Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Death Whine strikes again!

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sucks to hear that, but that was also my first guess. One of my cousins use to own an Evo too. When he brought his Evo in to do some maintenance work, the dealer changed his tc oil. While they were doing it, he kept telling them to put in the right differential oil and they kept saying yes, yes. Well, a week later it started to whine. That dealership ended up replacing his tc two times under warranty. That scared me enough to make me do my own stuff.
Old May 8, 2008, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

i dont understand something, if you did have an upgraded clutch, what does that have to do with a TC...all the clutch is doing is turning the input shaft on the TC, its not directly connected to it.....
Old May 8, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sharkm87
i dont understand something, if you did have an upgraded clutch, what does that have to do with a TC...all the clutch is doing is turning the input shaft on the TC, its not directly connected to it.....
The way they explained it to me was that the factory clutch is designed to be the weak spot on the drivetrain. So the oem clutch will slip more than an aftermarket clutch. If you were to have a Tilton Full Cerametallic Twin Plate Clutch, then the next weakest spot would be the TC, which would be a reason for it going out.

Last edited by jpetro10; May 8, 2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sharkm87
The harsh engagement of some clutches will put alot of shock on the tc.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hope u also had your read diff replaced with the ryt oil. anyway after the rebuild you should be good as new.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jpetro10
Yea i know, lessons learned i guess. But damn, i mean when you tell them multiple times what you want and they tell you they're going to get it, i thought they would know. Oooh well, its just an expensive *** mistake.
The thing with most dealerships service is alot of the employees either never went to a school to learn about fixing cars or just got out and its their first job. The lack of experience does not surprise me. This isn't just mitsubishi, its with just about every car make.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
hope u also had your read diff replaced with the ryt oil. anyway after the rebuild you should be good as new.
yea i made sure to have them do that to. They said the rear diff had a higher tolerance to mess ups like that (the wrong oil), so it shouldnt have any issues. Just the TC, lol.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ this is very true. Also why I prefer doing fluid changes myself.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Red face

The way they explained it to me was that the factory clutch is designed to be the weak spot on the drivetrain. So the oem clutch will slip more than an aftermarket clutch. If you were to have a Tilton Full Cerametallic Twin Plate Clutch, then the next weakest spot would be the TC, which would be a reason for it going out.
ok...i can see that argument..
Old May 8, 2008, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

my car has a wine the day i bought it! never had any problems since so i dont think too much about it, lol!
Old May 9, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JspecEfini
my car has a wine the day i bought it! never had any problems since so i dont think too much about it, lol!

Its probably not the same whine as the transfer case whine.
Old May 11, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

so i have a question to anyone that has had the whine, i made plans a while back to make a trip from Tucson to Phoenix this coming weekend. Normal speed on that trip is about 80-85 for about 1 and 1/2 hours or so. I know the faster i go the louder it gets so I was just a little worried about going, even though the tech at the mitsu dealer said if i needed to i would be able to drive it like this for a while. What are your guys thoughts?
Old May 14, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

so i have a question to anyone that has had the whine, i made plans a while back to make a trip from Tucson to Phoenix this coming weekend. Normal speed on that trip is about 80-85 for about 1 and 1/2 hours or so. I know the faster i go the louder it gets so I was just a little worried about going, even though the tech at the mitsu dealer said if i needed to i would be able to drive it like this for a while. What are your guys thoughts?
dont do it. I had the whine. On my way to the shop, at a stop light car would barely move. I hear people take them and keep riding them with no problem. But im telling you from my experience, car barely moved. Id rather be safe than sorry you know?
Old May 14, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JspecEfini
when does ur car make this whine? at what speeds, rpms, gears?
Old May 14, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

so is the general consensus that death whine strikes everyone? i'm almost 24k, stock clutch, never launch, and 90% of the time shift before 5k rpms aka i drive like a grandma. even i'm not safe?

Quick Reply: Death Whine strikes again!