Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

6 Speed MR vs. 5 Speed RS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've driven both 5 and 6spd...

To me the 5spd seems a bit harsh compared to the 6spd which really is smoother and precise.. hard to miss a gear..

with the 5spd.. I had to really concentrate on what was I doing and think about where I was placing the shifter, thing that with the 6spd.. I found the right gear without even trying.. so for the street.. I love my 6spd.. but for the 1/4 mile I wouldn't mind banging a 5spd as my 6spd feels good but not so strong..

I've trapped 115 staying in 4th.. dnt know how deep into it I was but I didn't bounce off the rev limiter so I knew I was good.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

I went through the same debate before i bought my evo. I ended up buying a 9 SE...basically an MR without the suspension, and a 5 speed. I love it. Drive them both and see how they feel to you. I bought the 5 cause its my daily but i also take it to the track. Im planning on getting a lot of horsepower out of it too! The six speed you have to pull the whole row of gears out if one breaks but the 5 can be replaced individually. I called just about everyone who builds these cars and trannys. If you want to track the car get the 5. If you dont mind shifting more get the 6 for around town. I just personally love the 5 and yes its a littler faster because you shift less. It really depends on how you drive and what it feels like to you.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by tookinkee
I went through the same debate before i bought my evo. I ended up buying a 9 SE...basically an MR without the suspension, and a 5 speed. I love it. Drive them both and see how they feel to you. I bought the 5 cause its my daily but i also take it to the track. Im planning on getting a lot of horsepower out of it too! The six speed you have to pull the whole row of gears out if one breaks but the 5 can be replaced individually. I called just about everyone who builds these cars and trannys. If you want to track the car get the 5. If you dont mind shifting more get the 6 for around town. I just personally love the 5 and yes its a littler faster because you shift less. It really depends on how you drive and what it feels like to you.
Well you guys it looks as if Im going to stay away from the MR as my heart is set on a DD/Drag car. I drive my STI everyday like I stole it!! But its a sled. I cannot and will not buy another 6 speed car unfortunately. Im willing to build up my left calf muscle for the 5 sp DD. Honestly I would love to get the MR as it a spank *** car but, It would defeat my purpose. There are only 2 EVOs left here in Columbus. Unfortunately they are both Silver & MR's, just like my damn STI. Plus I like my lights better, sorry. Probably because I took the pictures.

Plus I like my lights better, sorry.

I love this picture, I took it with my Canon Digital Rebel. But honestly I wanted a change in color. The Blue is my favorite but I could live with the White with the beastly bronze joints. This car is PURE SEX!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:31 PM
Account Disabled

Purchase a 5 speed Evo. Take it from me, I have an MR and i already have Tranny Problems at 20K miles

Very Nice White Evo any other pictures of it?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 1NastyMR
Very Nice White Evo any other pictures of it?
Oops, the "I love this picture, I took it with my Canon Digital Rebel" was for my headlight pick of my Sti!! Looks like the text got moved down with the IMG lol. I wish I had more picks of that white Evo. I believe it was on Modified Mag's website. It was from Australia. 5 SPEED IT IS!!! Once the EVO X comes out the game is on, I hope. There are no 5 speed avaialble in my area and I need to get out of my lease so I cant really do a private buy option. "StealerShip" only! Trade Ins on the EXO X are my only hope...

Last edited by SinisterAgent; Sep 19, 2007 at 06:51 PM.