Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Death Whine strikes again!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Whine strikes again! update on pg2

Whats up fellas, well it happened to me this morning. I have a 2006 Evo IX RS. I drove from Wa to Tucson AZ about 2 weeks ago. I relocated down here. So i was driving to work and I passed a car just left it in 4th, didnt boost much at all, i got around the lady then out of nowhere a LOUD whine starts howling from the front of my car ! I always wondered if i would beable to spot this "DEATH WHINE" if it happened to me, well...theres no mistaking it!

So my question to you guys is, do you think i have ANY chance of getting this covered by a dealer? I did the 30k check up, BUT two things. I did the tranny on my own with redlind lightweight shockproof @ about 34k, THEN i had the dealership i used to work at do the TC and Diff with mitsu oem fluid at about 37k. I do have a reciept for the TC and diff, but not for the tranny or anything else the 30k says to do becuase i did the rest on my own. I would have done the tc and diff on my own to but i was just pressed for time, i guess its a good thing now, lol.

Do you think the miles being over 30k will screw me? Also, i have mods, BUT nothing directly effecting the tc, so im hoping this will save me. I know its a long shot, but i just want to see if you guys have any advice or suggestions.

Last edited by jpetro10; May 8, 2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 7, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what mods and how many miles?
Old May 7, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

as of right now i have about 42k and i just listed the mods in my sig.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

With your mods I doubt you are still covered.

Sorry to hear about your TC, time for an upgrade.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if its your tc going out, wouldn't you hear the whine from the rear of the car and not the front? If its the front whining then wouldn't that be tranny related?
Old May 7, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

^^^nope that would be the rear differential..transfercase is right by the tranny
Old May 7, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

wow, how does this all of a sudden just come out of nowhere. i always thought you could hear it coming on?? if not that kinda makes me cringe a bit.

can anyone explain how after doing like one hard pull the tc could go bad that quickly i dont really understand how it works
Old May 7, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
sound clip please...search youtube for death whine evo and if it sounds like taht then you should plan to replace the TC.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Oki Panoki
wow, how does this all of a sudden just come out of nowhere. i always thought you could hear it coming on?? if not that kinda makes me cringe a bit.

can anyone explain how after doing like one hard pull the tc could go bad that quickly i dont really understand how it works
Mine was all of a sudden, but progressively got louder and louder. It starts in certain gears...at a certain speed.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that sucks if it is the TC but I really think it wouldn't just go all at once with just a 4th gear pull. I would think this would be a progressive failure that gets worse with time. Just get it looked at. GL.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oki Panoki

It wasnt one hard pull that did it. Im sure it was from the previous owner doing launches and what not, and then i wasnt completely nursing it everytime i drove it. I mean with 42k i knew it would happen sooner or later, i was just kinda hoping it would be later, lol.

Ill try and get a sound clip, but i youtubed a few and its identical to the ones on their. It get progressively louder with SPEED not with rpms. but its wierd cuz it almost sounds like its coming from the tranny side?Could it be the tranny making a noise like that? Ill just have to get it in the air and try and identify it.

Last edited by jpetro10; May 7, 2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Take off the meth kit, put stock cat back on, and get a stock factory ROM loaded into ecu, then take it back to the dealership. Do you have extended warranty? You should really try to get it fixed under warranty first since the worst they can do is void your warranty and tell you no. Sounds like your tc must've had a leak or not the right diaqueen differential oil. Yes, the dealership are known to put the wrong oil into your tc. If all else fails, give Shep or TRE a call.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

I just re-read your post. It could be your tranny too. Shep recommends redline mt90 transmission oil.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoHung
I just re-read your post. It could be your tranny too. Shep recommends redline mt90 transmission oil.
i hope this isnt it, i changed it almost 10k ago with the lightweight shockproof. Should i change the tranny back to oem fluid before i take it in?
Old May 7, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by reggiesd
^^^nope that would be the rear differential..transfercase is right by the tranny
o ok thanks now i know

Quick Reply: Death Whine strikes again!