Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is it possible for an Evo to appreciate in value?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im 24 and pay for mine all on my own
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

How many young people owned supras back in the day?
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

theres only one young person in my town that has a TT supra.. all the others are old peeps..
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

I mean when the car first came out!
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by h.funk
I mean when the car first came out!
well yeah of only 1 person in my town has 1 now after about 10 years after they came out then the amount of "kids" that had one during realease time is negative 10.. LOL
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Not too many teens had supra's in fact very few at all since they were costly, but they really weren't as popular as they are now especially after the F&F movie. And after all the Big Tuners started making some good HP numbers with them. If people were to know of what potential the car had then it would've been a different story. Also the Supra looks like an exotic whilst the Evo really doesn't have the looks of one. "It just looks like a family sedan" what my gf says to me. She loves the 350Z and says why didn't I purchase one.
P.S. Also for 40K for a new supra or an Evo MR I'd definitely would've chose the Supra.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slicedbreadno2
Not too many infact very few at all since they were costly, but they really weren't as popular as they are now especially after the F&F movie. And after all the Big Tuners started making some good HP numbers with them. If people were to know of what potential the car had then it would've been a different story. Also the Supra looks like an exotic whilst the Evo really doesn't have the looks of one. "It just looks like a family sedan" what my gf says to me. She loves the 350Z and says why didn't I purchase one.
P.S. Also for 40K for a new supra or an Evo MR I'd definitely would've chose the Supra.
ya but i really hope you didnt pay near 40k for ur evo.. lol
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

40k in 97 was alot of money. now days kids can get a high powered car for chump change
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fyreant
ya but i really hope you didnt pay near 40k for ur evo.. lol
Nope I paid 24.5 for mine with 19K miles about 6 months ago. I am saying when they were new they were around 36K or so, and for that money If supra's new were around that price range I would've chosen the Supra.
Edit 300th post FTW
Old Jul 15, 2007, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

also, i didnt buy a performance car hoping for it to appreciate as an investment. i bought it to drive expecting wear and tear. if i got the supra, which was pretty damn close before buying the evo, it would depreciate anyway since i will drive the hell out of the car. a 50k miles supra is worth a lot more than 100k++ miles supra.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Believe me I would buy a supra and it would definitely be my daily driver as well. I think if you want something to appreciate buy a house.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cut the Ego by the root bro. Lets make an effort to control the after market value of these ridiculous used Supras. They were not special 10 years ago, they are not special today.

A 3gen Supra should not cost you more that what a 3000 GT VR4 or a Nissan ZX cost back then, people keep making this car have a resale value that does not justify. Simply No.

Carlos
Old Jul 15, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Cut the Ego by the root bro. Lets make an effort to control the after market value of these ridiculous used Supras. They were not special 10 years ago, they are not special today.

A 3gen Supra should not cost you more that what a 3000 GT VR4 or a Nissan ZX cost back then, people keep making this car have a resale value that does not justify. Simply No.

Carlos
And then there was GOSPEL. I completely agree! Good post.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBS
Damn. I didn't even take into consideration your username. Surely a mathgeek understands the concept of supply and demand.
I'm quite familiar with the concept of supply and demand. Nowhere in my original post did I indicate or otherwise imply that I was ignorant of the basic laws of economics. I was merely asking for opinions regarding the possibility of the Evo, for whatever reason, experiencing the same kind of appreciation in the future. I know that there are far more Evos on the road than TT Supras. But that fact alone doesn't necessarily imply that market conditions in the future - 20 or even 30 years down the road - would preclude a never-driven showroom-condition Evo from realizing substantial appreciation. Eventually, the number of prisitine Evos (VIII and IX) in this world is going to be woefully small. In that case, anything is possible.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Faust
First of all, the value of a mint condition 1998 TT Supra with 1,000 miles is $35,800. The only reason they sell for that much and more isn't b/c of their actual value...It's b/c some dumbass movie came out and every single person and their uncle just had to have a Supra. That drove the MARKET-VALUE of the car up not the actual value of the vehicle. If that movie had a different "Hero" Car Supras would never cost that much today.
I do partly blame Fast and the Furious for the popularity but I blame Hulk Hogan for the ridiculous inflation of 3rd gen supras. I don't remember people wanting to get a supra after the release of that movie as much as people wanting to get a 240sx with sr20det swap. Before that movie came out there were just couple of 240's with sr20det swap in my town, everyone who had 240 bought sr20det. Also in last two movie the Evo was one of the main cars but that didn't do anything for the market value of evo's. But when Hulk Hogan came out with his 1000hp Supra everyone thought those were some sort of God's gift to man kind and best thing next to sliced bread. Then his dumb *** TV show came out and everyone was Hogan's Supra this and Supra that. Now 2jz swap is the becoming the new hotness which is only fueling the hype of the supra. Give it couple of years and we'll all be able to point our finger and laugh at all the idiots who bought their supras at a over inflated price when the market price falls to realistic price of mid 15k to 20k range.

By the way I don't see evo's appreciating in resale value above MSRP in my lifetime.

Quick Reply: Is it possible for an Evo to appreciate in value?