Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Many Evo 7's in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2002, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Many Evo 7's in the US?

Anyone know how many evos they are going to bring over to the US??? my luck the dealers are only gonna get 1 around here and have 100 people that wanna pay anything for it..
Old Apr 26, 2002, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
probably only the big mitsu dealers are gonna get like 4-5, smaller ones arent gonna risk stocking it...maybe 1 or 2... i'm expecting to pay over MSRP... like i read in some other thread, mitsubishi doesnt nessesarily need to make millions off the Evo, they could intentionally upset the supply and demand and make the lack of Evos the talk of the town, the rarity and the show of appreciation from buyers will therefore boost their company image.... well thats worst case scenario... lets all keep our fingers crossed, but i doubt they're gonna send any more than 3500 over, which when ur talkin nationwide, is nothing...
Old Apr 26, 2002, 09:20 PM

that sucks... Im gonna have to sell one of my cars just to get some $$$ to hold the damn thing or have one ordered... luckily there are a few big cities around me...
Old Apr 26, 2002, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

what about ordering online??
Old Apr 27, 2002, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone know if this 3500 figure is just an initial figure for when the evo is first released, and if they will eventually ship more over say six months down the line? And what about just ordering your evo the way you want it anyway and waiting for it to come in. What sense does it make to spend so much money on the car that we all love and dream about, if you cant even get it in the color you want? If your going to go all out for it in the first place, shouldnt it be exactly the way you always dreamed. Maybe waiting those extra couple of months to get it will pay off in the long run, getting exactly what you want with all the options you want. Any comments???
Old Apr 29, 2002, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

From what I heard from someone who works for Mitsubishi Design in Cypress CA, they plan to make the Evo as available as a regular car. They plan to make it an alternative choice to the WRX and the WRX Sti. Of course he only commented on what he's heard unofficially. I think initially there will be waiting lists for the first shipments much like what happened with the VW Beetle, but within a few months demand will fall below what they can supply. After all, the Evo is going to appeal to a smaller, enthusiast market as opposed to something like the Beetle that has a broader appeal. Also, since they are going to the trouble of making an Evo that meets the US standards, it only makes sense for them to produce as many as they can sell to recover their development costs, strictly from a manufacturing stand point. Mitsubishi doesn't see a dime of the dealer mark up, and can only really make more money by producing more cars. Yes, it is a car that's meant to boost their image, but it is no Ferrari or Porsche for them to care about only supplying a limited amount of cars to retain a mystique about the car.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm from New York and went to a few dealers. They all said they are going to receive 11 evo's and most have up to 5 already spoken for. Unfortunately they say that around 8 of the first 11 will be yellow. This is prolly all b.s. but might as well pass the info.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 01:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by s4awd
Unfortunately they say that around 8 of the first 11 will be yellow.
Based on the color sales (and what I see) of the ES, LS, and OZ Lancers that would not suprise me in the slightest. Who wants an AWD Turbo Twinkie?

Seriously though, it wouldn't be awful to repaint it...and you could get some nasty custom colors. Chances are if you can afford a 30k car you can scrimp and save for a new paint job. Like you said though...prolly BS.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

yeah we should just chill and let it happen... nothing's official as of yet, no reason to get all worried... the Evo should be our source of enjoyment! not worries

but i'll still chop my own head off if i'm stuck with a yellow evo... oh well new paint job... and atleast its an Evo

and hey, if it sucks so bad that all the Evos are gone around you, go fly to some bumf**K town, get one and drive it back or something! theres always a way
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

There is NO WAY I would have a new car repainted. A complete color change is far from easy or cheap either. I did a complete color change on my Mustang. It basically had to be stripped to its bare shell. The motor, tranny, and interior were all removed for the color change. Also, there is alot of prep work. You will spend $5000+ for a good job. I will wait an extra year if I have to, to get the color I want before I have my new car repainted...makes no sense
Old Apr 29, 2002, 03:02 AM

A full repaint also effects the resale value.
But if you plan on never selling it than that doesn't matter does it?
Old Apr 29, 2002, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Now that I really start to think about it, I think im starting to agree with the guy who said we should be happy that its at least comming here. Hell, as long as the car performs 3/4 as well as its j-spec and eurospec counterparts, you can make my evo polkadot for all I care. It will be the ugliest fastest and best handling car on the road! Anyone with me on that?! No...hmmm...maybe polkadot is a bit of a stretch.....
Old Apr 29, 2002, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EvoRider36
Now that I really start to think about it, I think im starting to agree with the guy who said we should be happy that its at least comming here. Hell, as long as the car performs 3/4 as well as its j-spec and eurospec counterparts, you can make my evo polkadot for all I care. It will be the ugliest fastest and best handling car on the road! Anyone with me on that?! No...hmmm...maybe polkadot is a bit of a stretch.....
nod nod