Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

mid cabin vibration

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by destro92179
Well I use to have a lil rattle at idle. Im thinkin its my xs downpipe tappin something. it wasnt that bad before but it was raining today and now the rattle is pretty loud at idle and goes away as soon as Im driving. Does the rain have something to do with it???
Uhh this is not even close to the same thing as what im experiencing, but i would say if your noise goes away after its done raining then you should check all you bolts to see if something is loose.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

i have a rattle with my dp kinda hitting th transaxle
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

when you say vibration its kinda broad do you have something to make a sound clip
Old Jan 25, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gixxerman11
when you say vibration its kinda broad do you have something to make a sound clip
its not a sound it a feel. i feel the vibration in the drivers/passenger seat
Old Jan 25, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N8THEGR8
they are nexen N5000 m+s.

Change your tires. Those things have a 420A treadwear rating. I bet they grip like bricks.

http://www.tiredeals4less.com/NEXEN_..._P4026C776.cfm
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by destro92179
Well I use to have a lil rattle at idle. Im thinkin its my xs downpipe tappin something. it wasnt that bad before but it was raining today and now the rattle is pretty loud at idle and goes away as soon as Im driving. Does the rain have something to do with it???
I had a vibration/light knocking sound at idle (sounded like somone tapping on the floorboard from underneath the car LOL). Turned out it was my front motor mount bolt coming loose. Luckily, it never came all the way out. Tightened it back up and no more vibration at idle...
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

does it happen at idle? if it does, it has nothing to do with the tires or wheels obviously.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Is it really that bad? Evos tend to vibrate here and there from my experience just something thats a reality with a mitsu

James
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
I already added to this topic. I was clearly pointing out your inability to read the original post and add to this topic yourself.

kthnxbye
you're right, i'm dumb...asking for more information is soooo stupid....thank you for showing me the errors of my ways. i will ask you if its ok before i post anything else mr all knowing
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From my experience outside the Evo- when you get vibration in the seat it points to Drive shaft u joints or center bearing...can also be a rear bearing..To find either...get the car off the ground put it on gear and watch the tires rotate checking for a wabble...drive chaft is the same approach...use chalk as a way to gauge the out of round by getting as close to the drive shaft of tire as you can until the chalk touches and then look for breaks in the chalk line...if things are straight the chalk circle will be complete...if there are spaces or breaks- something is out of round.. Its worked for me on numberous ocassions when looking for crazy issues like this. Regards
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8zip
you're right, i'm dumb...asking for more information is soooo stupid....thank you for showing me the errors of my ways. i will ask you if its ok before i post anything else mr all knowing
There was no need for you to ask for more information. If you would have read his original post you would have seen that it isn't an idle issue. Why would he think it's in the rear axle if he was sitting still?

You just got a little butt-hurt because someone called you out on something that you should have been a little bit smarter about. Just suck it up and laugh about it and don't try to be such a tough guy.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
From my experience outside the Evo- when you get vibration in the seat it points to Drive shaft u joints or center bearing...can also be a rear bearing..
I thought about this at first as well due to all the problems I had seen in the past with u-joints going bad on older cars / trucks. However, the vibration that is sensed in those usually isn't only at a certain speed. It usually starts at a certain speed (25 MPH or so) and continues as you go faster. When talking about tire balance, though, I've seen many examples of where an out-of-balance tire will cause a certain vibration at a specific speed, and only that speed. The most common is when you do dynamic balancing (weights only on the inside) and you don't get a road force balance. They usually vibrate slightly from around 75 to 85 and then they are smooth again.

Since his tires have such a hard compound, I'd venture to say that he didn't get a quality balance done (road force balance using a Hunter 9700 wheel balancing system). Quite possibly, these tires might even be unable to be properly balanced to make them totally vibration free.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for all the input. Im guessing its not drivetrain related due to the fact that its at about 30mph and tapers completely away by 45/50mph. Also i just got back from Seattle last night and noticed when drinving for a long time the vibration goes away completely(my guess is the tires actually got warm enough). I will be changing out rims/tires in spring. I must say i will put up with the vibration for these tires in the winter cause they have mad traction in the snow.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure how many miles he has on it. It should be easy for anyone with a lift to check for wheel bearing or drive shaft play. But given the timing on things I'll agree with that it is likely a wheel balance issue. Do you have anyone to swap wheels with just to try?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=248775

Quick Reply: mid cabin vibration