Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

need help bought a autometer gauge

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
need help bought a autometer gauge

ok got home and seen that the back of the gauge did not have a nipple where you slide the black boost line on; instead it comes with this small clearish tubing and says pressure tubing type 1/8"t? i already order a 52mm steering column mount for it did i get the wrong kind of boost gauge (autometer pro-comp ultra-lite) if not then how do i connect the boost line? it give me something i screw on the back of the boost gauge so the small clear tubing can go into the gauge can someone help me out here before i go crasy
Old May 21, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umm yeah.. that's what they all come with.

Unscrew the end, be careful not to drop the little metal piece. The plastic goes inside the cap, screw it together. The "pressure" keeps it stuck together.. hence the pressure fitting.

What's easiest to do is just shove that plastic piece deep inside your rubber tubing and zip tie it in case it actually wants to slip out.

If not, you go to the autoparts store and cuss and curse while you are finding a nipple that would fit since it's not a standard NPT fitting.
Old May 21, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

thank you very much!
Old May 21, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
don't use plastic tubing for the boost line. Go out and get rubber hose/small diameter fuel line. Plastic is crap that comes with autometer. I get all my adapters and such from Pepboys/Discount Autoparts
Old May 21, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
don't use plastic tubing for the boost line. Go out and get rubber hose/small diameter fuel line. Plastic is crap that comes with autometer. I get all my adapters and such from Pepboys/Discount Autoparts
i dont understand what you mean? the gauge doesnt have a nipple on the back were the black rubber boost line slides on like the stock boost gauge! only the small plastic tube they give you fits on the back with a compression lock nut? someone said just slide the plastic tubing that they gave me inside the stock black rubber boost line that i'm unpluging from my stock gauge with some zip ties does that sound right?
Old May 21, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i have an autometer. I knowthey come with the lock nut...change that and get a nipple kind and slip a vacuum hose on it and clamp /zip tie it.

SOmething like this picture, but instead of the threads outside(male) they would be on the inside (female) to mate with the male end on the boost gauge. Make sense?

Just a suggestion.
Old May 21, 2008, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

I've only seen the plastic piece fail when it was routed inside the engine bay.

Ideally yes, you can find a nipple to replace the end, but I am telling you that it is not a classic thread found at most Home Depot and parts type stores.

What my suggestion is to use say.. 4" of the tube that came with it and properly put it in the gauge. That plastic tube is close enough to the inner diameter of the stock rubber hosing, it'll slide into it with a little effort and won't blast off.

Good to go, no need to go busting your head looking for that nipple. At least it's a short term solution for you to get it done now.
Old May 21, 2008, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to hijack your thread, but where is the best place to splice in the T for the boost gauge?
Old May 22, 2008, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spish
Not to hijack your thread, but where is the best place to splice in the T for the boost gauge?
I spliced at the top of the FPR.
Old May 22, 2008, 06:29 AM

I slipped a rubber line over the plastic piece like rice_rocket88 said and have had zero problems with it for 2 years.
Old May 22, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Redline-Z
I spliced at the top of the FPR.
Ditto. Yeah, just get some new vacuum line to replace that plastic stuff. I didn't even attempt to install the gauge with it.
Old May 22, 2008, 06:33 AM

I have a Greddy gauge, mind you, but it had something similar.
Old May 22, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
I've only seen the plastic piece fail when it was routed inside the engine bay.

Ideally yes, you can find a nipple to replace the end, but I am telling you that it is not a classic thread found at most Home Depot and parts type stores.

What my suggestion is to use say.. 4" of the tube that came with it and properly put it in the gauge. That plastic tube is close enough to the inner diameter of the stock rubber hosing, it'll slide into it with a little effort and won't blast off.

Good to go, no need to go busting your head looking for that nipple. At least it's a short term solution for you to get it done now.
ok thanks.....thats what i wanted to hear!
Old May 22, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Use anything but that plastic line! If it gets the littlest kink, that changes the boost readings, especially if you are adjusting boost (i.e boost controller). That can be a big problem!!! Get some rubber hose and get the appropiate hardware.
Old May 22, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

i'm only going to use about four inches your so, not four feet!