Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best source for mini battery?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to run a 680MJ, I had so many issues I literally had one in the engine bay and one in the car for when that one died. The extra ~20 lbs or so just wasn't worth it for me - maybe in a pure race car but frankly you can save that weight elsewhere - I like going out to my car after it's been sitting a few days and knowing it's going to start up with no issues.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Since you don't drive your evo that often, I suggest pulling the battery and having a battery tender hooked up to it in your bedroom or garage or something. Since it will be trickle charged, it will always be fully charged when you need it. If you just pull the battery and DON'T trickle charge it, it will slowly weaken as it sits, so you need something to maintain its surface charge.

This is the common one you can buy at places like Pep Boys and Walmart and stuff (depending on your area). BATTERY TENDER

Here is a SOLAR battery charger too. I prefer to see these mounted on the rear deck and wired directly to the battery. I definitely recommend this for mini-battery owners who leave their car sitting for more than 2 days at times.
I do like the solar charger myself. But one problem with that, is the car when it is sitting, is always under the car cover .

I may just stop at Wal-Mart tonight to see what they have for battery tenders. Granted taking it in and out I'm sure will become a pain, but what hasn't been a pain this time of year.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
The Deka ETX14 is a great and cheap alternative to the Odyssey and Braille. 60 dollars. 200 CCA.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use this one:

http://www.bigcrank.com/bigcrank_batteries.php

I have been using the ETX14 battery in a Nisei battery tray. So far it works great. Though I did let the car sit for about two weeks and she drained down. Popped her on a Battery tender for about 16hrs and good as new. Still has about 11.9v on it right now after sitting for a couple days.

Buddy of mine has had one of these for two years in Texas--no issues.

BTW...Deka makes Braile...and this one as well.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

nisei genesis
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage
nisei genesis
Or you could spend less than half the money and get a lighter battery that's just as strong.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spins4
I do like the solar charger myself. But one problem with that, is the car when it is sitting, is always under the car cover
The solar charger would be helpful to keep the battery topped off when its just sitting during a full day at work, or your cars uncovered at home for the day while your at work. Its sure better to always have these mini-batteries in a constant state of charge.

Originally Posted by Vankuen
...Still has about 11.9v on it right now after sitting for a couple days.
11.9v is a SHOT battery. If you let the battery go below much more than 11.4v while sitting, its not good for the life of the battery. Granted, a lot of these batteries are able to be deep cycled and still perform, they can only do that so much before it starts to affect performance and reliability.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack of Trades
11.9v is a SHOT battery. If you let the battery go below much more than 11.4v while sitting, its not good for the life of the battery. Granted, a lot of these batteries are able to be deep cycled and still perform, they can only do that so much before it starts to affect performance and reliability.
Oh wow...I didn't know that. She still turns over well enough....hmmm.

Maybe I'll put her back on the trickle charger for a while. Thanks for the heads up! I figured that 11.9 wasn't too far off of 12v.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Well guys, for an update on my situation. After talking to several people and what not, I had decided to just go with the Odyssey PC680. So I called a few places on it, just to check stock, just to be safe, and guess what, BACKORDER. So after talking to a guy at a local motorcycle shop, I got the number direct to Odyssey, and they said the same, the reg PC680 is on a backorder for 22 weeks. Can't imagine why.

It gets good though. I spoke to the lady there, explained the situation, and for the record, she was a real helpful, she showed some awesome customer service. So in the short, they are shipping me out one PC680MJ-T (which is basically the reg, with the red metal sleeve, and SAE terminals), for the total of $140.95 to mu door USPS from CA.

Now I play the waiting game...oh and thanks for all the tips guys!
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Cool.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow that is a great price. So did you have the mini battery last winter bill? How did it hold up through the cold?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spins4
Well guys, for an update on my situation. After talking to several people and what not, I had decided to just go with the Odyssey PC680. So I called a few places on it, just to check stock, just to be safe, and guess what, BACKORDER. So after talking to a guy at a local motorcycle shop, I got the number direct to Odyssey, and they said the same, the reg PC680 is on a backorder for 22 weeks. Can't imagine why.

It gets good though. I spoke to the lady there, explained the situation, and for the record, she was a real helpful, she showed some awesome customer service. So in the short, they are shipping me out one PC680MJ-T (which is basically the reg, with the red metal sleeve, and SAE terminals), for the total of $140.95 to mu door USPS from CA.

Now I play the waiting game...oh and thanks for all the tips guys!

Spins4, the Odyssey is the battery that came with your Buschur mini battery kit. It is a great battery, but you could get the Deka, which is pretty much the same battery only lighter, for 60 bucks. Vankuen and I tried to save you a few bucks.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

seeing alot of this lately now that its cold. My gets driven once a week or so since im in IRAQ. should be good though but i also have been looking at the braille.......
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Go to your local parts store and get a Miata battery. Its 1/3 the size of the stock one and it IS a car battery.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonestock!
Go to your local parts store and get a Miata battery. Its 1/3 the size of the stock one and it IS a car battery.
That is what i was thinking. Westco makes a really nice miata battery. It is $90 with like 475CCA and is tiny. I am not so concerned about weight as long as it isnt HEAVIER then stock. I am just not sure they are small enough to run with most UIC pipes.

Quick Reply: Best source for mini battery?