Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo to Mustang/Mustang to Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had an ' 03 GT with minor mods and loved it. Have a '03 Evo VIII and I'm addicted. Enough said.
'
Old Mar 20, 2008, 02:14 AM

after driving the new gt stang it was cool but when i bought my evo ....... end of story
Old Mar 20, 2008, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

If we must compare these cars, I think it is funny to note that imports are now off-the-lot "Mustang" fast. I used to have a bunch of Stang friends and I would always get blasted for driving an import (I had a few Eclipses at the time). It always took some work to get what a stock Stang had.

As it has been said many, many times, they are two very different cars for very different driving desires. I don't know how things are where you live, but around here Mustang guys are always raggin' importers (that are worth anything) for straight line races because that is seemingly their leverage. Despite their high dollar suspension upgrades, they won't dare challenge handling.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
"agile"...
Nimble, sprightly, brisk, and spry. Vs awkward, sluggish, and lethargic.(courtesty of dictionary.com)

Take your pick.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

ive had over 15 mustangs in the past 4 years and they all had over 500hp....i love mustangs and grew up around them but nothing compares to an evo; the turbo spooling, the AWD, the look....i actully jsut bought annother 90 stang and built the motor to like 470 hp....so i still have both...as if u look at my signture u will see ahha

stay evo in myopinion i will never trade mine
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
i wouldent sell the evo. imo the evo can be made to suit any kind of driver just depends on the mod path you take.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Take it from someone who owns both... if you modify a GT enough to perform as well as a stock Evo... prepare to have it in the shop 60-70% of it's life.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 07:54 AM

I'm appreciating the replies. I'm an enthusiast who appreciates all well-engineered, enjoyable to drive cars, no matter the performance level. If something were to happen to my Evo tomorrow I could wind up in a Honda Fit...

The main reason that I'm not in a Mustang is the existence of the Evo, a turn-key car that does it all. If I was to buy a standard Mustang GT I'd be throwing $5k at it almost immediately and though bolt-ons are fun, it seems wasteful to discard, say, an entire suspension on a new car. The aforementioned Bullitt sounds like a well-sorted version of the current Mustang, as good as the chassis can get without a thorough re-engineerng and IRS.

Anyhow, I'm recalling a conversation I had with a mechanic/crew chief of a Grand Am team that campaigns Mustangs. They send their Mexican-built transmissions to a race shop for extensive modification before installation in a car. "Dosen't matter" he said, "They're still sh*t."....

Last edited by Fujilicious; Mar 20, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fujilicious
Anyhow, I'm recalling a conversation I had with a mechanic/crew chief of a Grand Am team that campaigns Mustangs. They send their Mexican-built transmissions to a race shop for extensive modification before installation in a car. "Dosen't matter" he said, "They're still sh*t."....
LOL, No doubt... the first thing I did to my Terminator was put a Roush TKO on it.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:41 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I despise Mustangs and always have. Its probably from owning F bodies growing up. To me, a Mustang and an Evo are after a totally different demographic. I can't really see how they cross.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

I say if you have the money get both. I think my Evo is a blast to drive and its simply an amazing feat of technology. But I love muscle cars as well and my Evo will never get the kind of attention or respect my '69 Chevelle gets with its 500hp sprint car V-8 and deafening Nascar exhaust. I 've always liked the idea of having a nasty muscle car and a high powered import. Got em both and wouldn't get rid of either of them.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

no way, inflated price, nose heavy, and sluggish. you basically pay for a bunch of cheap plastic body parts, a paint job, rims, and an extra 200hp and would still get out performed by an evo in many aspects. just my opinion. the only mustang id trade for is would be the super snake, and i dont think thatll ever make production
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from a '99 GT to my '05 evo back at the tail end of 2004. Never looked back. Ive also driven quite a few more recent editions including the current model GT.

The mustang was a lot more comfortable as a daily driver, but had enough power to make driving to work/school fun. It definitely did not get your blood going like an evo does though.

In all honestly, I would have a tough time driving a lot of miles in an evo as a DD. Its just too darn unfomfortable sometimes. Sometimes after a short nights sleep or a long day at work, the last thing I want to do is wrestle a modded evo through bad rush hour traffic. Thats what made the mustang a decent car - I found it really easy to drive, manual or auto. But as far as driving entertainment and capability goes, the evo is just in a different ballpark.

The newest mustang is actually somewhat entertaining to drive, although if you dont mind the older body style, I really like the '99 and '01 cobras. They were all aluminum DOHC V-8's with 320 hp, IRS, 5 spd. Fairly light as far as muscle cars go and handled a lot better and were much better balanced than the newer cobras/GT500's. They are pretty cheap now since no-one remembers them after Ford started putting superchargers on cobras.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XIEvolutionIX
no way, inflated price, nose heavy, and sluggish. you basically pay for a bunch of cheap plastic body parts, a paint job, rims, and an extra 200hp and would still get out performed by an evo in many aspects. just my opinion. the only mustang id trade for is would be the super snake, and i dont think thatll ever make production
Yeah...and the paint and interior is sooooo much better on the EVO.

I went from a 03 Cobra to a 03 Evo. Loved both of them, but the practicality of the Evo won me over for while. I sold the Evo and bought another 04 Cobra, but my wife got pregnant with our 2nd and the Cobra was soon gone for another Evo. I love both cars for what they are and what they do and if I could, I would have both no questions asked.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I have an 03 evo VIII and a supercharged 99 Mustang GT. The Evo is much more fun to drive in the curves, the stang is a much more fun to drive in a straight line. Here's a recent video I made showing how the stang pulls:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...mph_153846.htm

Both cars are very addicting to me, and I need both to get my fix of turning and torque.