Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

May MT EVO article (U.S. EVO VIII?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2002, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Hooby & Rax:

To MotorTrend: Please stop reporting #'s when you don't know jack ****

Who told them that it would be the Evolution VIII? A little birdy?

Where do you think all of the media gets their test cars ?? They always get them straight from the U.S. Dist and I'm sure get some inside info from the techies there.

From what I know, and what "wontbslow" quoted, it's all very accurate. Except for maybe the true HP when it arrives. Should be closer to 150-260, but you know it can easily be 'tweeked'. As for the rear end or the ride, that's probably close as well. They don't want too rough of a ride, but I hope they leave it be...as close to the real WRC Evo VIII as possible.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth !
Old Apr 8, 2002, 03:59 PM

Hi, I'm new here. I have these pics and I've noticed they look a lot like the concept pics of the evo 8. If anyone wants to see them lemme know and I'll email them. I'm curious what it is myself. Unfortunate that I can't attach the pics to this post.
Old Apr 8, 2002, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

lanevo3, can you email the Evo8 concept pics. Thx dude.
vze33rg2@verizon.net
Old Apr 9, 2002, 02:35 PM

Hi, I've emailed the pics to otaking so he can resize them and post them up, my thanks to otaking.
Old Apr 9, 2002, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Pic 1
Attached Thumbnails May MT EVO article (U.S. EVO VIII?)-untitled.jpg  
Old Apr 9, 2002, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Pic 2
Attached Thumbnails May MT EVO article (U.S. EVO VIII?)-untitled2.jpg  
Old Apr 9, 2002, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

IMO, both of those pics seem like the Evo 7 concept, the first one even has a date and VII on it!
The second one is too ugly, might be the new lancer without the dinner plate fog lights. But the tiny hood scoop would work well in the design. but nonetheless, the first concept art Evo 8 looks to me like what the US version might looks like, I've stated my reasoning earlier. These last two images, although the first is just too ugly, looks too "not evo" like.
Or maybe it might Mitsu's new Group A car or something. Since I believe the Evo is a Group N. The first looks smaller and seems to resemble the new scooby a bit, or what the new scooby should have looked like. Although all 3 designs are excellent, Mitsu does make some pretty good designs sometimes. Except for that RPM 7000 or something which is nothing short of just ugly.
Old Apr 9, 2002, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

I've seen that second pic about 6 months ago somewhere.
Old Apr 9, 2002, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Those are some round Evos...hmm...I still like the look of the foglights on the IV and the V more...The red shot isn't bad though.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Just a couple of things I noticed while reading this thread. Some of you guys said you want the US EVO to be close to WRC, Group-A or Group-N spec...to me, it's

Why do you want to drive a car on the STREET in rally competition trim?? I want my car to be close to an JDM EVO production car...
Old Apr 10, 2002, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

Those are both very very old pics. Nice to see them again though.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 06:56 AM

Why don't the production cars look more like that? Except with the , I think they're called "air scoop bonnets."
Old Apr 10, 2002, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

I like the front ends on those last 2 pictures... I'd be happy if we got that front end with the old hood, with the 2 big center vents and the one small one. Those hoods with the small scoop looks like someone took a swing at it w/ a crowbar or something.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 10:46 PM

Evo 8 Arrival Dates for U.S. Dealers

Ok folks, here is the latest news from the horses mouth....

The United States version of the Lancer Evo will arrive and be sold at U.S. Mitsu dealers in Jan/Feb 2003. It will be sold as a 2004 model.

It will be the new Evo 8, and will not have the ACD and AYC. But they are suppose to have an LSD in the rear. Confirmed HP will be 250-270 range. And of course they are still working to improve the front fascia to accomodate the inner-cooler.

Besides the Evo model, they are planning to release a U.S. street version of the RalliArt car, also a 2004 model. It will have a 2.4L engine, 150-170 hp, different paint schemes, a few other goodies, and be retail priced about $19k-$20k.

2004 is the model year the Lancer will go thru some cosmetic changes, probably just front and rear. I suspect a new version of Lancer would be about 2006-2007.

Well, that's all I know for now....
Old Apr 11, 2002, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Who is the horses mouth?

and what about transmission? 5 speed? 6 speed?

Quick Reply: May MT EVO article (U.S. EVO VIII?)