Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Caliper fade ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Caliper fade ?

So while I was washing my car this afternoon, the clearcoat on my passenger rear caliper came off. I mean pretty much the entire thing at once. It wasn't peeling at all before except for maybe a little bit around the bleeder where the rubber cover attaches. It basically came off like a big piece of skin. Weird.

Anyways, I've read that the calipers are covered under the bumper2bumper warranty and was wondering what it took to void that. I have ss lines, ferodo pads, stock rotors, and RBF600 fluid. Anyone have any issues getting calipers replaced with aftermarket pads and such? I did search and didn't find anything stating whether people had brake mods or not.

Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah you are void I believe.... but hell give it a whirl see what happens.......

I actually repainted mine, quick, easy, and fun........
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

What did you paint them with?

Just in case. . .
Old Jun 27, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The duplicolor caliper spray paint is a *perfect* match. I did my fronts...rears are still good. I got my first set warrantied. Like the person above said, changing the lines and such may have voided your chances for a warranty.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
knowing mitsu 99.9% sure they will say voided. But depends which dealer you go to, some allow mods.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Usually if caliper paint is properlly applied it flakes because of high temperatures.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Just out of curiousity, how did you get the "Brembo" font on there? Is there a place where you can order them? Or did you go to a vinyl shop and have it re-created?

I'm going to repaint my calipers too, but I don't want just a flat color caliper with no font on it. "Pair of Nikes with no Swoosh" as someone on this board puts it.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

ebay
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
Just out of curiousity, how did you get the "Brembo" font on there? Is there a place where you can order them? Or did you go to a vinyl shop and have it re-created?

I'm going to repaint my calipers too, but I don't want just a flat color caliper with no font on it. "Pair of Nikes with no Swoosh" as someone on this board puts it.
I believe it was compared with a wingless evo is like nikes with no swoosh I'm sure any vinyl or tint shop can re-create the brembo font for ya. I hope my calipers don't fade anytime soon though.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, this is f*ckin gay. There was no fading or peeling then all of a sudden the whole caliper is clearcoatless. The front of it anyways, the side looks fine. This was with house hose pressure with one of those trigger gun nozzle things too. The other three appear to be completely fine. Maybe I'll just reclear it before the paint gets too contaminated.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey biggie have you talked to Billy Sims at Hall Mitsubishi? I have had pretty good luck with him and he even offered to warranty my front o2 sensor when it went out, even with all the mods I have on my car. He is a very upfront person, so tell him everything you have done and see what he says. If he can't help, I have heard that the guys at Hall in VA beach are very mod friendly. Ask Gary, he can tell you about his experience there.

Josh
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Really? They wouldn't warranty my 4th gear synchro because of the clutch that was in the car that they lied to me about and told me was stock when I bought it (they did in fact know it was there) and told me that I should buy an extended warranty. After I threw a fit, they told me they couldn't "reproduce the problem" even though I couldn't get it to not grind. I guess I'll give it a shot. I really hate that place though, the parts people are cool I guess. Never had a problem with them.

Last edited by biggie5252; Jun 28, 2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

yeah just paint them....easy as helll....only advice i will give you is let the calipers cure for 24 hours in a cool dry garage before driving.....
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by biggie5252
So while I was washing my car this afternoon, the clearcoat on my passenger rear caliper came off. I mean pretty much the entire thing at once. It wasn't peeling at all before except for maybe a little bit around the bleeder where the rubber cover attaches. It basically came off like a big piece of skin. Weird.

Anyways, I've read that the calipers are covered under the bumper2bumper warranty and was wondering what it took to void that. I have ss lines, ferodo pads, stock rotors, and RBF600 fluid. Anyone have any issues getting calipers replaced with aftermarket pads and such? I did search and didn't find anything stating whether people had brake mods or not.

Thanks.
03's and some 04's have that problem.. u can just have them repowder coated in any color
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

he has a nine though, which is strange!......

Quick Reply: Caliper fade ?