Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO Transmission

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2002, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO Transmission

This is a newbie question and I hope it hasn't been asked before but, I was wondering if there was any release on the Transmission types available (AT, MT, Sportronic). I was also wondering if anyone has any feedback on Mitsubishi and their Sportronic
Old Apr 13, 2002, 12:05 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

There has been no press releases on what transmissions the US will get. I'm sure MT will be standard with AT as a $2000 option. The AT is Mitsubishi's INVECS-II Sport-Mode 5A/T with steering wheel selector that has been used on the Galant VR-4 in other countries. Also there is still the question of which MT we will get, the 5 speed currently in the Evo 7 or a new 6 speed rumored to be in the Evo 8.
Old Apr 16, 2002, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

what I'm worried about is that the INVECS-II system automatic will be taken out of US-Spec EVO model and a regular 4-speed auto will replace it. The WRX in Japan has a 4-speed automatic with sport-shift function, and it still comes to the US as a regular 4-speed auto.

I really hope the INVECS-II will get here because the EVO i'll be getting will be automatic...
Old Apr 16, 2002, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

I wish it only comes with MT (don't care if 5sp or 6sp). If there is going to be an AT option, then most likely we will see the GT-A. And probably add MT to the GT-A.

I don't think about it.
It gives me a headache just pondering what MITS is up to.
Old Apr 16, 2002, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

ATs rule
Old Apr 16, 2002, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
ATs rule
AT tranny on a rally car, let me see now, how does that saying go that I heard once from a wise man on this forum............Oh ya, "That would be like putting ketchup on a pancake."

You can have your AT tranny, as long as I get my Manual one from Mitsu as well.
Old Apr 16, 2002, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

The automatic EVO (GT-A) comes with smaller turbo, smaller tires and is heavier. It makes less hp than the manual and looses hp through the torque converter.
Old Apr 16, 2002, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly.....count me in for a manual

It'd be very nice of Mitsu. to bring over the INVECS-II, but then again....I don't really care, 'cause I don't want a AT.

Hooby
Old Apr 16, 2002, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Manual for me, I'm just hoping it aint gonna be that ****ty one that all the DSM turbos have.
F*ck I wish nothing on the car will be DSM quality, even it's just floor mats, which will probably disintergrate and take out the floor plate too. And for some reason it will be the clutch's fault.
Crankwalk blah blah...DSM power is very very good, but DSm quality is very very bad.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 12:37 AM

Just a little insight to the DSM vs Evo we are supposedly getting....

There is no known cranwalk issues with the Evo/GVR4 engines from Japan. I myself have a Talon AWD with a Evo III engine(common swap). I have verified that it does have stronger internals.

Just as a sidenote....the Evo IV(Current 4G63 engine configuration) and up are a totally different engine configuration versus the Evo III(Like DSMs 4G63). Engine was turned 180 degrees.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 12:25 PM

Above, someone mentioned the disadvantages of AT, I was wondering how the transmission that is AT/MT (sorry for the poor terminology) like the Eclipse has compares to just AT and MT