Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: What would you do in my shoes?
Put $18K into RS and make it into an STi eater
18.18%
Take the $18k and put it down towards an EVO 8 or 9 (only 8 or 9)
56.57%
Die in a missile attack
25.25%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

I have dilemma, I need my fellow EVO folks to chime in.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow I have dilemma, I need my fellow EVO folks to chime in.

Hey,

I don't normally post, mostly a lurker, I usually post on NASIOC and i-club, but I've found that NASIOC is more of a prison than a forum, so they can die in a fire.

Anyway, I'm a Subaru/EVO lover, 50/50, I have been wanting an EVO since 1997, however since they weren't available back then (here at least) I chose to go the Subaru route. I bought a 2000 2.5RS in 1999 that beat the hell out of on track days and auto-x courses, lots of suspension mods, minor engine mods since I didn't need the power for what I was doing... As time drew, the Evolution was unveiled and I wanted one more than ever, however, I was so familiar with Subies that I stuck with the Subaru route, and in 2005 I took delivery of a 2.5L 2006 WRX which I loved and drove to hell and back, sadly my last drive with her was a few nights ago when I wrapped her around a tree when avoiding 3 deer. I hit the tree going 35-40mph, I wasn't racing or anything, it was a canyon road, narrow, dark, and little room for adjustment and I took the tree instead of the deer, the last thing I wanted was to get impaled by a deer.

Anyhow, here's the problem:

I now have a freshly totaled 2006 WRX that the insurance co just bought from me for $18,000, and that leaves me some options.

1. I still have my 2000 RS that I've beat the hell out of, has some slight body damage from my wife driving it, needs new suspension but overall is a good car still. My intent would to strip everything from it, including the drive train, add 2005 STi motor with 6 speed (non-glass version), put in a cage to reduce chassis flex (GC's are NOTORIOUS for flex), as well as brakes, suspension, and whatever other bits to complete it mechanically, then put a fresh coat of paint on it with a wide body 22B fender kit and run some 265s... All this can be achieved for about $18,000 + the car. That is the first option, I know you true grassroots enthusiasts will appreciate it, but I want to get the full spectrum opinion.

2. Take the $18k and buy a used EVO 8 or 9 (EVO X is out of the question), which means I'd have to throw in another $7 to get a nice low mileage EVO.

3. Then there's option #3, which means to revert the 2.5RS back to full stock, sell it and combine it with the 18K and get the said EVO which will rid me of the third car we have, but it's hard to just sell that RS... So many memories in it and to sell it for what, like 7k? Doesn't seem to be worth it, I think I'd rather just keep it. So it's basically between option 1 and 2.

Sorry for the long drawn out post, I wanted to get opinions from both sides.

PS: I'm already in contact with someone who totaled their 2006 STI from a roll over, they are selling the entire car for $6,500, 14k miles.

HONESTLY, What would you do?

Thanks,

brucelee
Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

end yourself
Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

You said you wanted a EVO before but they were never available then you said you were more familiar with Subies so you went that route..I would touch up the subie and sell it because then all you need is a few grand more and you can buy a EVO. Evos will be cheaper to mod and easier to make more power. The engine is easier to work with too. I know this because I have a few friends with modded WRX's and they all said if they could do it over again they would have gotten a Evo.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

i would go with #1...those subies are awesome looking and are really quick when modded...especially with the mods your planning on doing.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by juanmedina
end yourself
Shut it, newbie.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by reggiesd
i would go with #1...those subies are awesome looking and are really quick when modded...especially with the mods your planning on doing.

Those RS are really light and with 400whp it will be a blast. If I was you I would get an already modded EVOIII 04-05, you can get those for about 20K. I have a similar issue I have an 07 WRX with a VF39 but want more power. I am devating between geeting PPGs or a STi tranny + a rotated kit that will cost me about 12K with all the supporting mods or getting a use modded EVO for 20K. I think I will go with EVO.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 07:08 AM

I vote option 3. Put the Auto-X Suby back together as best as possible, and try to sell it.

For entertainment sake we'll say you get 4k for it. For 22k you can get a pretty damn good Evo VIII for that price. Unless you want toss more $$ at it an go for a low mileage IX. Or you could pick up and RS for about 20k.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=360572

Do you have 26K, get this. Fully build by Buschur that thing will not break and you can probably get it for 24K (thats the kind of deal I'm looking for but I have some priorities right now ).

Brucelee do you miss OT ?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by juanmedina
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=360572

Do you have 26K, get this. Fully build by Buschur that thing will not break and you can probably get it for 24K (thats the kind of deal I'm looking for but I have some priorities right now ).

Brucelee do you miss OT ?

Not even a little... OT is a big flame fest with a bunch of retards... The few friends I had there have either been banned by the iron fist, or have left on their own because their realized what a douche-fest it was... I was there only to be a bigger douche to the douches... and even that got old... They can have their own little circle jerk, however I do miss a few folks that I've known for years... I don't know 95% of the folks who post there, I stopped looking at screen names like 6 years ago which is why I don't recognize you. No offense. Back to the topic.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 07:31 AM

Regarding the weight of the RS, stock the weight is around 2700lbs, easily stipped down to 2600lbs and with the small body and insane power, you really can't beat the thing unless you're in a miata with turbo.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 07:44 AM

Get an evo mang
Old Oct 1, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

I voted #2. The fact your asking this question makes me think that pouring a bunch of money and time into your 2.5RS isn't the best solution. Its a poor financial choice, your will never get close $25K for an old 2.5RS STi Conversion. I am not saying that its not not a good choice for someo people, but I really want to do an expensive conversion I would be 100% convinced its the right choice.

A nice Evo 9 will cost more than 18K but you can find nice Evo 8's for not much more than $18K.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
missile attack sweet!!
Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

go with the Evo.. you can find slightly used evo for around 20k to 24k..
Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

i would go with the missile attack!

Quick Reply: I have dilemma, I need my fellow EVO folks to chime in.