Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

May MT EVO article (U.S. EVO VIII?)

Old Mar 31, 2002, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May MT EVO article (U.S. EVO VIII?)

For those who haven't read it yet, here's the newest article by Motor Trend about the EVO VII.

FIRST TEST '02 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII

Yup-it's fast

Mitsubishi's announcement that the EVO VII is heading for America was huge news for enthusiast drivers (MT March '01). It had been rumored and predicted for some time, but wasn't a done deal until mid-December. The main business-case hurdle was the cost to reconfigure the car's fascia-mounted intercooler so the front end would pass crash test. Customer demand-and above-quota Subaru WRX sales-convinced Mitsu's U.S. arm to make it so.

To get a feel for what to expect, we put the spurs to a Euro-spec, left-hand-drive EVOmonster. And it's the real deal: edgy, supremely capable, seriously quick, and just a little manic in the way it springs to life. Power: not much down low, but meaningful boost shows up at around 2500 rpm. From 4000 to 7000, it puts pressure on your retinas. Steering: perhaps the quickest we've ever sampled in a production car. Handling: superbly neutral, and, as long as the throttle is used to take advantage of the AWD, it self-corrects out of an oversteer situation. Brakes: They're Brembos, and you can't fool or fade 'em. Recaro seats: super grippy. Ride: lousy. Quite: anything but.

This isn't a watered-down boy-racer; it's a rally car that's been streetified. We suspect Mitsu might soften the ride a bit for our market, and we're told the U.S. version (to be called the Evolution VIII) will have something closer to 250 hp-all for just under $30,000. It, and the afore-mentioned WRX, represents a truly exciting breed of performance car. Bring it on. -M.S.

Price: $35,000 (Euro spec, est, at current exchange)

Vehicle layout: Front engine AWD, 4-door, 5-pass.

Engine: 2.0L/276-hp turbo I-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cyl

On sale in U.S.: Spring 2003

0-60 mph, sec: 4.3

600-ft slalom, mph: 70.9

Braking, 60-0 mph, ft: 113

Last edited by wontbslow; Mar 31, 2002 at 10:14 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 02:34 AM
Evolved Member

First....thanks fer posting the article.

To MotorTrend: Please stop reporting #'s when you don't know jack ****
Old Mar 31, 2002, 05:31 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Hooby
To MotorTrend: Please stop reporting #'s when you don't know jack ****

Who told them that it would be the Evolution VIII? A little birdy?
Old Apr 4, 2002, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Well...I was going to start another topic about this. But if you look at the current Automobile, it has a the concept Evo VIII pic in it. And then...through my superb skills in deduction, the current Galant and Diamante have a similar front fascia to the Evo VIII.
The eclipse and montero however do not share this attribute. Moving on, Galant and Diamante are both 4 door sedans, so will the Evo VIII be. The Evo VIII has been rumored to have probabably a 6 speed tranny and some more modifications since its a Group N car (I believe).
Anywho either we will get the Evo VII modelled to look like the Evo VIII or we might get the Evo VIII.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Infinity
The Evo VIII has been rumored to have probabably a 6 speed tranny and some more modifications since its a Group N car (I believe).
No Comment on the 6-spd tranny rumor. However, what do you mean by the EVO VIII is a group N car? You mean the production version IS a race car with no interior and a roll cage?
Old Apr 4, 2002, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Ive been hearing that the EVO VIII will be what we are getting and that the Diff will be more like the EVO VI than not. Meaning a mech diff instead of the AVC (??). Im just telling you what I hear. And I get this info NOT from a dealer of any kind.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 09:38 PM

The last bit of info I got from my contact was this:

"Hello Andrew, Im sorry but at this time I do not have any info on pricing. The thing I know for sure is that this car will now be called the Evo. 8.
If I get anything good in, I will let you know."

Take it for what it is...
Old Apr 4, 2002, 09:44 PM

Next month MT will report that the EVO VIII will be a hovercraft and they are ditching the whole wheel thing.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 09:50 PM

Drkcloud, I'm keeping this post open on my laptop just so I can look at your avatar
Old Apr 4, 2002, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by cravnpup
Drkcloud, I'm keeping this post open on my laptop just so I can look at your avatar
haha, thank you!
Old Apr 5, 2002, 02:09 AM

Old Apr 5, 2002, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

I was reading Automobile mag and it said some crap about that since its now group n car, it will have some mods that WRC will alloy. It was really brief, but the concept pic looked a lot like what I think what the US Spec Evo will look like. It's basically like the Evo 7, but the small side scoop on the corner is removed and the front is a bit more aggressive, still not as aggressive as Evo 6, but I like the Evo 8 look too.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 04:26 AM

Does anyone have a pic of that concept Evo VIII featured in the Automobile magazine? Or could you point me to where I could find one.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, lets see this evo VIII pic
Old Apr 7, 2002, 08:55 PM

See attached file... :headbng2:
Attached Thumbnails May MT EVO article (U.S. EVO VIII?)-evo8.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: May MT EVO article (U.S. EVO VIII?)