Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

THINKING TO PUT 'SARD CATALYTIC CONVERTER'... someone help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THINKING TO PUT 'SARD CATALYTIC CONVERTER'... someone help

I have an Evo IX. I have a full TBE. it was very loud so i changed the regular test-pipe to a Megan resonated testpipe. now, there is a loud rattling/vibrating noise coming from underneath the car, and it rattles the stickshift and handbrake handle.
So, I need to change it our again. I found this product (an aftermarket catalytic) - i think it will solve all my issues. it will take away any vibration that the Megan resonated pipe is causing and any rattling associated with it. it will also make my overall exhaust quieter, as i wanted to do in the first place (btw, i dont mind losing a couple hp)

SO, does anyone know about this particular product? is it good? reliable? will it help with my issues?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SARD-...spagenameZWD1V
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Why not just find out what it's hitting and "fix it" rather than change parts, spend money, lose hp??
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:17 AM

BR's hfc is cheaper. IDK if it is compatible with your exhaust, but I'd call them and find out.

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...70a980f3450cb9
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I will be very surprised if that is an actual SARD cat. Those things were @ $1K dollars a few years ago.

Also, when I went from an HFC to straight pipe my car got quieter everywhere but, WOT. In my experience most HFC's drone really bad.

I agree with tony b. Get under there and fix what's rubbing. I had to remove one of the heat shields.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get under there and find out what it's hitting. The idea of paying $490 for a cat is beyond hilarious
Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

if i could just get under there, i would. obviously only someone 2" tall can get under there. just going to a shop and putting it on a lift is gonna be $50,and another $50 to fix the rattle. and when its said and done, the exhaust is still gonna be loud which was the first problem to begin with. i thought this megan pipe will solve it, and it only made it worse.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

It's probably just your heat shield hitting the cat. All you need to do is bang the heat shield away from the cat and your all good.
The Sard cat is a very good cat just like the Apexi Catilyzer, but it may cause the same problem you are having right now.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

wow that is a lot of money for a high flow cat......fix what you got or get a perrin highflow cat for 1/2 that price.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:16 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go for the perrin high flow cat

I'm guessing your megan RTP rattle is the same as everyone else's, the O2 sensor hitting the heatshield.

If not, your exhaust may not have been lined up properly and might be hitting something.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

well this is what i did. i bought a small ramp today, and drove the car up to see whats up underneath. the heat shield clears the Megan pipe by several inches, and everything else aligns perfectly.
so this is a mystery for now!
Old Mar 4, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

What about the 02 sensor ? how far away is it from the heatshield and floor board. I actually had to ding up the floorboard because it was hitting it.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on the Perrin HFC.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

call me crazy but there is no O2 sensor. the hole where it goes is patched up.
am i blind ? am i looking at the wrong thing ??

Originally Posted by ROGERV
What about the 02 sensor ? how far away is it from the heatshield and floor board. I actually had to ding up the floorboard because it was hitting it.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure your downpipe isn't rattling against the crossmembers? That's what my issue was...fixed it by buying an RMR brace that can accommodate larger DPs.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

I had this same issue bro. I installed my resonated test pipe and something started rattling underneath the car. I jacked up my car and it was the heat shield right above the test pipe. I pushed on it with a flathead and it gave me another half inch of clearance. I haven’t heard the rattle since. Good luck.

Quick Reply: THINKING TO PUT 'SARD CATALYTIC CONVERTER'... someone help