Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Please help accidentally put in 89 gas instead of premium

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we dont have very high compression engines, so as long as you stay out of boost you will be fine. Put some octane additive in it, or pour a gallon of race fuel in there if you are really worried.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad that you treat the cars on your lot better than your original post indicated. However we both know that putting 87 oct gas in Evo's at a dealership is a regular occurance and sales persons beating on new cars is nothing new either. I've got several friends that are car sales people and they take cars home over the weekend all the time and beat the hell out of them. Honestly it makes a great case for getting one right off the truck before it's abused by the staff. Thanks for clarifying your statement and I agree, a stock Evo is hardly worth a beating if you drive a modified one.

For the original poster.. just stay out of boost and do the fuel mile challenge. The car will protect itself from the 87 oct if it needs to.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how do you accidentally put 89 in?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

jesus!!! 99% of the answers here are total bull****. Assuming its a stock evo, It will not hurt a thing. You can put the pedal to the floor as much as you like and nothing will happen. This is one of reasons for the knock sensor. I had to put 87 in my car once when I was in the middle of BFE and all the station had was 87.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
jesus!!! 99% of the answers here are total bull****. Assuming its a stock evo, It will not hurt a thing. You can put the pedal to the floor as much as you like and nothing will happen. This is one of reasons for the knock sensor. I had to put 87 in my car once when I was in the middle of BFE and all the station had was 87.
This is correct given he's not tuned for high octane. The ecu will compensate for the mistake. Believe it or not, Mitsu planned for people making this mistake.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Sale your car you ruined it.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

+1
Octane additive or go slowly for a while!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
I'm glad that you treat the cars on your lot better than your original post indicated. However we both know that putting 87 oct gas in Evo's at a dealership is a regular occurance and sales persons beating on new cars is nothing new either. I've got several friends that are car sales people and they take cars home over the weekend all the time and beat the hell out of them. Honestly it makes a great case for getting one right off the truck before it's abused by the staff. Thanks for clarifying your statement and I agree, a stock Evo is hardly worth a beating if you drive a modified one.

For the original poster.. just stay out of boost and do the fuel mile challenge. The car will protect itself from the 87 oct if it needs to.

Yes, I can take a car home for the weekend or demo one for a while. However, evos are out of the question. We very well know that evo buyers don't like to see more than 5 miles on the clock of the vehicle they will purchase. 99% of Mitsu dealerships will not allow evos to be test driven, well at least thats the case in the tri-state area. If a manager decides to demo one, most likely he will certainly be fired unless he practically owns the place.

The only time a evo is driven is when a a technician takes it for a inspection drive during his PDI prior to delivery of the vehicle.

Again, evos are just too slow out the box. Now, if I worked at a chevy store you can bet your *** I would certainly try and jump on a z06 for a fun ride.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:50 PM

Pour in a gallon of toluene (available from most paint stores).
Old Sep 5, 2007, 04:09 PM

hey can someone please tell me if higher octane level will achieve more mpg or less?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

can't believe this... i wanted to take a look at this thread and forgot about it- that is until just now when i went to bp gas station by my house and the moron put 87 oct in my car instead of 93 like i asked... good thing i didn't fill up. i went to another gas station to fill the rest with 93 and turned the boost allll the way down.

time to be taxi driver for a couple of days to get all the gas out!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

^time to start pouring gas yourself. What are you, in a wheelchair? j/k
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

same thing happened to me, i told the attendant 93 and looked over a few minutes later (thank GOD i did) and he was putting in 89...

Just stay out of boost, burn it all out

I couldnt wait anymore so i got it down to 1/4 tank and put a few gallons of 110 in it and burned it off lol
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

My friend did same thing with his evo and the engine got destroyed .....
just kidding , u'll be fine, add some 94 or somethings. Drive it like u stole it.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Give it to me for a day and I will gladly take care of your tank of "bad" gas. Oh and dont worry about all the extra miles. It was in good hands.

Quick Reply: Please help accidentally put in 89 gas instead of premium