Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Caliper fade ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedJunkyz
yeah just paint them....easy as helll....only advice i will give you is let the calipers cure for 24 hours in a cool dry garage before driving.....
+1

Use a high temp primer too and the paint wont bunch up or run nearly as much. Make sure the paint is fully cured before you put them back on too. I learned the hard way and ended up taking my calipers off to do it again.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

One of mine is faded too. I've read that Mitsubishi doesn't warranty the calipers anymore so I never bothered taking it to the dealer. Does anyone know if they still replace them under warranty? It looks kind of dumb having 3 red calipers and one pink one.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metal4all6
One of mine is faded too. I've read that Mitsubishi doesn't warranty the calipers anymore so I never bothered taking it to the dealer. Does anyone know if they still replace them under warranty? It looks kind of dumb having 3 red calipers and one pink one.
+1

I got two pink looking calipers and two red ones. Does anyone know if they would replace the rotors under warranty as well as the calipers?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlueEvo61106
+1

I got two pink looking calipers and two red ones. Does anyone know if they would replace the rotors under warranty as well as the calipers?
Lol...why? Did your rotors make the clear coat strip? Rotors are wear and tear...just like tires, brake pads, clutch...etc.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilentSLJ
+1

Use a high temp primer too and the paint wont bunch up or run nearly as much. Make sure the paint is fully cured before you put them back on too. I learned the hard way and ended up taking my calipers off to do it again.
why did you take them off? and what did you clean them with when you did? I could never get the brake fluid off.....
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:35 PM

why did you take them off? and what did you clean them with when you did? I could never get the brake fluid off.....
Drained out all the old fluid then used a can of brake klean. Let them dry and then used a bucket of soapy water with a wire brush, dried, brake klean again, dried. Primed them first and then put the VHT on after. My mistake was not waiting until the paint was fully cured (impatient idiot) and put them back on. Lots of fingerprint smears.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

wait a second here....ALL brake pads get replaced...what kind you put in there doesn't affect the caliper paint. Upgrading to a higher quality brake line isn't going to have an affect on the paint. A bigger turbo or any other "performance" mod isn't going to affect the caliper paint. Unless you took a brillo pad or sand paper to it, it should be covered under warranty. The mod has to be the reason the part failed. No mod is going to make paint fail.....its a common problem, they know it, we know it.

Did someone really ask if they'll replace the rotor under warranty?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8zip
wait a second here....ALL brake pads get replaced...what kind you put in there doesn't affect the caliper paint.
They absolutely can. Depending on which ones they are, they can easily generate more heat than the stockers. I personally have a 9, and browned out the calipers at the car's first track day, before lunch. The car had roughly 600 miles on it. Excessive use, pads that generate more heat, improper cooling to the rotors, can all have an effect on every single brake component.
IMO, driving on the street doesn't neccesitate steel lines or better pads. If you're driving that hard on the street you should save the money for mods, to repair the crash damage. If you use your car on the track, then you should expect to destroy the caliper's aesthetics, and maybe paint 'em black.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fastkevin
They absolutely can. Depending on which ones they are, they can easily generate more heat than the stockers. I personally have a 9, and browned out the calipers at the car's first track day, before lunch. The car had roughly 600 miles on it. Excessive use, pads that generate more heat, improper cooling to the rotors, can all have an effect on every single brake component.
IMO, driving on the street doesn't neccesitate steel lines or better pads. If you're driving that hard on the street you should save the money for mods, to repair the crash damage. If you use your car on the track, then you should expect to destroy the caliper's aesthetics, and maybe paint 'em black.

Fact is, the clear from the factory is defective, just like on the wing. There are plenty of cars out there that are faster than the Evo and create just as much, if not more heat at the brakes, whos caliper paint/clear doesn't fade/chip. If it was only happening to brake-upgraded Evo's I would let it slide. If it was right from the factory, it wouldn't be an issue, even if different pads create a significant amount of excess heat.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilentSLJ
Drained out all the old fluid then used a can of brake klean. Let them dry and then used a bucket of soapy water with a wire brush, dried, brake klean again, dried. Primed them first and then put the VHT on after. My mistake was not waiting until the paint was fully cured (impatient idiot) and put them back on. Lots of fingerprint smears.
Yeah thats what I did first, but I could never get the old paint to dry or come off from the brake klean... As we all know brake klean eats and loosens paint. So even from the first time I cleaned the caliper with that stuff, I even used soapy water to scrub it and I never got the paint off or atleasted harden back up. I had to put the caliper back on, wait 3 weeks(so the heat harden it up again). Meanwhile I did my front ones whilst they were on the car....still waiting to do the rear.....

SJ
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:30 AM

Yeah thats what I did first, but I could never get the old paint to dry or come off from the brake klean... As we all know brake klean eats and loosens paint. So even from the first time I cleaned the caliper with that stuff, I even used soapy water to scrub it and I never got the paint off or atleasted harden back up. I had to put the caliper back on, wait 3 weeks(so the heat harden it up again). Meanwhile I did my front ones whilst they were on the car....still waiting to do the rear.....

SJ

I don't think Brake Klean is supposed to eat paint. I think it's just designed to neutralize brake fluids and other oils/grease. I have never seen it dissolve paint, but I don't know for sure. I used a high grit sand paper to take off as much paint as I could and smoothed out the chipping areas. If you paint your calipers too much or too many times they won't dissipate heat as much. Then you might as well take them to someone that does media blasting. That's probably your best solution for getting a clean prepped surface.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah brake klean is the same as brake parts cleaner right? Like that CRC stuff? Then yes it eats and loosens paint........If its not the same then I should have used that HAHA.....But mine came out great and I left them on the rotor lol
Old Jul 2, 2008, 08:06 AM

I can tell you what DOES eat caliper paint, and again, I discovered it the hard way. PB blaster does a job on paint. It took all of about 30 seconds to leave spots on a set of painted calipers on my Honda. Great for getting bolts loose though
Old Jul 2, 2008, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

get some vht gloss clear coat spray, clean the calipers well just to get all the oils off and re-clear coat 'em. the red will come back bright and shiny
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:43 PM

any update on this? I have a ix with the same issue on all corners.

Quick Reply: Caliper fade ?