and twisting them in his favor. He says he WOULD have GLADLY refunded my money if a professional shop installed it, but that's only after it came to light I did it myself. Again, he uses the fact that they didn't know enough about the unit to say their testimony isn't credible.
Old May 18, 2007, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
IMHO, you should give the guy a refund ...
Old May 18, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

By the way Scott, what gear were you in when you got 24 psi once? 2nd gear is a whole lot different than 6th. Thanks DaWorstPlayer, of course everyone agrees with him before the real story comes out and he swings it in his favor. But I'm just a dumb kid, what do I know?
Old May 18, 2007, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

If you'd like you can call DTM at 703-661-8885 and ask for Nick; ask him what he thinks about me, my knowledge, and my install of this unit.
Old May 18, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Hahaha yes i am biased, no the fact is i have tried to help you i said take it to my shop, or take it to Agile (a shop of my preferance) you said " i am not wasting my time or gas moeny to drive to agile" and Also, no why would i have ever boosted to 24lbs in 6th gear? thats really good for the car to boost in 6th gear. No the fact of the matter is i have proof it w as working always even from people on EvoM who know me. You had it set up wrong once, you set it up again and it was wrong, you tried a third time and you finally got it to stock boost. Now that you hvae possibly destoyed my boost controler i sold you i should take it back and try to sell it to someone else only for the possibility that you destoyed it and now they have it. I said i will take it in for warranty work, but nothing good enough for you than you turn around and put it all back on me. Why dont we discuss this and work it out, you are the one that told me to post this on here so i did, now your hijacking the thread you told me to make and giveing out false statements.
Old May 18, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

JordanS4. Scott is a stand up person and wouldn't sell a broken or defective part. One question for you. Why do you have the restrictor pill in? Thats the reason why your boost is where it is. Your supposed to replace the vacuum lines when you add a mbc or ebc. Also check your duty cycle. That will also effect your boost

Last edited by kreionic; May 18, 2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old May 18, 2007, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

The restrictor pill raised the boost, I didn't start by putting it in that way. Scott, you are getting the facts correct, but the order wrong. I didn't say I wasn't going to Agile AFTER you offered, it was before you said anything about that. I didn't break anything on the boost controller.

I said "I am not wasting $50 in gas, 3+ hours of my time, and money for an install to go up to Agile Auto."

At least get **** right before putting it in quotes.

The vac lines were replaced kreionic, I know at least a little bit about cars thanks.

"Your" side of the story = biased.

My side of the story = biased.

The fact = unbiased.

Don't laugh off a correct statement.