Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Death Whine strikes again!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you go to sheps website, it says under the catalog section that he upgrades the bolts on the cover of the t-case. Its says the stock bolts allow flexing of the ring and pinion, so this can happen to any evo at anytime, I think its just a matter of luck!
Old May 7, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

well i just made my apointment at the dealership, I dont have any of the stock stuff to put back in it for the time being. So ill have to drop it off the way it is. The apt is for the to "diagnose" the problem, lol. Then they'll submit a warranty claim and see what happens. Ill keep you guys posted.
Old May 7, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jpetro10
well i just made my apointment at the dealership, I dont have any of the stock stuff to put back in it for the time being. So ill have to drop it off the way it is. The apt is for the to "diagnose" the problem, lol. Then they'll submit a warranty claim and see what happens. Ill keep you guys posted.
You have ONE shot at getting it covered. DO NOT screw it up by sending your car in like that. They have red flagged people for simply adding a boost gauge and claiming abuse! You have exhaust, high boost tune, and METH and you think they are going to say thats ok for the TC? The only shot you have is to give them a completely stock car, make nicey nice with your service advisor, play dumb as to what the noise could be, and pray to God that they get the district rep to sign off on your $4,000 claim. Trust me... They will find anything to void you. Otherwise don't even bother.
Old May 7, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by groove304
You have ONE shot at getting it covered. DO NOT screw it up by sending your car in like that. They have red flagged people for simply adding a boost gauge and claiming abuse! You have exhaust, high boost tune, and METH and you think they are going to say thats ok for the TC? The only shot you have is to give them a completely stock car, make nicey nice with your service advisor, play dumb as to what the noise could be, and pray to God that they get the district rep to sign off on your $4,000 claim. Trust me... They will find anything to void you. Otherwise don't even bother.
i wish i could but i dont have any of the stock parts i know im prolly screwed, but if they turn me down then im out $80 for the diagnoses. BUT if somehow the rep is on vaca and everyone else is lazy and i squeek through, then itll be a good *** day! Im hoping i can say none of the mods DIRECTLY effected the tc?!?!?!?
Old May 7, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
groove is right though even though u dont have the stock parts its still worth trying to find or get them because you go in like that u have 0% chance.
Old May 7, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by groove304
Listen to this guy. He is right. You are just wasting your time and money if you bring your car in like that. Do you know any other Mitsubishi service/repair shops? A lot of these other repair shops work with warranty claims so it might benefit you to shop around rather than paying Mitsubishi so that they can bend you over.
Old May 7, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

subscribed in anticipation of the guy's results with the dealer... jebus help you with all those mods
Old May 7, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

let us know after you talk to the dealer. I am curious..
Old May 8, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

ok so I went to wildcat mitsu in Tucson this moring. But before I went I called them last night and spoke with the GM (service manager was gone) and told him about the situation.

I explained that I HAVE mods, BUT this is what was going on. I told him none of the mods directly relate to the TC, one of the first things he ask was if i had an upgraded clutch, which i dont. I told him i DO have other mods and kinda went down the list, Im not gonna lie, i kinda played it off like i didnt know much about these cars, lol. After talkin to him he told me since im not the orig owner i have a 5yr 60k (rather than the 6yr 100k )on the drive train and seeing as how i havent modded the drive train at all he was pretty certain it would be covered under warranty. After hearing that i almost **** myself, lol.

So i go their today thinking im golden! I go over everything i went over with the GM with the service advisor and he said that the GM had spoken with him about it soo im stoked! They do the diagnostic and come back and tell me it is the TC (uuuuuh huuuuuuh, lol) THEN they drop the BOMB on me. They tell me, "well, it would be a warranty item, but whoever did the tc oil change put the wrong fluid in it!!!!" WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???? He said that their was ATF Fluid in it! He went on to say he wishes their was something he could do, but with the wrong oil they cant warranty the part, which I understand.

So the ONLY thing i can think of is when i was up in WA before i moved, I worked at a car dealer which is where i had the work done, but I went to a mitsu dealer in the Everrett area (Now its been closed), with my own container and told them 4+ times i needed TC and Diff fluid for my 06 EVOLUTION. They went in the shop, filled up my container, handed it back to me and i went on my marry f*ckin way!

So now im beyond pissed just because of the fact that they were really cool at the dealership and it WOULD have been covered if i wouldnt have got the shaft from the now deceased dealer in WA. I guess i am to blame too, i should have poured a little bit out and inspected it before i gave it to the tech at my work...i guess, but when you repetedly tell the parts guy what you want you would think they wouldnt **** it up like that.

So they put in the right gear oil and it did make the whine a LOT better, almost hardly noticable, Im out $180 for the daig and oil change, But I will be doing a shep rebuild probably within the next month or two and with how little of a whine im getting now with the RIGHT oil in there, I dont think their should be an issue of leaving it for a month or two.
Old May 8, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dam man sorry to hear about the atf fluid.. sucks. Glad the whine is almost gone now with the right oil
Old May 8, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpetro10
ok so I went to wildcat mitsu in Tucson this moring. But before I went I called them last night and spoke with the GM (service manager was gone) and told him about the situation.

I explained that I HAVE mods, BUT this is what was going on. I told him none of the mods directly relate to the TC, one of the first things he ask was if i had an upgraded clutch, which i dont. I told him i DO have other mods and kinda went down the list, Im not gonna lie, i kinda played it off like i didnt know much about these cars, lol. After talkin to him he told me since im not the orig owner i have a 5yr 60k (rather than the 6yr 100k )on the drive train and seeing as how i havent modded the drive train at all he was pretty certain it would be covered under warranty. After hearing that i almost **** myself, lol.

So i go their today thinking im golden! I go over everything i went over with the GM with the service advisor and he said that the GM had spoken with him about it soo im stoked! They do the diagnostic and come back and tell me it is the TC (uuuuuh huuuuuuh, lol) THEN they drop the BOMB on me. They tell me, "well, it would be a warranty item, but whoever did the tc oil change put the wrong fluid in it!!!!" WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???? He said that their was ATF Fluid in it! He went on to say he wishes their was something he could do, but with the wrong oil they cant warranty the part, which I understand.

So the ONLY thing i can think of is when i was up in WA before i moved, I worked at a car dealer which is where i had the work done, but I went to a mitsu dealer in the Everrett area (Now its been closed), with my own container and told them 4+ times i needed TC and Diff fluid for my 06 EVOLUTION. They went in the shop, filled up my container, handed it back to me and i went on my marry f*ckin way!

So now im beyond pissed just because of the fact that they were really cool at the dealership and it WOULD have been covered if i wouldnt have got the shaft from the now deceased dealer in WA. I guess i am to blame too, i should have poured a little bit out and inspected it before i gave it to the tech at my work...i guess, but when you repetedly tell the parts guy what you want you would think they wouldnt **** it up like that.

So they put in the right gear oil and it did make the whine a LOT better, almost hardly noticable, Im out $180 for the daig and oil change, But I will be doing a shep rebuild probably within the next month or two and with how little of a whine im getting now with the RIGHT oil in there, I dont think their should be an issue of leaving it for a month or two.
You should never bring your own container and let them fill up whatever they think is right for the tc and rear diff. Diaqueen LSD fluid comes in its own small container and you could just buy a brand new jug. On the plus side when you get your tc rebuilt , you can upgrade the bolts the prevent deflection.
Old May 8, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
You should never bring your own container and let them fill up whatever they think is right for the tc and rear diff. Diaqueen LSD fluid comes in its own small container and you could just buy a brand new jug. On the plus side when you get your tc rebuilt , you can upgrade the bolts the prevent deflection.
Yea i know, lessons learned i guess. But damn, i mean when you tell them multiple times what you want and they tell you they're going to get it, i thought they would know. Oooh well, its just an expensive *** mistake.
Old May 8, 2008, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
it would have never happened if you had the stock fluid in there. I thought it you said you had OEM fluid in there. I learned the hard way and put Royal purple after a clutch install....few weeks 0 launches later....whine.

Good luck with everything.
Old May 8, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
it would have never happened if you had the stock fluid in there. I thought it you said you had OEM fluid in there. I learned the hard way and put Royal purple after a clutch install....few weeks 0 launches later....whine.

Good luck with everything.
i thought i did have oem fluid. I kinda did, they just gave me the WRONG oem fluid......

i just got off the phone with shep and i guess once it starts to whine its past just needing the rebuild. So ill have to do the rebuild with a new ring and pinion. ooh well, atleast i know now, and i know ill have good stuff.
Old May 8, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DSM GSR04
If you go to sheps website, it says under the catalog section that he upgrades the bolts on the cover of the t-case. Its says the stock bolts allow flexing of the ring and pinion, so this can happen to any evo at anytime, I think its just a matter of luck!

If you've ever taken a TC out of one of these you would probably disagree! =) I wouldn't argue with Shep though, the man is a God amongst men.

Quick Reply: Death Whine strikes again!