Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

An Inconvenient Truth… About JDM - aka "The Death of Innovation"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entrepreneur and Copy cat don't go hand in hand. There are actual companies that come up with their own designs, I know I work for one. Maybe one day you'll understand when you work hard to create something to only have someone come along and copy your work and profit from your designs, then when this happens come and tell me how you feel. I can Only imagine what that is like, it must feel terrible for someone to steal your ideas.
Innovation, Entrepreneurial, does not equate to theft ... there is a right way and a wrong way. Stealing is stealing, not unlike someone breaking into your house and taking your stuff...how is it any different?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

pfft uhh.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:20 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Q@EvoPowerMods
Entrepreneur and Copy cat don't go hand in hand. There are actual companies that come up with their own designs, I know I work for one. Maybe one day you'll understand when you work hard to create something to only have someone come along and copy your work and profit from your designs, then when this happens come and tell me how you feel. I can Only imagine what that is like, it must feel terrible for someone to steal your ideas.
Innovation, Entrepreneurial, does not equate to theft ... there is a right way and a wrong way. Stealing is stealing, not unlike someone breaking into your house and taking your stuff...how is it any different?
I couldn't have said it better myself
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
That's why I only buy JDM, Varis...HKS, JUNauto, oh and Ohlins........I don't have time for fake crap and you usually end up spending more money replacing the trash you bought in the first place if it isn't authentic.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People will still buy authentic parts for the quality, fit and finish. I don't think that the person willing to throw 1000+ at a hood will then turn around and say hey i'll get this crappier seibon version.

The people that are buying the seibon are people that could never have afforded the original hood in the first place. And yes it's not right and I don't like it, but ricers will be ricers. They can't afford real stuff, so they would rather "look" like they do.

I still think if people have the money to afford real jdm parts, they will buy it. And when I can't justify paying brand new price for jdm parts I buy used jdm parts, which is what others should do.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Q@EvoPowerMods
I completely agree. All I am saying is that it happens all of the time. For example. the Do-Luck lip for an evo 8 is what... $700-800 ?? I have a Blacktop lip, same design, it was $300. So should I pay $500 for Research and Development? Look at all the companies that directly copy the real Do-luck lip...there is Blacktop, Rexpeed, JDP, VIS, Seibon, countless ebay knock-offs, etc..

Im just using this as an example b/c I don't have experience buying c/f hoods(but I have gone through 3 lips )

Now obviously the actual production costs of these lips is considerably less than $800, which is evident because countless others are able to manufacture for cheaper. So is it worth it for the "TRUE JDMness" ?? Sounds like a rip off to me...

Im gonna get my head ripped off for this post I bet.......
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Well; look at it this way. It takes effort, time, investment to COPY any product. If these Copy-Cat companies used all that effort to produce their own products then no-one would have any issues with that. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to copy a product..such a waste...they could be designing their own original products..boo boo boo..bad copycat !
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:07 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DrivelineSales
You will still find that to be the case with many companies. You have to literally (well figuratively ) bend over and touch your toes before they even consider doing business with you.
Seibon is cheap sh*t knock off.

Even in post 19 in this thread I said it https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=373771&page=2
Old Nov 26, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
People will still buy authentic parts for the quality, fit and finish. I don't think that the person willing to throw 1000+ at a hood will then turn around and say hey i'll get this crappier seibon version.

The people that are buying the seibon are people that could never have afforded the original hood in the first place. And yes it's not right and I don't like it, but ricers will be ricers. They can't afford real stuff, so they would rather "look" like they do.

I still think if people have the money to afford real jdm parts, they will buy it. And when I can't justify paying brand new price for jdm parts I buy used jdm parts, which is what others should do.
HUH

some people will always be suckers and waste money. Have you ever even seen a seibon hood? anyways i cant believe this thread is over a cosmetic mod. Its retarded even considering buying a carbon hood for your evo. The stock evo hood is light to begin with.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killthelights14
HUH

some people will always be suckers and waste money. Have you ever even seen a seibon hood? anyways i cant believe this thread is over a cosmetic mod. Its retarded even considering buying a carbon hood for your evo. The stock evo hood is light to begin with.
For the casual user, I would agree. However, if you're serious about racing and can gain a few tenths of a second around a roadcourse, then the Varis hood is worth every penny.

Not sure what all the whining is about, though. Seriously, if Varis and others really wanted to protect some of their more innovative designs, they should try to patent them, so that they can then go after the copycats in court. Of course that takes time and money too, but that's the way the system is set up.

I certainly don't condone cheap knock-offs, nor am I really interested in boosting a foreign economy via high-priced imported parts ... which is why most of the aftermarket parts on my car are pure, ORIGINAL ... USDM! I look at the price of some of the JDM stuff, and a lot of times for that kind of money I can swing by a shop like AMS and have them custom fab something that is exactly to my specs. Point-in-case, my CAI intake box. I could have gone with something like the ARC box, but for the same amount of money I had AMS turn my own CAI idea into reality.

l8r)
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:20 PM

wow. its kind of a wakeup call!!!