Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Might be getting an Evo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dexmix
this ain't no honda. all i needed to do on my honda was give it oil changes.

the evo eats clutches, tires, brakes, transmission fluid, differential fluid, oil, and insurance. they all add up to one ridiculously expensive car. not to mention how much it costs to mod, and repair when you crash it. If its really what you want - do it. But you'll basically be putting your life into a car - which might not be a big deal if you aren't going to school.
About how often would I need to do all of this?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by uhn tiss
Alot. Trust me, you are getting in WAY over your head. Your insurance will go up almost 100 a month I bet.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

working for a car sucks man, I wouldnt do it again.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

dude.. 18 and getting 2 jobs to afford a car.
I love cars just as much as anyone.. but it's really not worth it.
Evo's can be big money pit's. And if you're having to work 2 jobs. You definitely aren't ready for it.
If you don't make more than 30k per year... forget the car. Get a better job, go to school.
Insurance is going to be very high, Gas is expensive (premium). Crappy MPG.
and parts are very expensive to replace.
Do youself a favor, get a honda civic until you can really afford a Evo.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by uhn tiss
this is the normal scheduled maintenance...in stock form

change the oil/oil filter and rotate tires every 5k miles..mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic recommended
change the air filter every 15k miles and cabin filter(not really needed)
change all the fluids and the drive belt every 30k miles
change the timing belt and spark plugs every 60k miles
you can get tires that last longer so you don't have to change them so much..stock tires last about 20k miles if your lucky (low treadwear)
brakes and clutch depends on how you drive

if your modding,racing, or drive it hard alot all of this will need to be done a lot more often
but if you drive normal most of the time then you will be ok

example:...guy adds mods to get more hp and torque....stock clutch can't handle it so it goes poof....guy adds aftermarket clutch....tranny can't handle it so it goes poof.....lol.....so on and so forth

Last edited by kilgoja; Dec 19, 2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by TomsSound
dude.. 18 and getting 2 jobs to afford a car.
I love cars just as much as anyone.. but it's really not worth it.
Evo's can be big money pit's. And if you're having to work 2 jobs. You definitely aren't ready for it.
If you don't make more than 30k per year... forget the car. Get a better job, go to school.
Insurance is going to be very high, Gas is expensive (premium). Crappy MPG.
and parts are very expensive to replace.
Do youself a favor, get a honda civic until you can really afford a Evo.
I make more than twice that and I still dont like paying for the evo. But at least I'm able to do other things. I couldn't imagine having the evo at 18 probably making around 20-25k. I think its impossible unless your really bumming it.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tweakdsm
If you get an evo, please dont crash it.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you really love the car and can afford it without barely getting by, then go for it.

your insurance will most likely go up from the camaro

the evo requires a lot of maintanence. and not to be biased or anything...i think the evo will last longer than the camaro. thats just me though

you cant beat the trany on the evo or else it'll break, the stock clutch sucks, awd is a concern (example...rim/tire size must have the same contact or else it will mess with the system...in other words, no staggered setups are recommended unless the ground contact per rotation is the same), mpg sucks (a tune will fix this fairly well), cops suck, and there's others but i need to get back to studying

good luck with your choice
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't do it man. You'll be smiling non-stop for about two or three months from its performance, and then you'll begin to regret your decision. Like a lot of people already said, working for a car sucks!!! Better to put your time and effort into getting a really great job that can pay for your dream car down the road. Don't burden yourself at 18. Then again, almost everyone has to learn this the hard way, so you're probably going to try and get one anyways. You better price what insurance will cost you though. On a side note, these cars are amazing!
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:24 PM

Wow thanks for all the input everyone. Maybe the Evo wans't a good choice at my age.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

just get a truck man...like the 1988 toyota tacoma i had when i was your age...bought it used with 100k miles on it....paid $6000.....drove it until 300k with hardly any problems at all....that thing was indestructable...i think the guy i sold it to is still driving it around...lol...man i miss that truck...(sheds a tear)
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:29 PM

Do whatever will make you happy. The Evo is not hard to take care of granted you don't beat the hell out of it and track it every weekend, I daily drive mine and it has been nothing short of a dream to own. I'm 19 and I've been doing fine. It's up to you, but I would take into consideration how you will afford it.

My Insurance is $120/month btw
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Alright alright, everyone has general advice and its been great so far, very good points on both sides of the story and yet again another impressive EvoM thread, not too many "oh god there goes insurance again" posts... Maturity level of Evo owners must be going up

Anyway, lets get down to what's important here and what everyone else keeps generalizing: Can you afford it? Its not a simple yes or no, so lets break it down:
How much are you making monthly right now AFTER taxes?
How much are you spending per month on normal expenses (gas, rent, insurance, phone, cable, internet, ****, etc)
How much will you most likely be making a month with both jobs?

Depending on the jobs you should or shouldn't ignore people's comments saying to avoid working two jobs and that its too stressful. I work 5:45am to 2:45pm and have done lots of smaller volunteer things after work, but, they're not that long, and I enjoy both my normal job and the volunteering... enjoying them both is key. The ONLY drawback in my mind if you enjoy both jobs to having two is that you're young and should be having fun with your life, yes the Evo will most likely be loads of fun, but don't lose out on other things just to afford the Evo.

What's your credit like? Can you get approved alone? If not, do you have a cosigner? From that we can get a better idea of monthly payments for the Evo.

Will you have anything saved up to buy the Evo? Or will you be getting a loan for the full 25k?

Lastly: Get a quote for insurance on the Evo for you from many different companies and tell them you're shopping around for the best rate. Like a poster above me when I had my Evo at 18 I paid 100 a month for full coverage insurance (full enough that when it got broken into they replaced even the scratched door panel) shopping around is the key with insurance because many places won't tell you up front about special "discounts" Safe driver, good student, defensive driving course, blah blah, there's a million discounts available on almost every insurance plan.

Do that, and post, or even PM me, and we'll go from there... But trust me when I say there's a reason I can afford a Porsche at 21. And it isn't because I'm making more than 30k/yr, because I'm not. Good planning, good money managing, and a bit o' luck. Helps not to have a girlfriend too

And trust me when I say that if you want an Evo, do what you can to get it, you'll be the happiest person in the world.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Your only 18 and getting two jobs. Save the money and wait until you can really afford and evo. You gotta think gas aint cheap and aint cheap to mod your car. Unless you come from some rich family then okies. If not just save it or you can just send me some money over here. lol. Evos are money pigs.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Alright alright, everyone has general advice and its been great so far, very good points on both sides of the story and yet again another impressive EvoM thread, not too many "oh god there goes insurance again" posts... Maturity level of Evo owners must be going up

Anyway, lets get down to what's important here and what everyone else keeps generalizing: Can you afford it? Its not a simple yes or no, so lets break it down:
How much are you making monthly right now AFTER taxes?
How much are you spending per month on normal expenses (gas, rent, insurance, phone, cable, internet, ****, etc)
How much will you most likely be making a month with both jobs?

Depending on the jobs you should or shouldn't ignore people's comments saying to avoid working two jobs and that its too stressful. I work 5:45am to 2:45pm and have done lots of smaller volunteer things after work, but, they're not that long, and I enjoy both my normal job and the volunteering... enjoying them both is key. The ONLY drawback in my mind if you enjoy both jobs to having two is that you're young and should be having fun with your life, yes the Evo will most likely be loads of fun, but don't lose out on other things just to afford the Evo.

What's your credit like? Can you get approved alone? If not, do you have a cosigner? From that we can get a better idea of monthly payments for the Evo.

Will you have anything saved up to buy the Evo? Or will you be getting a loan for the full 25k?

Lastly: Get a quote for insurance on the Evo for you from many different companies and tell them you're shopping around for the best rate. Like a poster above me when I had my Evo at 18 I paid 100 a month for full coverage insurance (full enough that when it got broken into they replaced even the scratched door panel) shopping around is the key with insurance because many places won't tell you up front about special "discounts" Safe driver, good student, defensive driving course, blah blah, there's a million discounts available on almost every insurance plan.

Do that, and post, or even PM me, and we'll go from there... But trust me when I say there's a reason I can afford a Porsche at 21. And it isn't because I'm making more than 30k/yr, because I'm not. Good planning, good money managing, and a bit o' luck. Helps not to have a girlfriend too

And trust me when I say that if you want an Evo, do what you can to get it, you'll be the happiest person in the world.

I live with my parents now so I really don't have to worry about rent, or any bills for the matter other than my cell phone bill but thats not too much. I currently make 310 dollars a week at my full time job and will probably make around 120-130 bucks a week if I get that second job at the grocery store.

I don't really have great credit yet but my parents will definitely cosign for me.

I won't take a full 25k loan out. I figure I can get anywhere between 5k-7k from my Camaro. The most I would take a loan out for would probably be in the 10k area give or take a few thousand.