Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best source for mini battery?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best source for mini battery?

I did a quick search, but came up short. I am currently using the mini battery that comes with BR mini batt kit. Well, the New England weather got the best of it already .

So I come here to ask. Needing it to keep it the same size, where is the best/rec vendors you guys/gals get yours? If it is at all possible, it would be nice to get a more powerful one, even if their is a significant price difference. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 15, 2007, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

I think the Nesei mini batt is good.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:12 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Check your old battery and read the batterys category group. The hit up an nautical/motorcycle parts supplier and just purchase one from them. Or you could try one of those 25 group honda batteries or even a miata unit. MUCH better than a motorcycle battery. I cant believe people dd a car in winter with those tiny things! Even motorcycles slap on battery tenders through the winter.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
http://www.septechnologies.biz/index...FR0EsgodiSP4Hg

Odyssey is pretty much the best you can get reasonably priced. It's what we run in our race cars.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448

Odyssey is pretty much the best you can get reasonably priced. It's what we run in our race cars.
Ditto....
Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

It all depends on whether you want ultimate reduction or you want enough power for extreme whether and/or aftermarket sound system.

Some batteries go as low as 3lbs as someone posted on review section I think and seems had no problem with cold weather. Most kits with custom tray to fit are usually 15-20lbs just battery themselves.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4Trouble
It all depends on whether you want ultimate reduction or you want enough power for extreme whether and/or aftermarket sound system.

Some batteries go as low as 3lbs as someone posted on review section I think and seems had no problem with cold weather. Most kits with custom tray to fit are usually 15-20lbs just battery themselves.
True. I should have been more specific when I originally posted this. I am more interested in finding one that produces more power. The car is not really a DD, but it is deff more a street car, than it is a race car.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:56 AM

ams??
Old Dec 16, 2007, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

I was running the Odyssey mini, but if I didn't drive the car for a couple of days my AEM ems would kill it, finally I just ran a relocation with an optima deep cycle battery and haven't had an issue since.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448

Nice. Thanks for the link. This site even pretty much has the best price on them.

Last edited by Spins4; Dec 17, 2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Grab yourself a solar battery charger and mount it on your rear deck. They are flat and can look pretty cool if you take the time to install it will a little thought added. Run wires to the battery and it will keep it topped off if you don't drive it that often. Kind of like a built in battery tender.

You said you were gonna run the PC680, Bill? The C.C.A. is pretty damn low for our winters, plus your stereo system draws enough current to exceed the reserve capacity, I don't know what the current capacity of the stock alternator is but if its 85 amps or less, I'd get a more powerful battery. Definitely get some kind of battery tender for your ride.

Anyone want to buy my optima yellow top? I just might get me one of these batteries too

EDIT: You can get the battery WITH the terminals from these guys for $119.52 shipped to anywhere in U.S.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Dec 17, 2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Grab yourself a solar battery charger and mount it on your rear deck. They are flat and can look pretty cool if you take the time to install it will a little thought added. Run wires to the battery and it will keep it topped off if you don't drive it that often. Kind of like a built in battery tender.

You said you were gonna run the PC680, Bill? The C.C.A. is pretty damn low for our winters, plus your stereo system draws enough current to exceed the reserve capacity, I don't know what the current capacity of the stock alternator is but if its 85 amps or less, I'd get a more powerful battery. Definitely get some kind of battery tender for your ride.

Anyone want to buy my optima yellow top? I just might get me one of these batteries too

EDIT: You can get the battery WITH the terminals from these guys for $119.52 shipped to anywhere in U.S.
The battery charger, have you seen a decent one that you recommend? I may go that route, if not, worse case scenario, where it is *not that bad* to take it in and out, I may do that on the days I know I am not going to be moving the car.

But ya, the C.C.A. is rather low, consider our winters, and like you said the music. But in amongst my searches, I have not really seen any that put out more. I did a quick look at the Braile's, but could not find their specs.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The braille stuff is not that hot performance wise and is expensive for what it is. It's light but, common sense tells you the more lead you take out of a lead acid battery the less powerful it will be. No way around physics.

We run the PC925 which is a 28AHR battery and should have enough reserve for a daily driver. It weighs @23lbs. Don't bother with the metal jacket.

Check this out for a battery tender:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...62015_-1_10367

I've seen these and they are pretty nice pieces. I like that you can put the ring terminal leads on and tie wrap the connection somewhere easy to get to so, you don't have to keep opening the hood. You just need to remember to disconnect it before driving off.

Last edited by hotrod2448; Dec 17, 2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Since you don't drive your evo that often, I suggest pulling the battery and having a battery tender hooked up to it in your bedroom or garage or something. Since it will be trickle charged, it will always be fully charged when you need it. If you just pull the battery and DON'T trickle charge it, it will slowly weaken as it sits, so you need something to maintain its surface charge.

This is the common one you can buy at places like Pep Boys and Walmart and stuff (depending on your area). BATTERY TENDER

Here is a SOLAR battery charger too. I prefer to see these mounted on the rear deck and wired directly to the battery. I definitely recommend this for mini-battery owners who leave their car sitting for more than 2 days at times.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Dec 17, 2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Since you don't drive your evo that often, I suggest pulling the battery and having a battery tender hooked up to it in your bedroom or garage or something. Since it will be trickle charged, it will always be fully charged when you need it. If you just pull the battery and DON'T trickle charge it, it will slowly weaken as it sits, so you need something to maintain its surface charge.

This is the common one you can buy at places like Pep Boys and Walmart and stuff (depending on your area). BATTERY TENDER

Here is a SOLAR battery charger too. I prefer to see these mounted on the rear deck and wired directly to the battery. I definitely recommend this for mini-battery owners who leave their car sitting for more than 2 days at times.
Didn't know they had this. Cool idea.

Quick Reply: Best source for mini battery?