Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

? for people who are not running the hood vent louver

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the guys that built the EVO put it there for a reason. I have never taken it off. I believe air flows better with it on. Think on how its built. Air is meant to be flowing directly out of it. With it off, I believe not enough air is flowing out while the car is moving. Now while the car is parked or at a stand still I see the benefits, but not while driving. Plus don't like the idea some jerk off could try putting something down in my engine bay or something even worse. Why expose your beautiful 4G63... sorry my 2cents
Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

yes it was put there for a reason... because if you drive through a car wash without it you'll get water everywhere in the engine bay which is a bad idea.

under all other circumstances you're better without it.

anybody who's raced with and without it can tell you that 10x as much heat exits out visibly when you remove the shield.

with that said I would only remove it if you race the car - otherwise the additional cooling isn't really needed.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

I never use it unless I wash the car or it's raining. I always have it in the trunk. Right now it's in because it was snow/raining. I just haven't taken it out yet.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
I don't understand some people... the hood vent doesn't stop water from getting in. My engine bay gets just as wet as it did when I had it on.

I took mine off when my car had about 3k on it. I'm at ~27k now and it still looks like new under there.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id leave it on
Old Nov 24, 2007, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
I don't understand some people... the hood vent doesn't stop water from getting in. My engine bay gets just as wet as it did when I had it on.

I took mine off when my car had about 3k on it. I'm at ~27k now and it still looks like new under there.
it's not going to make a big difference with rain... but pictuer a car wash / garde hose aimed directly at it.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by theblue
yes it was put there for a reason... because if you drive through a car wash without it you'll get water everywhere in the engine bay which is a bad idea.

anybody who's raced with and without it can tell you that 10x as much heat exits out visibly when you remove the shield.

with that said I would only remove it if you race the car - otherwise the additional cooling isn't really needed.
id disagree. id say that the turbulence caused when the air meets directly with the air moving over the car is detrimental without the guiding nature of the fins. Theres a reason this technique is seen on tons of race cars and rally cars. Designs like these on rear engine cars aren't there just to look cool, theres a reason why they don't run with open engines.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

^^ my point extacly
Old Nov 24, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
it's not going to make a big difference with rain... but pictuer a car wash / garde hose aimed directly at it.
True... but that's why you don't aim a garden hose directly at it. I was just as **** about that **** before I took it off.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 01:20 AM
Account Disabled

i run with it on for a few reason....rain being one even though the water still drips on everything, but also for hater reason. so no one puts anything in my engine bay
Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

i work with million dollar equipment that is heat sensitive. one day a motor (electric) was returned to us without these fins or HEAT EXTRACTERS which is the correct term. we installed the motor and figured we could run it until the fins came in. well the motor sensed too much heat in about two hours and we had to fabricate some until the original fins came in. So the answer to your question is yes it is advised to run with them because a hotter engine is a slower engine. your only hurting your performance.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
that metal insert is there for better cooling and more efficent aero dynamics.
Not to prevent water or dust.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

if you take out the vent then the air wouldnt even escape youre engine bay would it? air would flow into the engine bay keeping the hot air in the engine compartment. the vent is there to prevent air from entering the engine but allow it to escape. am i right?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

this has to be the funniest I've read in the entire thread
Old Nov 26, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

it's true... I've run watkins glen with and without it. as soon as I get back to the pits you can see the heat pouring out. Same deal when forced to slow down under a caution. The bump in front of the vent is the aerodynamic aid that extracts air at speed, not the stupid little vents on that flimsy sheet. either way my car never showed any signs of having cooling problems outside of the brakes which have since had ducts added and their heat shields removed also.

Last edited by theblue; Nov 26, 2007 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: ? for people who are not running the hood vent louver