Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A few complaints that I have bin reading and have not had any problems.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few complaints that I have bin reading and have not had any problems.

Hey all,

I have almost a 1K on the EVO and I have bin driving it hard.

First I have read on this forum that 2nd gear grinds if you **** it at red line, This is not a problem with my EVO at all. Shifts very smooth and I power shifted a few times with out any problems.

Mid-rang power is unreal in this car but up top it’s a little doggy. I know the car runs really rich but I was hopping it would be much faster on top. Kinda not worth it to wine the motor out.

Clutch seams fine to me but yet again only 1K on the car so far.

Tranny is very noise. But I like that race car feel

Car plows in the wet. Just going to assume that the tires have not heated enough.

Now I was hopping to do a re-flash from Vishnu when it comes out. I’m sure it will be what I’m looking for with power up top. I’m not to keen on getting an exhaust yet because I really like the way the stock one sounds.

Doing a MBC is out of the question with out EM. A S-AFC is a thought but I wonder if the ECU reads off the Knock sensor at higher RPM. Being a WRXer the WRX ecu stops reading knock counts after 5500 rpm or so because it’s not dynamic enough to determine knock over engine noise at high rpm. Does anyone know if this is a fact with the EVO?

Now the only reason I was thinking of doing a AFC was because I have one sitting at home from a old project car and I have a wide band 02 to tune it on the street. (and a dyno only about 45min way from me to fine tune it). So it’s a cheap solution to the upper rpm fuel problems.

Any input would be great.

Thanks Eric
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

I have to share my experience as well. I have over 1,300 miles on my car. I haven't ridden it hard 'till last night. I got a boost gauge installed on my steering colunmn and I wanted to make sure it worked.
I took it on a straight rode and almost red-lined in every gear up until 4th. The clutch was fine and there was no grinding in second. I did it a 2nd time on the way back on the same road. No grinding in 2nd.

I will admit that the transimission is Extremely noisy. Its getting noisier at time goes on..or so it seems. The car makes a little whining noise when its winding down from a stop from 3rd or 4th gear. And the suspension made a small little noise last night when I made a slow, quick turn. Reading these posts makes me a little paranoid. But I always have an ear to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Just my .02 - .05 cents.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Afc works wonderfully on mine!! Night and day difference..
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Jonasan50
Afc works wonderfully on mine!! Night and day difference..
Ya I have bin hearing good things.

Eric
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

And I've come to find a lot of guys saying they have winding noises as they slow to a stop... That would be your tires... They are loud.. And sticky... No problem...
Old Aug 5, 2003, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey fellas,

I have 1800 miles on my EVO, and drove it hard since ~601 miles per MMC break-in advice.

I've had the dreaded decel noise, mostly in 3rd and 4th gear since early on. I have grinded 2nd and 3rd once, but it was my fault. No problems with redline shifting, but mostly I try to take it easy so I don't "overload" the restrictor and end up burning clutch.

I get vibrations sometimes at idle or on hwy, which I attribute to the extremely stiff motor mounts and generally stiff susp. I had poly bushings in my Integra and it was the same way.

Car sticks amazingly well, with good power. I too yearn for more top-end and a little more tq. I wouldn't touch anything else. Sometimes the car seems inconsistent, like it feels very fast then others, not so much. I think this is mostly weather related, car seems sensitive to high humidity/temps.

I like the brakes, but thought they would have more initial bite. Mine are very progressive, the hard I push, the harder they stop. Not sure if others perform the same? At first, I would find myself not applying enough pressure, but I'm used to it now. They are much more confidence inspiring.

One other thing: if I'm at partial throttle so it builds boost, then I quickly back off the throttle at ~4-5K rpm, I get a little bucking which may be compressor surge. Does that mean my stock BPV is not working well? I definitely don't want to hurt the poor turbo since I don't plan to change it anytime soon.

Thoughts?

FB
Old Aug 5, 2003, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by berkel

One other thing: if I'm at partial throttle so it builds boost, then I quickly back off the throttle at ~4-5K rpm, I get a little bucking which may be compressor surge. Does that mean my stock BPV is not working well? I definitely don't want to hurt the poor turbo since I don't plan to change it anytime soon.

Thoughts?

FB
I would not assume Compressor surge. I would not rule it out but just not the first thing to worry about on a stock car yet? It's kind off like drive train lag to de-cell. All awd turbo cars that i have driven have done that to a extent. The resone it's more noticable in the EVO is because of the hard motor and tranny mounts.

Eric
Old Aug 5, 2003, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Dam, Eric you got about a hundred miles on me! I've been doing an extended break-in and have only brought it up to 4,500 RPM or so, but I agree with your comment on the feel. While, the engine is producing more power up high its doing it with a greater percentage of RPMs as compared to torque than in the mid-range.

I have found the handling to be phenominal and its hard for me to find a much better car for driving through mountain twisties and country roads. I have found the ride to be fine on almost any surface except bad pothole filled roads. I also haven't had any problems with highway driving (i.e. "steering is too quick"). The transmission makes some noises when shifting, but I have heard similar noises on other cars and I'm not really concerned. While the clutch is light, I do think its weak as I have smelled it burn on a couple of occasions when I didn't launch very hard. Luckily, I don't intend to drag-race, but an aftermarket clutch is definitely going to be looked into when this one goes.

As for things I'd change? Perhaps some weight reduction would be nice (removing some of the sound deadening material is one that I can think of immediately). A smaller turning circle and a sixth gear for highway cruising would be nice too.

BTW..the car gets tons of attention, especially from the younger sport compact car crowd. Lancers and WRXs constantly honk and give me the thumbs up!
Old Aug 5, 2003, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by revhappy
Dam, Eric you got about a hundred miles on me! I've been doing an extended break-in and have only brought it up to 4,500 RPM or so, but I agree with your comment on the feel. While, the engine is producing more power up high its doing it with a greater percentage of RPMs as compared to torque than in the mid-range.

I have found the handling to be phenominal and its hard for me to find a much better car for driving through mountain twisties and country roads. I have found the ride to be fine on almost any surface except bad pothole filled roads. I also haven't had any problems with highway driving (i.e. "steering is too quick"). The transmission makes some noises when shifting, but I have heard similar noises on other cars and I'm not really concerned. While the clutch is light, I do think its weak as I have smelled it burn on a couple of occasions when I didn't launch very hard. Luckily, I don't intend to drag-race, but an aftermarket clutch is definitely going to be looked into when this one goes.

As for things I'd change? Perhaps some weight reduction would be nice (removing some of the sound deadening material is one that I can think of immediately). A smaller turning circle and a sixth gear for highway cruising would be nice too.

BTW..the car gets tons of attention, especially from the younger sport compact car crowd. Lancers and WRXs constantly honk and give me the thumbs up!
Ya tell me about, this girl came up to me while I was at a gas station filling up and asked for my number. First she said hot car. I showed her the ring and I think see said to bad. Oh boy! I don't think she was any older then 19.

Oh well ya a lot of thumbups but what really scars me some really shaddy people are like hey bro how much you pay for that..

One *** hole asked if I had lo-jack. So scared. The car is sitting under lock and key right now.

Did my first mod Boost gauge (Greaddy) 198 bucks shipped over night and I just got in my Blue shift noob. The only reason I don't have more milage is the fact that I have bin super busy with work.

But this is a 2nd car for me really So I don't see more then 5K per year.

Eric
Old Aug 5, 2003, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

Ya tell me about, this girl came up to me while I was at a gas station filling up and asked for my number. First she said hot car. I showed her the ring and I think see said to bad. Oh boy! I don't think she was any older then 19.

Oh well ya a lot of thumbups but what really scars me some really shaddy people are like hey bro how much you pay for that..

One *** hole asked if I had lo-jack. So scared. The car is sitting under lock and key right now.

Did my first mod Boost gauge (Greaddy) 198 bucks shipped over night and I just got in my Blue shift noob. The only reason I don't have more milage is the fact that I have bin super busy with work.

But this is a 2nd car for me really So I don't see more then 5K per year.

Eric
Yup..mine is locked in the garage and watched like an eagle every time its parked somewhere else. I really think I might have to start checking IDs when I meet chics now.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

3000 miles here and absolutely no problems. Wing is fine, tranny and engine seem to be still very strong. No rattles anywhere. Very MINOR paint chips (if any). Driver Recaro is sagging a little, but I consider that very minor and easily fixable. I have an MBC, AEM cone filter, and Boost gauge, and soon to get an EGT gauge and debating whether to get an XEDE, S-AFC II, or a WORKS reflash. I really am very undecided so far, but a downpipe, cat-delete, and any of the 3 above will be definite within 3 weeks.

STi
M3
G35
Fairlady Z
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

not sure what all your anger is against those other fine autos...