Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Thinking About Trading My IX For A Terminator

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2007, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shep tranny and x-fer case is still cheaper than an M3.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had 2 Cobra's and traded them both for EVO's. Nothing bad about Cobra's at all, but my first one gave me problems and I was single at the time. My 2nd Cobra I traded cause I'm not married with 2 kids and it just wasnt' cutting it like my EVO was. Plus, I got tired of constantly checking the radar to see if it was gonna rain and whatnot. I had 315/35 BFD DR's on the back and it wasn't great in the rain at all with almost 500whp and 500trq.

Good luck man. I hope you don't end up like me. I had a nice looking and nicely modded EVO the first time. Got rid of it and ended up regretting it. Now I have another, but its all stock and with 2 kids, the modding process with be a much slower pace than the first time.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Well after some runs tonight my shift fork went bad and now my car is stuck in 4th gear.

I guess I knew something bad would happen to my tranny. I guess I should say I had it coming.

Its time for that rebuild! HELLO credit card.

Last edited by beemerfreak; Nov 5, 2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

keep the evo, like people said, get it fixed and keep her
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Not to step on any toes but...

90% of mustang owner are female so shouldnt they be called Gaystangs??? lol jk

Cobra's have similar probs with the rear end... they made them IRS for autocross (weak for drag) and it sucks cause the GT has a better "drag" rear end...

Honsetly I raced many 03-04 cobras one with 500+whp 500+tq and upgraded whipple charger... It doesnt make power till the end of the rpm band and looses to my 330 whp evo up until 140 mph. My little evo at the strip makes it look slow, granted traction is his prob at the track but from a roll, whats the excuse???

I too have a 5th grind but I have change my tranny oil with my engine oil... its just evo ownership...

Whats the fastest street legal cobra 1/4??? What size motor, 3x's that of an evo yet they only make how much pwr?
power per $$ the evo is the most versitle car out there drag, twisties, haulin friends, rally, top speed... Keep the evo, trust those who have had both. Evo's are taking over the world mwahaha Good Luck!!!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

i thought about gettin one a while back then i finished building my car......

Look at the sig.... I wish a 500whp cobra would pull next to me
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:36 PM

I was debating between the two, then I figured the cobra would be in the garage atleast 6 months out of the year, where in the evo, if I wanted to take it out, I could.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

One thing that is addicting about those cobra's is the whine from the supercharger. The sound is amazing. But my buddies built up E55 beat a terminator cobra pretty bad over the summer.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by esevo
Cobra's have similar probs with the rear end... they made them IRS for autocross (weak for drag) and it sucks cause the GT has a better "drag" rear end...

Honsetly I raced many 03-04 cobras one with 500+whp 500+tq and upgraded whipple charger... It doesnt make power till the end of the rpm band and looses to my 330 whp evo up until 140 mph. My little evo at the strip makes it look slow, granted traction is his prob at the track but from a roll, whats the excuse???

Whats the fastest street legal cobra 1/4??? What size motor, 3x's that of an evo yet they only make how much pwr?
power per $$ the evo is the most versitle car out there drag, twisties, haulin friends, rally, top speed... Keep the evo, trust those who have had both. Evo's are taking over the world mwahaha Good Luck!!!
You are right about the IRS, but there are also guys running 9's with it. There are ways to beef the IRS up. My 04' Cobra had the diff cover break under a hard launch b the previous owner, but a IRS brace will help prevent that. It won't fix it, but just help.

My 04' Cobra was making 480whp and 482trq with JUST a ported stock blower, 2.8 upper pulley, intake, and o/r h-pipe with a Diablo tuner. It was ALOT faster than my 03' EVO with similar power as yours. My EVO would trap 88mph on pump gas while the Cobra would do 95 mph. My EVO wouldn't have seen 95mph on race gas IMO. The only way I see you beating a 500+HP Cobra is from a dig and short race. Roll races it should eat you alive with a decent driver. Whipple's make power like the stock Eaton....early. You might be thinking of a centrifigul (sp) supercharger like a Vortech. Those are peaky from what I've seen.

I'm not sure whats the fastest street legal Cobra, but they make plenty and more power with the stock block than a EVO would ever think about. Put a Hellion twin 57 kit and it just gets worse. They are capable of making the same big power on pump gas as a EVO would need much much more boost and race gas. Yes, EVO's are a more bersitle car, but for strictly drag racing, you can go faster, cheaper with a Cobra.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by esevo
Not to step on any toes but...

90% of mustang owner are female so shouldnt they be called Gaystangs??? lol jk

I too have a 5th grind but I have change my tranny oil with my engine oil... its just evo ownership...

When I look at cars/setups etc I look at potential not so much results. I know that a FP Green can trap 125mph in a full weight car faster/quicker with weight reduction etc, so even if a car with a green runs 115mph doesn't mean that turbo isn't capable of much more.

Same goes for 35R's etc and the same goes for your example of a cobra. How many videos do you want me to post of Cobras going low 11's high 10's on a stock ported blower? How about 9.90's on a stock ported blower with juice? How about a stock ported blower with a juice running side by side with a 600whp 35R EVO? How about 8.95@155 mph Turbo full interior Cobra on DR's? Just because you beat someone that can't drive his setup to it's potential or has mechancial issues doesn't mean the car in capable hands or a properly running Whipple Cobra won't wax you ***. If you want any more info please PM.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

you cant go wrong with an 03-04 cobra.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Oh I know they can be fast... 3x the Cubic Inch!!! I dont know why this guys cobra builds power so late even on IA performance mustang dyno he made over 500 but not till over 5k... maybe just that certin whipple???

I didnt do a good job at making the connection that; One both have drive train issues, not if but when... Two Evo is much more versatile (more doors,seats,parts,and types of driving fast).Three it seems that everybody has a mustang... I would rather see a ZO6 but maybe cause Im more a Chevy guy when it comes to muscle.

Personaly I think it would cost more money to sell the evo and start a build on a cobra and for similar results. I do however understand V8's TQ for a daily is more "fun" but it would suck to get beat by the toy you just sold... just my 2 cents

Last edited by esevo; Nov 7, 2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

I sold my 320-330whp 2003 EVO for $25,000 back in March and bought a 2004 480whp Cobra for $23,000 with 40,000 LESS miles than my EVO a week after I sold it. I was already waaaaayyy ahead in the moddind game with the Cobra with more power, parts, and money involoved.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Oh....and sold the Cobra and made $4,000 after three months of owning it. All I did was put gas in it.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 07:15 PM

my evo+60mph turns=FUN!!! cobra+500hp+turn=bad news!!!!

Quick Reply: Thinking About Trading My IX For A Terminator