Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The "Official" Evo Modding for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by golgo13
I come from N/A, so I know little to nothing about turbos. There are so many options out there, where should I begin?
search and read search and read. that's DAY's worth of reading here, maybe weeks.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I come from N/A, so I know little to nothing about turbos. There are so many options out there, where should I begin?
if you want to tell me your goals with the car...I'll give you some good ideas
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:15 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wjamyers
search and read search and read. that's DAY's worth of reading here, maybe weeks.
That was what I discovered as well when I poke around a bit here and on the internet in general.

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
if you want to tell me your goals with the car...I'll give you some good ideas
Hey, thanks!

Well I started a thread in the newbie forums asking for help and basically I looking for my next mod that will net me the most power for the money. I'm not focusing strictly on a larger turbo, but I would like to learn more about them.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

That was what I discovered as well when I poke around a bit here and on the internet in general.

Hey, thanks!

Well I started a thread in the newbie forums asking for help and basically I looking for my next mod that will net me the most power for the money. I'm not focusing strictly on a larger turbo, but I would like to learn more about them.
if you aren't against it and don't already have it...meth injection is one of the best bang for the buck upgrade you can do
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

if you aren't against it and don't already have it...meth injection is one of the best bang for the buck upgrade you can do
How much does that affect reliability and how "stealthy" is it when you look under the hood?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
it would literally take me a day to sit here and list all possible turbos and applications

I wouldn't really consider that modding for dummies material...if you are upgrading turbos you should know enough about them to pick one yourself
I think a stock-framed turbo upgrade would fit within the general classification of "bolt-on upgrades" - after all, a turbo is not particularly difficult to remove/install, and it DOES bolt on without any additional parts/changes, other than a remap of the ECU and possibly larger injectors/bigger fuel pump.

The benefits of stock-frame turbo upgrades are:
  • spool characteristics similar to the OEM Mitsubishi turbo
  • lower cost of entry
  • easy/simple installation
  • OEM-like appearance, if you're into having an engine compartment that looks stock
A few easy, popular options:

FP White
FP Green
FP Red
CBRD BBK (full and lite)
MAP SST

Of course, it is up to the individual Evo owner to decide which turbo upgrade option is best for them... there's always a tradeoff between quick spool and fast transient response vs. ultimate top-end power.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I will add this info to the original post egbeater
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im trying to figure out the shift bushings if anyone can enlighten me id greatly appreciate it. between 8pc 5 pc underhood and shifter base bushings it enough to make a mechanically inclined person go crosseyed. A friend replaces his "shift bushings" and it made a tremendous difference so im looking to do the same. Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:41 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Skott2k
Im trying to figure out the shift bushings if anyone can enlighten me id greatly appreciate it. between 8pc 5 pc underhood and shifter base bushings it enough to make a mechanically inclined person go crosseyed. A friend replaces his "shift bushings" and it made a tremendous difference so im looking to do the same. Thanks
I've replaced my bushings and there are two under the hood and four under the actual shifter "cage" in the cabin of the vehicle.

The install is easy, I did mine in about an hour.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Skott2k
Underhood shifter bushing will make the most noticeable difference. There are two of them and they are located right on the transmission. They are connected to the shifter linkages.

Shifter base bushing don't make a drastic difference in my opinion. They mount below the shifter assembly to keep it in place more securely.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

perfect thread for new people. helps alot.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:38 PM

this is a great thread, kudos++ to the OP

cheers
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:43 AM

Question tune

Tune:

The most common method of tuning these cars now a days is a simple reflash. Evos have a few programs available for download that have tons of logging parameters and can be used to log and tune these cars. Any evo tuner can do this for you or you can do everything yourself with a laptop/Tactix cable/programs. You can get the car street tuned or dyno tuned. Either way, a tune is the true way to unlock the potential of an Evo. It gets you the most out of your mods and allows proper adjustment for fuel/boost/etc. Bottom line, GET A TUNE!!!

- I only mentioned a reflash because it is the most sensible option for someone new to modding
- Search the forums for tuners in your area or those that offer mail in flashes.
- Increases power as well as gas mileage.
- A TUNE IS THE MOST WORTH WHILE MOD FOR THIS CAR - WHETHER YOU INTEND TO MOD IT OR NOT!!!

can the dealer do this for you or you have to go for tuners?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ezzcoke
Absolutely not for dealerships.

Picking a tuner would be your best bet for chipping your stock computer.

Many around Mellon tuning has been highly recommended.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by ezzcoke
since you are in NJ you are lucky to have probably one of the best tuners in the world at your finger tips

pm sean@iveytune

he is a great tuner and could definitely help you out

Quick Reply: The "Official" Evo Modding for Dummies