Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

help...broke the clip for HID globe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy help...broke the clip for HID globe

I got some new HIDs because my right one was getting dim. When I was pushing on the clip that holds the globe in to remove it, it broke at the point where the screw holds it on! Mitsubishi says they can't order a new one and would have to order the entire light cluster!!!!!!! There must be something I can do...anyone know where I can get one? Maybe an alternative clip? Anyone have a clip on a busted light cluster they can send me? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a part that costs a nickel or so...
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pm evodave he might be able to help you out , other than that hmm so you need the metal clip that holds down the light only right? ill ask my dealership if they can order one maybe i gotta friend who works there
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

that sux man i hate to say it but break out the jb weld
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

^^ JB weld the globe into the hole? What about when I need to change it again? Or maybe I didn't make myself clear, what broke is the metal wire retaining clip that holds the globe in the hole. The clasp hook and screw hole are both fine, so a new wire retaining clip would solve my problem. I just don't know where to find one. I'll PM evodave for sure, he knows all things evo headlight related. Thanks for the input all!
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for more advice.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

just bend a paperclip in the shape of the original clip
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

pics?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

pics?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

oh i thought you just broke the clip that the light goes into. yea evodave would know better than any of us.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SteelEvo
just bend a paperclip in the shape of the original clip
Yeah I was thinking about doing something along those lines...but more professional. Even if it costs me $100 for tooling setup at a shop to bend one, it's better than hundreds to pay for a new light cluster...

Sorry I don't have pics, but it really does look to be about the length of an unwound paperclip.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

are you serious?..lol ive retrofited every car i had custom fitted hid projectors into halogen housings...its not ghetto..its the same metal that the original clip is...you want to pay 100 bucks for something worth .10 cents?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

^^ I had no idea you actually did this, I thought it was just a creative suggestion.

I opened an issue with Mitsubishi directly to try to order that part, and they are supposed to contact me no later than Monday. In the meantime I'll try the paperclip method. If it looks like it will work, I'll call it good and put everything back together. The only thing I have doubts about is the extremely tight-radius loop where the screw holds it in place (the same area that initially broke). It looks like that radius is too tight for the widith of the wire used, so that's probably why it broke from only finger pressure when trying to unlatch it. Maybe that, combined with multiple heat cycles from turning off and on, plus road vibration.

Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT: I just un-bent a paperclip with very little effort, so it's obviously not the same material as the original clip. I clearly don't WANT to spend $100 on a properly made clip of like material, but if my options are that, as opposed to paying over $500 for a headlight cluster, or having my $75 HID bulb break later because of a sub-par quality makeshift clip failed, it looks like a $100 well-engineered clip would be the best option.

Last edited by machron1; Aug 17, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

glad to hear the paper clip works for now
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

This thread is now null, void, and completely useless...the clip wasn't broken it just looked broken...I thought there was a loop that the screw went through, but it's a different design than it first appeared to me when I looked at it...but still, seems like if one went flying across the garage and got lost, you shouldn't need to buy a whole headlight assembly...