Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

do you think this is a scam?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you sent him an email, it might be a typo, missed the 1 in front of the 8 making an 18000 car. 100% feedback? Or I could be wrong and yes it a scam....lol
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
There's no typo, like I said before, the part in the description that says $8000 is a jpg image, not actual text.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like everyone alse already said, scam. Instead of typing the buy it now price and his email, he chose to use a picture with that info on it. Ebay can't searched what info is on a scanned picture, so his add will stay up longer.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

I just did an autocheck on the VIN, and the car is and always has been registered in texas
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

In the seller's feedback are words like "cute", "pink", "Aunt", "daughter", "mirror", "beautiful rug", etc.... Almost seems like this user name is being hijacked to "sell" this item - like they found a dormant account...

Or it seems like an odd person to be selling a modified Evo. Another vote for DEFINITE SCAM.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
If the seller is in the US and they put "USD" after the price, it is probably a scam
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Well, the auction will be over in less than 24 hours. We'll see.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

edit: nevermind
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a repo or abandoned car. Say you have a trailor park, and someone leaves their car there for months, you can claim it was abandoned, get a clear title for it and then just sell it if you don't want it. There could be many reasons. I got an evo for free, and for some reason I didn't want it, I would sell it for a good low price just to get some quick money. One of my friends got an abandoned Acura integra from a garge in the area for $200. Needed only a motor and was in good condition. Probably worth 3 or 4 grand. 5 or so with a $500.00 motor that he just had lying around.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it's in ebay and it does not have paypal as a payment method, DO NOT BUY.
that is my phrase, >copyrighted< haha
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Normanruben
i remeber reading something abouth that. didn't he got it from a repo?
i guess it can happen.
So I haven't gotten a call about it yet and I am like a few miles from him. Its more than likely scam

The guy I was talking about did get his car for 8700 or something. The bank he used to work at tried to sell it but had no bites. It could have been a repo from the bank, but honestly who cares. There is a meet this saturday and he said he would show up with the car.

if this guy does call me and it turns out to be true I am buying the car right then and there. But as we all know already it is a scam.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
well, the funny thing about this is... whoever owns/owned that car screwed me over! hes on this forum.... heres the story

i was selling a set of stock evo ix enkies with near new advans on them... he contacts me asking if i was willing to trade for those five-spoke wheels pictured in the auction..... well, i was also in the market for some wheels for my ladies car, so i said yes........he then said he only had one set of wheels, so he couldnt send his until i sent mine..... i said no, then he sent me his phone #, his business website addy, and a few other things.... i called him, it was really his ##. so i sent my wheels.. cost me $125 (we were gonna pay our own shipping)..... weeks go by, no wheels..... i try contacting him numerous times..... FINALLY, he sends an email saying he has to sell the car, and the wheels went with it... so he'd send my whels back and refund my shipping costs......weeks went by again, and i finally got my wheels back, but when i try to get my money back, hes nowhere to be found! i basically gave up, and just took it as a "ill never do that again!" but only after months of sending emails, and trying to call him

his screenname is Street Solutions Racing

Last edited by vipers; Jan 20, 2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

^ that settles it. 100% scam.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Got this email from him this AM. I'm going to string him along and see what his story is. I'll bet it's the old fake escrow website.

Hello there,

Sorry for my late answer.

Thank you for your interest in my 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer EVOLUTION RS, 11900 miles.

The price I want to obtain for the car is $8,000 US.I recently moved to Portugal due to work and family. I'm selling it because I don't have time to enjoy it. I travel worldwide with my work and I'm home only 2 months per year. I decided to sell it fast and make something else with the money.

The car is like new, completely working, perfect running condition,with no hidden damages or accidents, it has always been garage kept, low miles, non-smoker no flood or storms. It is a US model with US specs and passed the US test emissions. The car is insured in case of damage and you will receive it to your address in 7 working days . It will come with all the necessary papers (clear title, bill of sale, warranty documents, user's manual,insurance etc). The title is clear and you will be able to register the car in your state without any problems.

I am requesting a $2,900 refundable deposit at the beginning of the shipping and the balance to be paid after delivery and inspection. If you are
not 100% content with the car you will be able to ship it back on my expense to get your deposit back. I am sure this will not happen, because it is a state of the art vehicle and you will have no reasons not to be content with it.

We will use eBay Motors as third party. First you will pay the down payment to eBay and you will send the receipt proving your payment to eBay. Please note that eBay will hold your deposit of $2,900 until you will confirm that you received the car and you transferred the title into your name.

If you are interested in getting my car, please give me a fast reply.

Regards,
Joseph Trent

trent3a@yahoo.com

My reply;

Dear Mr. Trent,

I absolutely want the car I've heard that Evos are the coolest car on the road. Just tell me what I have to do now.

XXXXX X.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Jan 21, 2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fake