Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO based off of Lancer or Lancer Based off of EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2003, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by jemm

That car (its called the "Project Magnum") was driven in local local rallies, various mixed surface sprints and dexterity challenges. Its power/traction & smaller wheelbase + the awesome skills of its driver (R.Rierie) has allowed it to win many a dexterity!!!!

here are some pics :
http://www.wheelsjamaica.com/wheels_...;threadid=7809

maybe Wreckleford can share some light on its internals. I don't have much details. Last i heard the owner defected to subaru.
I just copied over the pic.

I have a picture of the engine bay somewhere but I wouldn't know where to find it. I don't know a lot about this car. It's seems to be the perfect dexterity car, fast, agile and can spin like a gig It has also been used and abused.
Attached Thumbnails EVO based off of Lancer or Lancer Based off of EVO?-mvc-0_daryl__richie.jpg  
Old Aug 20, 2003, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

OK if you put it that way, then yes the USDM is of lower spec compared to the JDM model, but I'm of the opinion that you exaggerate when you said Mitsu slapped some parts on a Lancer and called it the USDM Evo.

Remember, this is only v1.0 of the USDM Evo. Things are just going to get better for you guys...

Originally posted by gtr

I was being scarastic on the comment on cheapest and lightest since it was this mentality of building the first Evolution.

You misunderstood. My USDM Evo is a stripped down car of your JDM version of the evo. We here in the U.S. had some black box engine change/tuned for emissions. We have no ACD, no AYC, no Front LSD, no auto climate control, Fat seats for us larger people ,a stereo not even comparable to yours and a goofy huge antenna.

Our bumpers are even different. Take a look at the rear bumper. The aftermarket exhause made for your JDM version will not work on our USDM Evo due to our larger bumper. Now i just hope our rear bumper is designed ok so it doesn't create sorts of rear lift at high speeds. However I like our USDM evo bumper better
Old Aug 20, 2003, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by NOVA EVO
In the US, it's called the Lancer Evolution, but overseas, it's just the Evolution VIII...bizarro...

Auto manufacturers also use different names in order to get a better insurance loss rating, which makes the car more attractive. Nissan did this with the Altima when it came out years ago...they kept the old "Stanza" name on the rear of the car at first because the Stanza had a really good rating. Perhaps Mitsubishi is doing the same thing with the Evo...after all, insuring a "Lancer" is cheap!
I believe the reason was not able to call it the Evo is because Compaq ( Now HP) has the US trademark for the name Evo for their laptops.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Let me just add my thought on this topic:

Originally posted by Lan Evo

The Lancer series exists way before the EVO series (starting 92, CD9A chassis). The CD9A EVO GSR was developed based on the existing Lancer GSR chassis with the addition of the 4G63 and the corresponding AWD system. So goes the EVO II and EVO III, which also based on the similar based platform, with a different chassis code of CE9A.

Then in mid-late 1995, the new body Lancer (5G Mirage) was debut and that is BEFORE the production of EVO IV (CN9A).

The R&D of EVO VII was NOT in effect (due to shortage of fund AND the recall scandal) after the current generation Lancer was developed. It took Mitsubishi over 2 years to get the EVO VII on the market...

Mitsubishi generates the majority of its revenue by selling the "bread-and-butter" models like regular Lancer and Galant. Logically speaking, do you think its financially feasable for a car company to develop a platform for a model with small target market rather than another model with much much bigger one?

I stick with my statement, and I don't see anything proving me incorrect with hard facts.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by sccavee

I believe the reason was not able to call it the Evo is because Compaq ( Now HP) has the US trademark for the name Evo for their laptops.
You can probably find a hundred EVO trademark applications that don't infringe Compaq's trademark of EVO because Compaq's is only protected for use with computers. Mitsubishi has already filed US trademark applications for:
Lancer Evo
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution VII
Lancer Evolution VIII
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

They couldn't register just "Evolution", however.

It's the sole reason why the US has "Lancer Evolution" trunk badge on top of one another, as opposed to Lancer on one side and Evolution on the other. (find a pic of a JDM trunk and you'll see what I mean).

That's also why the little gauge cluster in our Evo's read "Lancer" instead of "Evolution"... damn copyright laws.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zstryder
They couldn't register just "Evolution", however.
Given that the Mercedes Benz 190E Evolution was first sold in 1989 and the much-wilder Mercedes Benz 190E Evolution II was first sold in 1990, I guess Mitsubishi is paying the price for its unoriginality.

Yes, DaimlerChrysler has a longstanding application (filed in 1994) pending for the US trademark on "Evolution" when used for automobiles. Maybe the reason it hasn't received a registration number yet is that Mitsubishi has been contesting it all these years.

Last edited by Señor Info; Aug 20, 2003 at 12:38 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 12:35 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by zstryder
That's also why the little gauge cluster in our Evo's read "Lancer" instead of "Evolution"... damn copyright laws.
Interesting. I learn something new everyday. I always wonder why it says lancer instead of evolution.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:35 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr

Interesting. I learn something new everyday. I always wonder why it says lancer instead of evolution.
gtr, themothership told us something similar a while back.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:53 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like both themothership and Claudius has left us

Anyway if themothership said it, it must be true. SO far he is was always right even b4 the car has arrived
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Señor Info
Maybe the reason it hasn't received a registration number yet is that Mitsubishi has been contesting it all these years.
Oh the irony. They have to contest with a company that has a 37% stake in them.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GPTourer

I don't see how the insurance thing would work. Your insurance company is going to ask you what kind of Mustang you have, so Mustang Cobra is going to hurt more then Mustang Coupe (V6), so why would Stanza Altima, be any safer then just Altima?
I think you misunderstood me...the Stanza had a very good loss rating for auto insurance purposes, which made it cheap to insure, so by merely putting the Stanza name on the Altima, it made it cheaper to insure. Remember, this was many years ago when the Altima first came out...it was a much different car than the current Altima.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, my wife's car is a Matrix...the owner's manual says Corolla Matrix on the cover, and the VIN comes up as a Corolla on my auto insurance. The Matrix is really a Corolla with a wagon/hatchback body on it.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Now is that the Matrix with the 1ZZ-FE from the Corolla or the 180 HP (code fails me currently) motor from the Celica GT-S? I wonder if they'd show up differently based on motor since I know the Matrix XR5 (I hope that's the fast one) shares so many underpinnings with the Celica.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by NOVA EVO
BTW, my wife's car is a Matrix...the owner's manual says Corolla Matrix on the cover, and the VIN comes up as a Corolla on my auto insurance. The Matrix is really a Corolla with a wagon/hatchback body on it.
Probably one of the reasons the Corolla remains the world's best selling car.