Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mivec IX vs VIII

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mivec IX vs VIII

Hey guys and gals i currently have a IX MR and absolutley love it. Coming from a honda S2000 hands down more fun to drive.

Well here is the skinny on my post. I rushed into buying this car cause it was low miles and local. I should have done more research before hand but after test drving the car i was hooked and wanted it.

I do alot of auto X and some open track days, but it is hard to keep up with costs on this thing and run it in the class i want since i basically make a house payment for it with insurance included.

So for my situation im thinking about going to an RS but not sure if i should spend the extra money for a IX or save some with an VIII.

Long story short is MIVEC really worth it with light mods and a tune since i will be running the car in STU for any of you auto x guys out there will i notice a difference after mods?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

good luck finding an RS , and it wont be cheap either , better off start takign stuff off ur MR and lower the weight
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

your going to hear from alot of viii owners that mivec isnt worth the extra dough. i challenge you, talk to any real tuner, and they will tell you the same thing, the variable valve timing in the ix's allow for better and more tuning.

uneducated viii owners will tell you that upgraded cams in a ix arent really worth it, but thats only because whoever tuned their car doesnt know squat. do a search on here, and call around to a couple big evo tuning shops, and they will tell you that a mivec head can put down bigger numbers than a non mivec head.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:15 AM

Thats pretty much what im looking for. Since the car is going to be only slightly modded, pretty much TBE and intake with a mild tune. The STU class does not allow any changes to engine internals or turbos so it is moslty suspension and brake upgrades in the class.

By the sounds of it the slightly larger turbo and mivec are gonna net me better numbers with those small mods.

Ive seen a few STU RS evos and they are fast, both VIII and IX's but every bit helps i guess
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

the IX also has a better turbo, yes?

I know this, when I got my car tuned at Buschurs, I was there long enough to see like 5 cars tuned. Some 8's, some 9's. IX's with same mods as the VIII's were making more power, period.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

yes the ix has the biggest stock turbo in the "true" evolution (1-9) series.

are you allowed to remap the ecu? you will see instant gains when you tune even a stock evo on a dyno.

right now, my car (stock turbo9) has all bolt ons, i have cams, but have yet to install them. the car has a custom tune, and is a real beast. i cant believe how fast and responsive it is.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

The s2000 does require significant financial inputs before the car becomes more exciting to drive than an EVO. Right out of the box the EVO whoops. I had an s2000 with a comptech blower and after cooler, and despite a stock bottom end and 9k rpm shifts, i still perfer my taller EVO. Still, nothing i think is as tossable as an S2000 mainly due do where the engine sits, but the EVO does get close in stock form.

I would say this, if MIVEC really isn';t worth it, then that would make the 4b11 even more worthless. The fact remains that although MIVEC by itself does little on the 4g63, when MIVEC tuning is used to gain efficency for the turbo, that's when you begin to see the benefits. So to answer your question about MIVEC being worth the money, would you rather have the ability to gain more control of your turbo, or not?

VIII owners just see that Mivec does little, and yes, MIVEC does little to give you horsepower, but it does give you better turbo spool -sooner, and more responsive- and provides for a smooth running engine that further extends the tuning capabilities of the EVO.

There is a reason why the 4b11 is easily making more HP with a simple tune, than VIII and XI with significantly more bolt ons, is because of improve tuning capabilites from the newly designed top end which has MIVEC employed on both cams, thus resulting in increased head flow. Don't get me wrong, this doesn't automatically make the X faster, in fact, the IX is probably going to be the fastest for a long time because of its low weight, and bullet proof motor design.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:31 AM

The ecu can be tuned but boost can not be directly increased...however from my understanding any mods that indirectly increase boost are allowed all other ecu functions can be adjusted timing, fuel and air and on and on.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

can we quit saying that VIII owners don't realize the benefits of MIVEC? Thats a pretty broad statement to make and is probably mostly inaccurate.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fevo
good luck finding an RS , and it wont be cheap either , better off start takign stuff off ur MR and lower the weight
++++1
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=360310

I dunno, this doesnt look like that bad of a deal. The kbb is around 24. Thats a pretty good price.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:12 AM

That is a nice one and if mine was gone and i was willing to go to Cali which i think thats where that is i would buy that one. Good price for what it comes with.

white is by far my favorite color
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had an 03 and now have an 06. Both modded to the same power level.

Mivec is nice but the only time I really notice an improvement is during partial throttle transitions under boost. From a dead stop using LC mivec makes no difference. The fact that the 9 has better cams does make a difference as they are comparable to EVO8 HKS 272s and mivec is alot like having cam gears.

Mivec is nice if you don't want to dick with swapping cams and dialing in cam gears but it certainly isn't night and day when it comes to power.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
on the IX the mivec makes a big difference vs the VIII. Also the IX have bigger turbo and more cool efficient head . SO if you can buy the IX over VIII. it is worth the extra money for sure.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

i would say that not only mivec but also a better turbo, you are probably talking extra 10-15hp with intake mivec, better response with stock 9 turbo,and add i think 10HP bump going from 8 to 9, but if you get an VIII RS, you will probably shave 100-150lbs off car which will more than compensate for that.

by the way i did see a few RS for sale, a red 05VIII i belive, just the other day

Originally Posted by Barn_13
Thats pretty much what im looking for. Since the car is going to be only slightly modded, pretty much TBE and intake with a mild tune. The STU class does not allow any changes to engine internals or turbos so it is moslty suspension and brake upgrades in the class.

By the sounds of it the slightly larger turbo and mivec are gonna net me better numbers with those small mods.

Ive seen a few STU RS evos and they are fast, both VIII and IX's but every bit helps i guess

Quick Reply: Mivec IX vs VIII